here's a new Meshuggah-ish riff me and my drummer have been working on the past few days, tell me what you think of it or any changes you think might be cool
Thanks
and C4C of course
Attachments:
New Riff.zip
Could you put it in MIDI?

I dun have GP
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
All right, thanks.

I'll blunt with you, I'm usually not a fan of this type of riffing, but you can actually pull it off, because you actually added some melody to it, overall a good riff, or set of riffs.

8/10.

Mine: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=881758

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
i know what you mean, it takes time to get into for sure but yeah it is one riff kinda going into the verse im working on like a chorus section next but i just want some feedback on what i have so far
Thanks
Yeah, if you do a chorus, I suggest either putting up the same riff in a different key, or just continue in the "chug -stop- chuggity chug -stop-" style riffing.

Quote by eggsandham2
I had to listen to it a few times before i cud get suited to the timing lol. The timing itself is not a bad thing. Just some of the notes your hitting arent interesting. Maybe work on the rhythm more before you look in your brain for more ideas. Its got a load of potential , But the peak is too high. A.K.A Needs more work. Anyway thnx for the crit on my other song. Crits is what keeps me writing hehe. Can u crit this one too? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858415
Click My Library to see what I've written

My Library
when you say the peak is to high what do you mean? although i do agree that some of the notes are not interesting
This reminded me of Rational Gaze. Only MUCH more stripped down.

It was ok, but it didnt have the same feeling of Meshuggah, and part of that, I think, is the drums. Part is also the rhythm. It's pretty easy to follow when you've really listened to Meshuggah.

With work, I could see it being quite awesome. But it needs some more... work.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
well i'm not going for a completely Meshuggah feel haha, i agree the drums aren't perfect but we just started and i have yet to add the second guitar and keyboards which is partly why it sounds so stripped down
That was pretty damn cool. I can't imagine it's easy writing in an odd time signature, but I'd say you've done it right.

If you're interested, mine still has yet to receive a crit. The thread is titled "Prog Metal Song."
haha it's actually all in 4/4! the rhythms are just kind of unusual, but yeah i'll check yours out
Haha it kinda had a bouncey feel but it was rather interesting, I got the rhythm down quick, but yeah it is rather unusual and a bit interesting... I agree on the melody bit slaytanic commented it sounds nice not being completely low pitched... My "Human Harvest" kinda messes with that -just a tiny bit though- I think it houses a sonic illusion -well it did the first time I heard it haha where one part sounded totally wrong because it was diff timing though the same notes-

I'd be interested in seeing the whole product
Hey the band and i finished the song today and we're working on lyrics, im posting the finished version tell me what you think and what you like or think should change
Thanks
C4C
Btw the new version is GP4
Attachments:
Riff Metal.zip
Last edited by JimmyJimi226 at Jun 11, 2008,
haha it's actually all in 4/4! the rhythms are just kind of unusual, but yeah i'll check yours out

thats what i was thinking when listening to it.
its ok, its just none of the riffs are particularly memorable.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
yeah i know what you mean, this is the first song i've ever written in this style so i'm trying to experiement with the rythms more so than i was trying to write an amazing riff lol
Quote by JimmyJimi226
Hey the band and i finished the song today and we're working on lyrics, im posting the finished version tell me what you think and what you like or think should change
Thanks
C4C
Btw the new version is GP4

I like this version a lot better.

Mostl because of the symphonic element.

Quote by eggsandham2
Yeah

Quote by eggsandham2
THis one is great, I´m usually not into stuff like that but that was just amazing. Nice work!
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
oh like halfway through the thread i have a finished version of the song lol idk if you saw that
Wow the finished version is amazing! I love the main riff, especially with the keyboards. The chorus is freakin heavy, man. I love it! I'm not too sure about the part at Bar 70, it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the song. Other than that, the song is awesome. 10/10.
Love it, especially the instrumental section - immense!!! The guitar solo sounds awesome, are you planning on recording this? Would be cool to hear it properly, if you know what I mean. Anyway, the drums are great, perfect mix of technicality and restraint and they mesh really well with the rest of the band - the bass isn't doing anything particularly incredible but it still really underpins the rest of the music, and that's probably the most important thing in a band I'd say. Vocals would probably make this song perfect, or are you planning on just leaving it instrumental?

(ha, just realised you gave ours a crit while I was writing that lol)
haha yeah, and yes we are doing vocals its probably going to be screaming but we don't know yet lol thanks for the crit!
The finished version is ****ing awesome. Like Meshuggah, but more catchy.

The chorus is excellent. I'm just not sure about riff two... the beginning of it doesnt seem to fit. Sounds good, but.... a bit out of place. Great job overall though.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
thanks for the crit, yeah we will most likely change up riff 2 somewhat tomorrow at band practice but thanks for all the compliments and im glad people are liking it
the verses where kinda cool sounding, original.

the chorus i think could some more work, as it sounded (in my opinion) just like a messy noice.

the instrumental section was cool, but the solo could've been longer. feels like it got cut in half there.

nothing I'd normally listen to, but it's ok
You like it
Thx for your crit!

The verse riff was ok, but it got really boring after a while, maybe you should change it around a bit every time you repeat it, I don't know... .The chorus riff was cool, nothing to say about that. I also liked the interlude thingy.
I did have a problem with the keyboards though, they just seemed pretty unnecassary since they just went exactly along with the guitars, they didn't seem to add anything of any value to the song... .
Can you put it in GP4 so I can crit?
Quote by fob12
Him -"Hey, give me a high five!"
Her -"hahaha why? *high fives*"
Him - "Because I just dumped you for the lulz!"
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho

this is pretty cool considering its all in 4/4 yet you still managed to make it sound jerky and disjointed which is sweet although i would urge you to try experiment with some more time signatures in order to make the song more interesting and to give you a chance to be more creative. nice job anyways
in many of my other compositions i do use odd time sigs (predominantly 3/4 5/4 6/4 7/8 6/8 5/8 10/8 11/8 and 21/16) but this song we kept in 4/4 purposely to see how unusual we could make the timing while still playing around the 4/4 drum pattern