let me start off by saying this is the first guitar ive owned with a trem. now i can get it in tune fine, the problem is it keeps changing the tuning by itself, when i try to tune it to drop D and tighten the locking system on the neck it doesnt stay drop D, it tunes itself higher.....please help lol
you need to adjust the spring tension to compensate for the different tension in the strings
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
how often do you change your tunings?

and yes it does have to due with the counter tensions with the neck, and springs
When you tune drop D you're loosening the tension of the strings which allows the trem springs to pull harder on the strings, thus making them tighter and a higher pitch. If you want to change tunings you need to adjust the trem spring tension via the thumbwheel on the back. Now, the beauty of the ZR trem on your S is that you can tune to drop D from standard WITHOUT having to adjust the thumbwheel, here's what you do.

1. Tighten the fine tuner almost all the way on the low E.
2. Tune the guitar to standard and lock the nut.
3. Use the fine tuners to make any adjustments necessary. If done right you should have a lot of slack in the fine tuner to get the low E down to D, without unlocking the nut and minimal tuning change in the other strings. Check after dropping to D.

For this to work you must leave the ZPS bar in the trem and make sure its setup properly.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Quote by xwarnotwords
basically i stay in D

If you're going to stay in a tuning just tune it to that and adjust the trem as needed before locking down the nut.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic