I have a cheap starter Ashton guitar and a Fender 212r amp.

The fender amp didn't get outstanding reviews on here but it was one of the best for value when I bought it.

Anyway I am thinking of buying an Ibanez RG (not sure which model yet) which will cost about $995 AUD.

The amp cost $600? I don't remember for sure.

Is it even worth it? My ashton guitar is cheap and boring and I want something to inspire me to get better but can't decide whether to spend so much on it!

Ps. I have been playing for maybe 4-5 years. So a new guitar is well overdue.
Pps. It's for metal/hardcore.
Last edited by Platinumcs at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by Platinumcs

The fender amp didn't get outstanding reviews on here but it was one of the best for value when I bought it.

Anyway I am thinking of buying an Ibanez RG (not sure which model yet) which will cost about $995 AUD.

The amp costed $600? I don't remember for sure.

Is it even worth it? My ashton guitar is cheap and boring and I want something to inspire me to get better but can't decide whether to spend so much on it!

Ps. I have been playing for maybe 4-5 years. So a new guitar is well overdue.

And people say Australians are stupid .

I'd say go for it. It's going to take you a while to get enough for a really good amp, so you might as well get a halfway decent guitar for the time being and at least be happy about 1/2 of your rig.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
And people say Australians are stupid .

I'd say go for it. It's going to take you a while to get enough for a really good amp, so you might as well get a halfway decent guitar for the time being and at least be happy about 1/2 of your rig.

Costed is the verb/past tense form of "cost".
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/costed

Thanks for the advice though.
Maybe go for ebay? Australian prices are pretty high. You can probably get good deals on ebay which would give you enough money for an amp in the near future (and not a SS one either).
Quote by Adam_G
Maybe go for ebay? Australian prices are pretty high. You can probably get good deals on ebay which would give you enough money for an amp in the near future (and not a SS one either).

Might be a good idea
I have the obsessive compulsive dislike of buying 2nd hand gear though

Oh yeah I also use a zoom 505 II multi effects pedal which I will replace with probably a Boss distortion or something.

Its probably the amp and the zoom pedal giving me terrible tone.
(it sounds like I'm playing over a radio)
Last edited by Platinumcs at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by Platinumcs
Might be a good idea

that just means its broken in
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by Platinumcs
Might be a good idea
Oh yeah I also use a zoom 505 II multi effects pedal which I will replace with probably a Boss distortion or something.
Its probably the amp and the zoom pedal giving me terrible tone.
(it sounds like I'm playing over a radio)

I think for the most part it's the amp - I went to a school with them and they sounded pretty average. To give you an idea, I got a used (but perfect condition) Classic 30 for 600. Maybe not the best metal amp of all time, but I it definitely has a nicer tone. Not saying you should get one the same as mine, just that you can get way better deals if you look around.
Quote by Platinumcs

The amp cost $600? I don't remember for sure..

Quote by Platinumcs

well im not to sure, it might But yea, i would say look at an amp because im like that, but if you want a new guitar ( ) it's your choice
Quote by vampires_blade
fender amps suck.

Yeah, this guy definitely knows what he's talking about.
Quote by umbrellacorp
tom morello that bitch

^ Talking about how high to play your guitar.
Quote by The Lesser Paul

Yeah, this guy definitely knows what he's talking about.

I would believe him after hearing the tone I get from mine

I hope its the pedal though because the amp is only brand new and I'd rather not replace something I only just bought.
Quote by vampires_blade
fender amps suck.

I doubt you have played a...

Bassman
Vibrolux
Twin Reverb
Deluxe Reverb
Supersonic
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass