I want to record my acoustic guitar, electric guitar and keyboard onto my computer using Audacity. I was looking at a home recording lesson on UG and it said:

A simpler, sometimes more effective method is an Interface. These can be thought of as computer friendly mixers. They have inputs and level knobs etc, just like a mixer, but most have USB output, which is effective because it bypasses the (sometimes poor quality) soundcard in your computer and as a result you get a much clearer less digital sound with your recording.

So, what is a mixer and what is an interface? And is Audacity a mixer or a recording device?
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
Audacity is a Recording program, a recording device would be a microphone or an interface.
A mixer is where you plug in your instrument and it has all of those sliders to tweak the sound.
Quote by MorbidVirus
Audacity is a Recording program, a recording device would be a microphone or an interface.
A mixer is where you plug in your instrument and it has all of those sliders to tweak the sound.

So if I had an interface, I wouldn't need a microphone? Or could I use them together (like for recording acoustic instruments)?

blackzeppelion
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
you dont need any mixer to record

that article is talking about USB mixers and Firewire mixers which are useless most of the time...
I've had quite a few member come to me asking about that same article and if I needed a mixer to record. Everyone things you need a mixer to record but you erally dont with the types of interfaces available today.
Look at the stickies at the top of this section of the form. Look at the UG videos and text post to better understand recording. Also look at Tweaks guide, linked in my sig.

you would be better off with an actual interface which is hardware that bypasses your sound sound card. they offer preamps for mics and instruments, as well as phono and XLR inputs.

What's your budget?

You may want the MXL 990/991 set. you can use both mics for vocals and acoustic guitar, the 991 SD condenser works well for guitar amp micing.

Depending on your budget, theres plenty of interfaces to look into...

http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
you dont need any mixer to record

that article is talking about USB mixers and Firewire mixers which are useless most of the time...

you would be better off with an actual interface which is hardware that bypasses your sound sound card. they offer preamps for mics and instruments, as well as phono and XLR inputs.

What's your budget and do you need any mics?
what are you going to be recording?

Like I said I want to record my acoustic guitar, electric guitar and keyboard (and put the tracks together), so I think I'll need a mic. My budget is under $200 at the moment... I like the idea of an interface from what I've heard so far.

So if I had a mic, an interface, and a computer with Audacity, I'd be all set to record?

blackzeppelion
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
yep you need a mic and interface.

For $100 you can either get a Toneport UX1 or m-audio fast track USB.
I suggest the Fast Track USB.

for mics, you can probably find the MXL 990/991 for a lower price than $100 if you need to.

check my post again, I put some edits in there.
Quote by moody07747
yep you need a mic and interface.

For $100 you can either get a Toneport UX1 or m-audio fast track USB.
I suggest the Fast Track USB.

for mics, you can probably find the MXL 990/991 for a lower price than $100 if you need to.

check my post again, I put some edits in there.

Thanks for your help, I'll check that website.

Btw, do you know if either of those interfaces would or wouldn't work with a Windows Vista laptop?

blackzeppelion
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
I did have a toneport at the beginning of the year and it kept crashing on my vista laptop...

I dont know how well they work these days though.
I think the m-audio has vista drivers up, check the m-audio site to be sure though.