I love my HSS Strat, but I've always hated the the sound of the humbucker in it. It just sounds like utter crap. I've FINALLY decided I wanna replace it, but I want a single coil pickup, rather then a new humbucker. My question is, will I need to get a new pick guard, or will I be able to fit the single coil pickup in the humbucker space, while still being able to have it on an angle like most SSS strats? Or, will I have to get a new pick guard? (Which I kind of want anyways...) I won't mind if it looks bad, but will it fit right? Also, what would be a good single coil pickup to put in the bridge of my strat? I play a lot of stuff from metal to funk... but even when I play metal, I don't use the humbucker, anyawys. I'm looking for more of a funk sound, though. Suggestions?
If you dont get a new pickguard you'll have to drill new holes to angle your new pup, you'll have to route two corners of bridge pup hole so you can have the angle you want and you'll have a gap.

IMO clean humbuckers are good for funk. try a P-90 if thats too heavy go to a strat sounding pup and so on and so on.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
ya. the reason it sounds crappy isn't the pup. it's the amp. get a new amp and don't worry about the 'bucker.
Personally i dont find the definition of a single coil bridge to be more appealing on a SS amp. And im not a big fan of humbuckers on strats i have a SSS setup, but im also running through a tube...the standard Single coil(bridge) on a SS winds up being to shrill and piercing imo. Though maybe a rail? never tried em on SS.

EDIT: go with the p-90. i love their sound on SS or tubes. Twangy yet crunchy.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Quote by ortrigger
ya. the reason it sounds crappy isn't the pup. it's the amp. get a new amp and don't worry about the 'bucker.

I also have a Fender De Ville 212 amp, which is a pretty good amp... it's not my amp. The pickup sounds like crap with anything I play.

Either way, I like my amp, lets not turn this into a debate about it. I'll look into P-90s, which I think would be interesting on a strat... How much of a difference in sound do you think there would be between P-90s on a Les Paul to P-90s on a strat? Because I don't think I'll be able to find a strat with P-90s to try out.
P-90's and soapbar pickups do sound amazing. i tried out a PRS SE Singlecut with them on and it sounded great. it'll be interesting to find out what happens when you throw them on a strat. make sure to upload clips if you do it.
so even tho it is not your amp it is still the one you play thru? right?

if that is not changing - then you can always upgrade the HB like I did to a better pup (like the Duncans - yes the stock MIM Strat HB is not the best) and then do the coil tap as mentioned above.

if you out-right do not like the look or sound of an HSS and want SSS then yes go that route with a new pick gaurd - they are like $20 bucks.

imho
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 11, 2008,
TS, try a jazzmaster out whenever you can. that'll be somewhat close to the sound you'll get with a P-90 on a strat.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by plucky duck
TS, try a jazzmaster out whenever you can. that'll be somewhat close to the sound you'll get with a P-90 on a strat.

Alright, I'm pretty sure I could get my hands on a Jazzmaster to try out, thanks.

I'm pretty into this P-90 idea, since I do want my Strat to be Unique, and you don't see strats with P-90s very often. Thanks everyone for the help!