Are there certain keys that sound better for a particular genre? Like which keys would sound good for like classic rock
Key doesn't matter, just whatever feels most comfortable to play.
well u can write a song of any genre in any key....just know when you're soloing u have to stay in the key....
i need a bishop preaching fire to get away with my sins...i despise everything i see so i dont give a fuck if ya HATE ME!
the above is true but the most common keys in rock and blues type genres are E A and G
It's not necessarily keys, but the way you approach them. Any scale can be used in any genre, but the tone itself is based on equipment as well as the way in which you hit the strings.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
any key but it helps if your singer has a certain range to write songs in keys that make it easier for them to sing
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
im not sure he means tone as in a gear sense, there are no rules for any genre about keys, scales, or modes etc. but the way you use those notes defines how the song will sound, for example... Pentatonic Scales sound classic rocky in their most common use, but with proper usage you can make it sound from any genre really
Quote by Wylde14
Pentatonic Scales sound classic rocky in their most common use, but with proper usage you can make it sound from any genre really

Agree, how much gain you use and how aggressive the vocals are plays a major role in determining the genre. You could play a classic rock song note for note and make it sound like metal ... hmm, now I'm tempted to do a metal version of Day Tripper...
Quote by pwrmax
You could play a classic rock song note for note and make it sound like metal

Yep. Fear Factory did it with the song "cars". Alien Ant Farm did it with 'Smooth Criminal' (not classic rock, but you know what I mean ). Type O Negative did it with both 'Cinnamon Girl' and 'Highway Star'. etc etc.

Again, it's not the keys themselves that define the genre, but how you approach them.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
i think alot of blues thoery goes into classic rock not everyone but alot of minor scales being played
natural minor, dorian, minor blues and played over a major progression. and no not Amin over Cmaj more like Cmin over Cmaj. just as an example

but that is not always the case. queen liked to use the major scale alot

what is reallly going to help you play is learning some good phrasing
song stuck in my head today

Keys make a huge difference in how the song sounds, but not the genre.

Example, you can take Minuet in G and transpose it to B major. It doesnt change the song, it changes the sound if that makes sense.