I am thinking about buying a new cab, and i want the best sound possible. I don't necessarily want to lug around a 4x12, but if theres a difference i will. What would be the differences in sound between a 4x12 and 2x12?
Depends, a 4x12 is loud enough that you won't have to mic it at all, where as a 2x12 is loud as **** but sounds good mic'd. If you are gonna be playing metal or anything tremendously loud then a 4x12 is your friend.
^ Wrong. One won't be louder than the other, the amp decides that. The 4x12 will have a bit of a better bass response, not much else.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I think one thing you should take into consideration would definitely be the speaker mixing/matching possibilities. In a 2x12 you're limited to 2 speakers, but in a 4x12 you can try 4 to find that just right tone. But that's just what I think lol, I'm usually wrong hehe. Also a 4x12 has somewhat better bass response but is less portable.
2x12. and a 2x12 expansion cab if you need it. also more portable then a single 4x12. also easier to bring only what you need.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
you can use the 4x12 for show, to look impressive and stuff. that's what most big bands do today, with the wall o' Marshalls.