I have a black Gibson SG faded and I want an upgrade, but I don't have $1500+ to get a newer, better guitar.
I was thinking of putting in new pickups. I don't know what to get. I play almost every type of music, but mostly rock/metal. I was thinking either Burstbuckers or something. Any suggestions? Has anyone tried WCR hand wound pickups? Are they any good? Are there any better guitars that are under like $800? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Ftw
Seymour Duncan Custom or Custom 5. they're perfect for any kind of music.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Duncan Blackouts are nice and so are The JB and '59 Models. I am ordering a Blackout for my project :-D
if im correct, blackouts are high-output active pickups so it would require a battery compartment somewhere, and are only really good for metal and hard rock. there not really versatile.

you could stick with Gibson pups and get the Burstbucker, or go with SD and get either the Seymour Duncan Custom or Custom 5. either one is fine.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
gibson '57 classics dog. Got 'em in my Paul. Likin' 'em in my Paul.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Quote by bjovi400
if im correct, blackouts are high-output active pickups so it would require a battery compartment somewhere, and are only really good for metal and hard rock. there not really versatile.

you could stick with Gibson pups and get the Burstbucker, or go with SD and get either the Seymour Duncan Custom or Custom 5. either one is fine.

This is untrue in 2 ways.

1. Often the battery can fit in the exsisting routed area for the pots with no modification.
2. They can make awsome clean tones. David Gilmour and many others use them. Just beacuse Zakk Wylde has signature EMGS doesn't mean thats the only sound that can be made with them. Don't talk when you dont know what the **** your talking about it doesnt help anyone.

To the TS you mentioned you play a variety of music and you want to upgrade. You might want to think about what specifically in your sound your looking for. You dont mention whats lacking with your current setup. Think of your dream guitar tone and then reaserch how to achieve it. It also helps to have different setups specifically for certain styles rather than trying to have a universal guitar for everything you play. Spend some more time thinking about what it is that you really need/want before you do anything. Don't just think i have money to spend what should i buy and be carefull at GC they will encourage you to buy anything you seem to be interested in.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Jun 11, 2008,
hey ****head, in my original post, i said,
Quote by bjovi400

i didnt say, 'you'll need to rout space for a new one'. you think i don't already know this? its common sense for anyone who has taken a guitar apart.

and yes David Gilmour has used active pickups, EMG's to be exact, but then again this sends me back to my original post. i said
Quote by bjovi400
...are only really good for metal and hard rock...

look at SD's website. this is a direct quote from there
9-volt active humbucker for aggressive playing styles. Recommended for old school metal, garage, punk, thrash, drop tunings, and other heavy rock styles.

this is exactly what i said, and i said this from my own experience with these pickups. so shut the hell up and dont tell me i dont know ****, when i clearly do.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

lmfao, that's about the gayest come back i think I've ever heard. what ever man, TS, if u want a pickup that's versatile, Gibson makes some really good ones like a 57 Classic Plus, BurstBucker, BurstBucker Pro, Dirty Fingers, etc. they are all great sounding pups that are good for anything.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Jeff Beck Trembucker? I haven't tried one myself, but my mate is running one through a Strat and loves it.

EDIT: That was such a **** come back, haha. Besides, Bon Jovi is a great band.