Hello UG Users,

I am new to buying amps, and i have come across the Line 6 Spider III Half stack which I am very keen on buying!

Does anyone else own this amp!? Is it any good?
Also, this may sound like a stupid question, but, can you run YOUR OWN effects pedals through the amp (i have a DIGITECH RP-100 Processor which i love can i run this through the amp?)

Also, does anyone know of any other similar amps in my price range that they recommend?

ALL help would be appreciated so much!

Thank you!

ToM
XxX
Have not tried a spider myself, but if you read some on the forums you will find out that they ....suck
Gear: ESP Horizon
Not a good choice for the money.

What's your budget and what types of music do you want to play?
Last edited by T!AN at Jun 10, 2008,
If you love that Digitech than truth be told, you probably WILL love the Spider... for the time being, until your ear matures and you realize that your tone's awful.

It feels cliche'd to say... but you'd be better off with a tube combo.
TS should activate flameshield
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
yup.. if you like the sound of the digitech you'll like the spider but the digitech is a piece of crap along with the spider.. both are completely amateur, cheesy, flat, thin, very digital and fake, and overall immature sounding.

rather then blowing all this cash on a piece of crap solid state spider half stack you could get a decent little tube amp instead that will most likely be at least just as loud (and since it's tube the maximum volume won't kill your ears like on the spider) and the tone will be at least 5,000 times better.

spiders SUCK.. oh.. and so does your digitech like I mentioned.
don't fall in love with it..

not sure what type of music you play but I'd recommend a Peavey Valveking, 112 or 212.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Jun 10, 2008,
First, the Spider is godawful and you'll regret buying it when your ear for tone matures
Second, you're new to buying amps so I guess you're new to playing, in which case there is no reason at all to get a halfstack
Thirdly, there is never any reason to get a halfstack, a 30W tube combo will be fine in any situation if it is mic'd properly
ohai little sig.
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
What kind of music do you play, are you gigging, and what kind of budget are you working with?

Quote by Demonikk

Thirdly, there is never any reason to get a halfstack

Baa baa baa.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Demonikk
First, the Spider is godawful and you'll regret buying it when your ear for tone matures
Second, you're new to buying amps so I guess you're new to playing, in which case there is no reason at all to get a halfstack
Thirdly, there is never any reason to get a halfstack, a 30W tube combo will be fine in any situation if it is mic'd properly

on top of that a beginner won't need to mic it unless he wants to hurt everyone's ears since he won't be playing too well.
inb4 flaming
... oh wait, awwww
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by timi_hendrix

Baa baa baa.

True, it's fairly hypocritical of me seeing as I own a Peavey 6505+ halfstack but SHUSH!!!
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk

Thirdly, there is never any reason to get a halfstack, a 30W tube combo will be fine in any situation

So will a half-stack

and everyone knows that a combo will never reach the low end tones and bass a half stack can push.
^ Wrong.
Although it isn't too common; I have this one amp that is a 215 and it has that huge low bassy sound that this Soldano half-stack has.. but I never play it.
also there are combos that have more then 212. I've seen combos with 412. just because a little head sits on top doesn't mean it can't sound the same.

of course I'd still take one over a combo since not too many combos do have that sound, but just proving a point
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by babyboo666
So will a half-stack

and everyone knows that a combo will never reach the low end tones and bass a half stack can push.

A 2X12 combo with a 2X12 extension cab can.

I think it's more accurate to say that there's no need to get a halfstack if said amplifier already comes in a more affordable combo format... sadly, there's no such thing as an ENGL Blackmore combo.
Quote by TechnicolorType
^ Wrong.
Although it isn't too common; I have this one amp that is a 215 and it has that huge low bassy sound that this Soldano half-stack has...

Um yeah... probably because it's a 15 in speaker? They have more bass, thus they're used in PAs and Bass amps...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^yup (to TechnicolourType)
I'm just saying that there's no reason to invest in a halfstack for reasons other than specific tone or ease of use e.g. I chose a halfstack because I take public transport to my gigs and a head is easier to transport than a combo
If your heart's set on a halfstack, by all means go for it, but in most situations a combo will do the same job just as well
ohai little sig.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Um yeah... probably because it's a 15 in speaker? They have more bass, thus they're used in PAs and Bass amps...

Still isn't a half-stack though huh?

and yup Demonnik I agree.
that's the only reason I'd buy one.. not really for volume.. many combos are loud enough for gigs. :O
Quote by MorbidVirus
Buy a small 15 or 20 watt spider instead, then save up for a nice tube combo

If he has the money to get a Line 6 half stack, he has the money to get a nice tube combo already. Although an EXACT budget and style of music would help.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
^ yup

but I just through his budget on the line 6 half-stack.. which is like what 600 bux?

So I say Peavey Valveking 112 or 212.. since he wants a spider and has a digitech seems like he might want a good amount of distortion.. otherwise I'd say a Peavey Classic 30
Going on the notion of a $600 budget he could get a B-52 AT-112 also. Those are pretty good bang for your buck right there.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BUG-6260212

Maybe this is worth a look, friend.

You know that saying about monkeys producing Shakespeare? Doesn't apply to amps. You put a bunch of hairy models in one amp, and you won't come up with Clapton.

Spider series are great practice amps in the 15w variety for a bedroom, but beyond that you really don't get a tone that you would want others to hear.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by TechnicolorType
Still isn't a half-stack though huh?

True, but I don't like the way they sound with a guitar amp

But... a nice oversized 2x12 like a Bogner will have as much bass response as a 4x12, it's all in the construction.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
if u want to stick with the spider and want something that is a lil better at higher volumes try playing the spider valve maybe?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
If you love that Digitech than truth be told, you probably WILL love the Spider... for the time being, until your ear matures and you realize that your tone's awful.

It feels cliche'd to say... but you'd be better off with a tube combo.

Tubes are over-rated.

Crate Flexwave series FTW.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Eww Crate Flexwaves are gross.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
You will find a bunch of posts by me saying how much I hated the Spider II amp. I hated it's sound, I hated the cheap light plastic knobs that turn on their own when the amp is cranked, I hated the cheap digital sounding effects, and (lucky for Spider III owners) that ridiculous octave Red Insane channel!

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/706084854.html

$400 lost trying to sell a barely used fairly new paper weight like this. If you really want it and don't want to go test a bunch of amps, including this one, just get it. We all need to learn the hard way sometimes. I know I did. I bought it online without testing one locally.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Eww Crate Flexwaves are gross.

+1

But I'd say just about any Crate amp is gross
Quote by babyboo666
+1

But I'd say just about any Crate amp is gross

What about the Palomino series?
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Like said get a tube combo or an orange tiny terror
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
the spider valve is pretty awesome sounding, BUT sicne the preamp is digital, u will be lost if u play a show with a band, u weont be cutting threw the mix alot