Poll Options
View poll results: Which Option?
1 20%
0 0%
1 20%
or other (tell me what it is)
3 60%
Voters: 5.
hey all, i know this should probably go in the recording forum, but i posted a simialr thread there about two weeks ago and really didnt get any responses, so i though i would post here where everyone is always willing to help.
basically here are some things im looking at. (please do not suggest anything like line 6 gearbox or similar things. im not looking for modelling on my computer.) im trying to keep it under $200, (including buying mics and stuff.) it can be a little more though.

im looking to get into to simple, yet quality sounding recording for demos and stuff.

1 . M-Audio audio buddy package. contains a dual mic preamp and two condenser mic, one large diaphram, the other small.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-MXL-990991-and-Audio-Buddy-Package?sku=703626
along with this i would purchase some type of USB audio interface. this includes the mic that im wanting to purchase anyway, and i can get a USB interface for less than $50 US. also, even after someday moving on to some better stuff, im sure i would forever use the mics and the preamp.

or

2. Alesis 8 channel powered mixer with USB out.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8USB-Mixer-with-USB-and-DSP?sku=630166
this is a little more expensice than the first choice, plus i would need to buy some mics with it. it might be better if i end up buying lots of mics i could record jams and stuff easier down the road, (although it would still record to a single track.) however the only con is that the mic preamps in this mixer arent as good as the option 1. this has a built in USB interface though.

or

3. Art Tube-Preamp with USB out.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-TubeMP-USB-Single-Channel-Tube-PreAmp-with-USB-Output?sku=180647
i have experience with Art tube preamps, and they sound very nice. i like this one alot, due to the fact that this preamp uses a 12AX7a preamp tube, and contains an onboard USB interface. this is only one channel though. also with this, im sure i would continue to use this preamp down the road for live stuff, and iits a great way to overdrive an old SF basman. trust me haha.

so, which option do you guys think is best? im leaning towards one of them, but im not saying what it is yet. any thing better i should look at? thanks for your help.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
what are you going to be recording?
but if it's guitar then i would say get #2 and a Shure SM57 for the mic.
Quote by mattvl
EMU 0404 USB or M-Audio...I think it was Fast Track Pro USB.

what makes these better than what i listed?

edit/ i just realized that sounds condescending. it isnt supposed to. i am just wondering the pros and cons of these?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I really like the M audio stuff It sounds great I would (am) personaly get that
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I really like the M audio stuff It sounds great I would (am) personaly get that

the thing i listed of the the fast track?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
nvm I misunderstood I thought you meant software and stuff. but out of all that stuff I would get the alesis mixer It's just alot easier to learn to use
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
nvm I misunderstood I thought you meant software and stuff. but out of all that stuff I would get the alesis mixer It's just alot easier to learn to use

i already know how to use it all
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
bump.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
the alesis would probably be your best bet
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
the alesis would probably be your best bet

may i ask why you say that one?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
I say go with some sort of FireWire interface. The Alesis probably sounds decent, but all the channels on it are useless since it mixes them all down to 2 channels when recording, which means if you ever wanted to record more than 2 things at once, you wouldn't be able to mix the seperate tracks afterwards as it'd put them all into 2 tracks. That = suckage.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I say go with some sort of FireWire interface. The Alesis probably sounds decent, but all the channels on it are useless since it mixes them all down to 2 channels when recording, which means if you ever wanted to record more than 2 things at once, you wouldn't be able to mix the seperate tracks afterwards as it'd put them all into 2 tracks. That = suckage.

i understand that, that was one thing that i took into consideration, and thats why im leaning away from the Alesis. if i buy a big mixer i would want it to be firewire.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.