I live next to a speaker factory that makes (or made) popular car audio subs that are rebranded like Kicker and JL Audio. I picked up some $250 12's for only $25 each. My guitar player has four of the same ones. He's wanting me to make a homemade cabinet out of them, with possibly a few 8's and a horn. Before I invest too much time, can anybody give me an intelligent reason as to why this could or could not be done and sound good?
I know I can make a cabinet, I'm not worried about that, I'm worried about the drivers... can car audio subs be used in a bass guitar cabinet without sounding horrible.
What are the impedences and power handling in RMS?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
they're designed for different things, and I certainly believe you're not going to get the right sound out of them and perhaps not even true work.
but, I do not know why I believe this - I've been told not to myself before but, it was like 2 years ago, and at the time the reasoning was way ove my head.
As such, I refrain from collectively discouraging you.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
They'll work, but they won't sound as good as regular guitar or bass speakers. They're designed for two different things. The car sub won't be nearly as "tight" as a regular speaker and would just sound different. It probably wouldn't hurt to try, since they were only $25 each. Make a cab, get some audio from it and post it and tell us how you like it.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Go for it, what's to lose if you want to try it out?

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

Yeah, I can't imagine the speakers sounding good alone. Maybe with another cab, used as straight subwoofers.

I.E. Check frequency response.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Ataxia
what's to lose if you want to try it out?

Time, and the cost of a strong box and screws and stuff. The box I would make would be worthless if it didn't work.
FYI, it's these:

http://www.bostwick.com/spec/subwoofers.asp?gID=%7B1FEDD094%2DB6AC%2D4F0A%2D9F4C%2D5DD8BFBF2E34%7D&P=HDPro+12

HDPro 12

Diameter: 12
Frequency Response: 20-150Hz
Sensitivity: 90.2 dB
Impedance: 4 or 8 ohm
Voice Coil: Single
Power Handling: 80-300 watts
Xmax:
Sealed Enclosure Range:1.2 FT3

Biggest thing is that I'm afraid that all the higher pitched harmonics would be lost. Frequency range is plenty low, but it only goes up to 150 HZ. I'm afraid there would be a huge gap in between that frequency and the bottom end of the horn, which I could cover with 6.5's or 8's, but then I'd need good 3-way crossovers... I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Eminence DeltaLite's go all the way up to 3.7 kHz even for 15's... huge difference.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jun 11, 2008,
3.7kHz is still WAY too low for full range IMO. Even Ampeg's 5k is. What I would suggest is get a few and make a SUB cab. Then, buy a cab with a tweeter in it. Then, you have a stack.
Quote by Cody_Grey102