Okay, dont flame me but I am new to basses, i usually play guitar. Ive been wanting to have and play a bass for awhile. I dont know anything about basses so i dont know whats good. I played my friends in Florida a little.
Any suggestions on a good bass for metal?
Budget would help... Have you tried the stickied FAQ?
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by AboveTheBridge
Budget would help... Have you tried the stickied FAQ?

Yes.
Im willing to pay anything under 700ish not counting amp or anything.

And another question, should i get a 5 or 4 string?

I looked up the GSR 200 Ibanez and im not to crazy about it. Its too much of a practice bass. I dont want something im just going to replace. Sorry.
Last edited by Luizza69 at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by Luizza69
Yes.
Im willing to pay anything under 700ish not counting amp or anything.

And another question, should i get a 5 or 4 string?

Just start with a four string.

Although, since you play metal, you wouldn't be bad off with a 5-string. It's personal preference, really.
The.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^^I think if a person can get to grips with that low B, then they should get a five string, if only to get better with their economic playing.

The problem is that if a beginner picks up a 5-string for the first time and sticks with it, they get accustomed to it and get lost when they try a 4-string. The low B string should be extra, not standard (unless you plan on being in a band that plays with 7-string guitars the rest of your life).
Quote by pwrmax
The problem is that if a beginner picks up a 5-string for the first time and sticks with it, they get accustomed to it and get lost when they try a 4-string. The low B string should be extra, not standard (unless you plan on being in a band that plays with 7-string guitars the rest of your life).

There's no "should" about it. So what if they get accustomed to the low B? They may 5 string versions of pretty much everything these days anyway. I've grown accustomed to the low B, but at the same time, really don't see me going back to string basses. I don't play in a band with seven string guitars, but make great use out of that low B. Personally, five strings are standard to me, and there's nothing wrong with that. And there's nothing wrong in a beginner wanting to play a fiver as standard either.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
There's no "should" about it. So what if they get accustomed to the low B? They may 5 string versions of pretty much everything these days anyway. I've grown accustomed to the low B, but at the same time, really don't see me going back to string basses. I don't play in a band with seven string guitars, but make great use out of that low B. Personally, five strings are standard to me, and there's nothing wrong with that. And there's nothing wrong in a beginner wanting to play a fiver as standard either.

I guess it varies from person to person. A good bass player should be able play both 4 and 5 strings and which one is easier to switch to depends on the player.
Quote by pwrmax
I guess it varies from person to person. A good bass player should be able play both 4 and 5 strings and which one is easier to switch to depends on the player.

I really don't think that's the case. Personally, it'd take a special kind of 4 string to take me away from the better economy of motion a fiver gives me. Does that make me any less of a bassist? No. I simply know what I want from a bass and know how to get it.
Quote by pwrmax

how is this any different than using a 4 string and then adjusting to a 5 string?

pick what you want to play, don't let someone else's views on what should be the standard influence what is your standard.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
how is this any different than using a 4 string and then adjusting to a 5 string?

Going from 4 to 5 strings gives you have something extra to use whereas going from 5 to 4 takes away something that you're used to. I don't think it really matters what he starts out on though, I do apologize for starting this debate. I just consider versatility a virtue.
Quote by pwrmax
Going from 4 to 5 strings gives you have something extra to use whereas going from 5 to 4 takes away something that you're used to. I don't think it really matters what he starts out on though, I do apologize for starting this debate. I just consider versatility a virtue.

starting on a 5 isn't going to make you less versatile. I find it easy to go back to a 4 after playing on a 5 than I do going from a 4 to a 5.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Honestly man, just grab an Ibanez Atk300 lol. It's a cheap solid bass. I own 7 basses and I still love playing it
Squire VM Jazz is a very good all round bass, that works perfectly in metal. If you want, you could make that a MIM if you have the money, though the VM is incredible for the price.

Out of interest, what amp are you going to run through, as the amp is most of your tone?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Really if your looking to spend such an amount, go out and play some basses, that's all there is to it. Also, TS, why do you want to spend such a large amount of a new instrument that you may not want to stick with?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by www trade9 net
you may come to our web:www.trade9.net

we have some really good guitars for you to choose

thank you for your time

*Reported*

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Sidestepping the 4/5 argument...For $700 and metal I'd be looking at Ibanez SR/SRX or ATK, Schecter Stiletto, Spector (Legend, iirc) et cetera. Something with a bridge humbucker and active EQ is my suggestion.
I'm just worried that by looking at the gear in his profile, he may not have a bass amp. I only see guitar gear, which suggests that he may think that he will be able to use a guitar amp for his bass.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I'm just worried that by looking at the gear in his profile, he may not have a bass amp. I only see guitar gear, which suggests that he may think that he will be able to use a guitar amp for his bass.
He says he's read the FAQ.
Quote by smb
He says he's read the FAQ.

People tent to skim over the sections that they aren't looking for. In this case, he would be looking for the beginner bass section. It would be far worse if he were to get an expensive bass and waste it destroying a guitar amp, than to have the question asked.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Im thinking about a line 6 Studio 110 for an amp, just for practice until i'd need a bigger amp for a show, but i dont have a band right now so thats pretty far away from here.

I already know how to play bass okay kinda beginner/intermediate area. I cant play Les Claypool stuff, but i can do some good songs, and i never use a pick on bass.
Quote by Luizza69
Im thinking about a line 6 Studio 110 for an amp, just for practice until i'd need a bigger amp for a show, but i dont have a band right now so thats pretty far away from here.

I already know how to play bass okay kinda beginner/intermediate area. I cant play Les Claypool stuff, but i can do some good songs, and i never use a pick on bass.

Line 6 aren't great. They don't have exceptional volume for the power rating and the tone is on the bland side. The only real selling point is the built in effects.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Luizza69

I have only two main rule when it comes to bass amps, avoid Behringer and Line6. Despite the popularity of Line 6's guitar amps, they know next to nothing about bass amps, avoid.

Also how long exactly have you been playing. I've been playing a year and I'd say I was still a beginner...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I gig with the gsr200, fantastic bass IMO. The reason its cheaper is because the hardware is lower quality but the sounds you can get out of it are great.
Quote by ChemicalFire
I have only two main rule when it comes to bass amps, avoid Behringer and Line6. Despite the popularity of Line 6's guitar amps, they know next to nothing about bass amps, avoid.

Also how long exactly have you been playing. I've been playing a year and I'd say I was still a beginner...

Eh, i didnt know their bass amps were crappy. I like their guitar amps alot though, and their effects pedals. btw what do you guys think about their amps and pedals? Im getting their spider amp soon. Anyway, i played my friend in florida's bass and he is a bass GOD so he taught me as much as he could. So i say i only played on it for a 5 month period but he did teach me exceptionally well.