Page 1 of 4
I was on the TB forum and they talk a lot about the SX bass from Rondo. I looked at them on the Rondo site and the basses do look good. I wonder how they are for the price compared to something like a Squier VM Jazz? I'm not looking to get one just curious about the SX's. The TB'ers are pretty biased about them. Thanks.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Here's where once again we UGers and the esteemed folks of TalkBass part. There was a recent thread on this and the reviews were not exactly stellar.
Yeah, check the search bar for tonnes of heated opinions. Basically, you can play a Squier VM out of the box, but you can't an SX. After you plunk $300 into an SX, it's a better bass than the ~$400 you paid for it. SX's have better "potential", but not out of the box playability.

Also, if you ever mention your dislike T-Birds or Big Muffs, things which are LOVED on TB, prepare to hear responses like "Hmm, when I was on tour with ______ (insert semi-famous name here) for a few years, they really liked it - funny you don't" or "they sound pretty good with my original SVT-II and 32 AccuGroove cabs, do you have a rig like that?" So keep in mind the elitism when hearing recommendations. SX Basses are not a finished product.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
They're of starter bass-level quality. The fact that they are cheaper than most starter basses makes them prime candidates for modding, which is a big factor in TB's love of them.
I have no idea how SX basses play. I quite frankly couldn't care. But my personal philosophy with basses are- if the price seems too good to be true, then it probably isn't gonna be a great thing you got there. You can get fantastic basses for low prices, but at $140 tops? Seems a bit of a tall order there.
That's kind of how I look at it. $150 for a new bass? I don't think so. I can see maybe for a beginner bass or a "mod" bass. Between a SX or a Squier I'd have to go with a Squier VM. I still may get a VM to go along with my Geddy.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I still haven't been there. Kind of don't want to either
It's really good for a few things, but most of the people there follow the crowd. If you aspire to Sadowsky/Eden but you currently use a Fender Geddy Lee/Markbass then you'll fit right in. The effects forum is good though. Pity I don't really care for effects.
The bassist in a local metal band gave me one of these basses and it really isn't that bad. like, seriously, its fine. so i don't see why everyone hates it.
Quote by smb
It's really good for a few things, but most of the people there follow the crowd. If you aspire to Sadowsky/Eden but you currently use a Fender Geddy Lee/Markbass then you'll fit right in. The effects forum is good though. Pity I don't really care for effects.

Let's be fair... that happens a bit here too
Quote by Deliriumbassist
What would be the typical UG rig though? Ibanez SR/Ashdown MAG? Fender MexiJazz/Ampeg BA? I don't really know. Maybe someone should collate the data from Raul's survey. They typical UGer would obviously use Swing 66 Rotos, but that's more indicative of the bass playing world than UG in particular.
SX basses. Well if you put the letter U between those two letters what do you get...

Dellirium is right just don't get a bass below 150 not even for modding.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by Deliriumbassist

This man speak true.
but I got my rig without no help from UG.
I think I'm the only dude/dudette here who even owns an Acoustic AB50. (someones gonna go "me too!" now)

on topic, my friend once gave me some excellent advice- don't spend less than $150 on a guitar or bass, you'll waste your money. I don't trust SX too much, and the little man inside me says that if you're gonna spend $400 on an instrument, why not one that's good right out of the box?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by smb
What would be the typical UG rig though? Ibanez SR/Ashdown MAG? Fender MexiJazz/Ampeg BA? I don't really know. Maybe someone should collate the data from Raul's survey. They typical UGer would obviously use Swing 66 Rotos, but that's more indicative of the bass playing world than UG in particular.

What survey? I can't remember.
Quote by watchingmefall

you've just been nominated to make one.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by watchingmefall
Was it not you? I'm sure someone did some kind of survey of the bass forum not long ago. Unless I'm going mad. Again.

Edit: I meant this thread, which was actually by Gal. Sorry for confusing people!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The problem with modding a $150 bass is that you still got that godawful quality bodywood, which has a huge effect on the tone.

