Hi,

I am a beginner (maybe intermediate) guitarist and Ive pretty much mastered all the basic chords and Im trying to get into picking and stuff. My family wants me to play the guitar for them and I want to be able to play something that sounds nice by itself without vocals or instruments. I want to be able to learn it fast so what would be a good picking song to try and learn?

I can play Wish You Were Here, Good Riddance, and Here Comes the Sun so are there any others of similar difficulty? I dont care what genre of music it is, just so that it is easy and sounds good. And preferably is mainly based of chords with not too much fret movement (such as Here Come the Sun).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Aaron
A good one is Let It Be by the Beatles, everyone knows it when you start playing it. Here's how I play it.

*NOTE* The "Intro" part is the piano intro. Also, I'm sorry the tablature is a bit screwy. I hope you can figure it out. Tip, learn the sections one by one, aka, Intro for a week until you can play it fine, then verse, etc, etc. Hope this helps!

Let It Be
Beatles
Intro
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|-------1-----1-------0------0-------0h1-------1------1------1-----1-------1----------------0--------1--1--1--1
|-------0-----0-------0------0-------2----------2------2------2-----0-------0----------------0------2----0--0--0
|-------2-----2-------0------0-------2----------2------3------3-----2-------2------------0-------3-------2--0--2
|----------3------3--------------------------0-----------------------------3-----------------------------------------3
|--------------------------3-------3-----------------3------1----------------------0-1-3----------------------------

Verse 
|--------------------------------------------0---0-0-0-----------------|-0---0-1-0--0-------0----------
|-------------------------------------1--3--1-----------3---1h3-1--1--1-----------|0---3------3------
|--------0-0--0---0--2------0--0---------2---------------2-----2-|2--0-----------|0------------------
|--------------2---------2----0-----------------------------3-----3-|3-----------------------------------
|--------------3----------------------0--2--0--------------------------|-3----------------|---------------
|------------------------------3-----------------------------------------|--------------3------------------

|---------------
|-1--1--1--1--
|-2--0--0--0--
|-3--2--0--2--
|-----------|3--
|---------------

Chorus              
|----------0---------0-3-|5--3-3-3-0-------------0--0-1-0--0----0-------------
|-------------3--1--------0-------------3-1-------1--1-------3-3-----3--1-1-1-1
|----------------|2--------0-------------------2-0-0--0-------0-----------2-0-0-0
|----------------|2-------------------3-------------------------------------|3-2-0-2
|----------------|0---------------------------------|3--3---------------------------3
|--------------------------3--------------------------------------------------------

End
|-----5-|3-|1-|0---------------0-|
|-------------------|3--1----0--1-|
|--------------------------2-----0-|
|-----3-|2-|0-|3--1------------2-|
|-----------------------0--------3-|
|--------------------------3-1-----|

Edit: No matter what I do it comes out pretty bad. If you want me to I could email you the file I have saved so you can open it in notepad or whatever for better display.
Last edited by mix.lunar at Jun 10, 2008,
beatles-blackbird .. youtube it .. it sounds so nice with no singing
greensleeves classic every1 will recognize it
Dust in the Wind is easy.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Dust in the Wind and Blackbird are still a little bit out of my reach... I havent really done finger picking before so Im preferably looking for something that I can use a pick such as the ones I mentioned in the beginning... Blackbird may be a possibility though; its probably the easiest finger picking song to start with...
Give Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven" a shot.
it might look hard at first, but once you get it, it's nothing.
Quote by aaronob
Dust in the Wind and Blackbird are still a little bit out of my reach... I havent really done finger picking before so Im preferably looking for something that I can use a pick such as the ones I mentioned in the beginning... Blackbird may be a possibility though; its probably the easiest finger picking song to start with...

its actually not hard .. if you really need help you can go on youtube and they have blackbird tutorials .. but i can play blackbird but i cant play here comes the sun .. lolz .. maybe i havent tried hard enough .. and i think its a very impressive song .. it sounds like two guitars playing at the same time
Alright. Those are some good ideas. Forgot all about Stairway.... but anyways I went onto YouTube and watched a lesson on how to finger pick so now it really isnt all that hard. Im learning Blackbird and Dust in the Wind with pretty good progress now.

Here Comes the Sun took me a little bit to learn but its pretty easy now that Ive got it. Its all D chord G chord and A chord picking different notes.
i learned dust in the wind finger picking but i only use 2 fingers and thats the pattern that i use for almost all of my finger picking because it just fits and is easy
My suggestions:

White Stripes - I can tell that we are going to be friends
System of a Down - Roulette - similar to black bird with keeping same chord shape but moving it up and down the neck
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Road Tripping

That's all I got at the moment
Ahhhh... those are some good ones. Im currently learning Rivendell now and I will start Simple Man....
Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

As long as you don't use the actual chord formations, I think it is pretty easy to get down.
Babe I'm gonna leave You is a pretty easy fingerpickin tune.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Anybody know a good way to start and learn fingerpicking? If you know a site or something can you PLEASE help me.
Try "Silent Lucidy"-Queensryche... I think that's a pretty cool song... Also try "Hey there Delilah"-Plain White T's it's somewhat finger picking... "Behind Blue Eyes"- The Who can be fingerpicked and Lastly try "More Than Words"- Extreme.
Quote by D'Addario
Anybody know a good way to start and learn fingerpicking? If you know a site or something can you PLEASE help me.

Finger-picking shouldn't be that hard, as long as you know where to put your fingers... and you can pick with them... I think you'll be good. That goes for, at least, basic fingerpicking.
Alright.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ill have to look them up....

Currently I am practicing Blackbird, Dust in the Wind, Is There Anybody Out There, and Rivendell. Im learning them with pretty quick progress, I think. Anyways, I played them so much I now have a blister on the tip of my picking finger. It doesnt really hurt that much or prevent me from playing but it gets in the way and makes it harder to play.