From what I understood, and TalkBass seems to suggest, is that the SX basses wood is decent, and is all much better than typical budget wood (i.e. they use the same KIND of wood as they do on Fenders). The frets, hardware, and electronics are throwaway scrap, but the wood is supposed to be worth the price of admission alone.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
From what I understood, and TalkBass seems to suggest, is that the SX basses wood is decent, and is all much better than typical budget wood (i.e. they use the same KIND of wood as they do on Fenders). The frets, hardware, and electronics are throwaway scrap, but the wood is supposed to be worth the price of admission alone.

IIRC that is the reason why they buy them, for the wood.
Quote by thefitz

Still, $150 for a fully cut, fully finished body... I wouldn't trust it.
Here is my review on the SX bass I tried out.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/sx/bg1k_3ts/index.html

For all of you who are saying "Lulz i will just fix it up and make it gewd.", you are WRONG. Here is a list of the stuff you have to do to make an SX good.

-ENTIRE neck replacement. It is that bad.
-Removal of whole body finish.
-Reshape body countours with sand paper.
-Exchange pickups.
-Exchange hardware (especially those god awful tuners and bridge)
-Redo and Replace all electronics.

Thats huge. When I modded my Squier, I never needed to reshape contours, replace electronics, or exchange the neck. Looking at all of it, it would be cheaper and easier to get a block of alder and make the bass from scratch.

EDIT: Oopsies. Sorry for double post.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by kranoscorp

For all of you who are saying "Lulz i will just fix it up and make it gewd.", you are WRONG. Here is a list of the stuff you have to do to make an SX good.

-Exchange pickups.

Thats huge. When I modded my Squier, I never needed to reshape contours, replace electronics, or exchange the neck. Looking at all of it, it would be cheaper and easier to get a block of alder and make the bass from scratch.

Isn't it POSSIBLE your friend got a lemon from them? Every brand has bad ones. Even Fender.
I was thinking of getting one.
Harmony Central seems to like them.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I've heard bad things about their basses but I ordered a 120$ Telecaster and it's more than decent for the price.....Solid Alder, pickups aren't good but I've heard worse and the neck feels pretty nice....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by kranoscorp

-Exchange pickups.

Kranos, could you do me a favour? Post this a few more times. Thanks.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by IndianRockStar
Isn't it POSSIBLE your friend got a lemon from them? Every brand has bad ones. Even Fender.

My friend for some reason absolutely adores SX. He got an SX stratocaster right afterwards, and it had the exact same problems the bass had. I do not understand why he likes him, but then again he does not believe in music theory, and thinks music teachers are a waste of money.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
My friend for some reason absolutely adores SX. He got an SX stratocaster right afterwards, and it had the exact same problems the bass had. I do not understand why he likes him, but then again he does not believe in music theory, and thinks music teachers are a waste of money.

How dare you delete your double post, making my post totally context-less.

But yeah, it's extremely frustrating when people like crappy instruments and crappy brands, even though there are many horrible horrible problems with them, isn't it?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
How dare you delete your double post, making my post totally context-less.

But yeah, it's extremely frustrating when people like crappy instruments and crappy brands, even though there are many horrible horrible problems with them, isn't it?

Doth thou make a thunderbird joke at my expense, good sir?!
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
Doth thou make a thunderbird joke at my expense, good sir?!

If you want a new tagline other than "hates SX.", feel free to put "Fitz's T-Bird Patsy". That is, yes, yes thy dith.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
If you want a new tagline other than "hates SX.", feel free to put "Fitz's T-Bird Patsy". That is, yes, yes thy dith.

Then we must have a duel in the only way bass players can.

Thumb wrestle.

To the death.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
Then we must have a duel in the only way bass players can.

Thumb wrestle.

To the death.

Have you seen the size of my thumb?

But yeah, threadstarter, either way, this is a clear case of "if it's too good to be true, it is." If you expect any sort of quality or consistancy out of a $150-tops instrument, you're going to be horribly disappointed.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
He sold a 5-string Stingray and decided to buy an SX to replace it? I want to cry.

I've voiced my opinions of SX before, but I'm always happy to reiterate: they're not worth the little amount of money or the massive amount of time that it takes to make the thing playable. I actually wrote an article about it if you feel like reading my babbling: http://theplatune.saltedfork.org/article/sxbass.html
I just got an SX bass today, a Fender Mustang bass copy. It plays and sounds pretty good (at least to me). For me, it's well worth the money. I'll still probably put in a different bridge.
All your base are belong to us.
Page 1 of 4