My friend and i had an arguement the otherday about guitar setups, i believe i am right but i would like to hear what experienced people have to say about the matter.
Please varify what im about to say as true or wrong or dependant on a players style.

1.rasing the bridge will make the strings harder to push down since they are higher
2.raising the bridge to have high strings is not the best thing for speed.
3.when ones action is lower, it is 'easier' to play the notes, and to play faster.
4.rasing the bridge makes everything sound cleaner.
5.while the bridge is low everything does not sound clean.
6.most guitars have an 'average' height of the strings, if one is comfortable with this feeling is there any need to change?
7.muscisians should help each other with techniques and advice, but when it comes to ones preference or playing style, the other should but out and realise that not everyone is the same, and people (should) have different styles.

i know its fairly mundane but i would like to know, thanks.
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. What? No.
5. What? No.
6. If you mean that most guitars come with a "preffered" action height, yes.
7. It's good to interact an share ideas (yes), but not to impose your style on someone else.

Actually, for 7, you can. but they'll make a kick ass opening song of an album (John Petrucci comes to mind...)

EDIT:

Come to think of it, I guess for 5, if the strings are too low it will make the strings buzz by vibrating against the frets, so, techinically, yes. But not like a distortion vs. clean way.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
yep. you are pretty much right on everything. except possibly 4 and 5. i don't know that adjusting the bridge height has anything to do with how "clean" your notes sound.
Yeah, clean is all in the amp and whether or not you have overdrive or distortion.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Chris_Parker
Yeah, clean is all in the amp and whether or not you have overdrive or distortion.

that's one definition. clean sounding notes also comes from your fretting and picking technique. Yngwie is a good example of this. he not only plays fast but also cleanly hits every note.
ya i understand what you are saying with number 4 and 5. your notes can become dirty sounding if you action is too low because of fret buzz.. but higher action avoids having fret buzz.
k thanks alot. for #4 and 5 its assuming that the trussrod is adjusted appropriately but thanks this is great. cheers
yeah..in general...The higher the action the better the clean tone...but it
plays slower and takes more effort to fret...

The lower the action..the faster the guitar is..but it sacrifices tone...You
may even have fret buzz that is not audible though amplification..

These are general rules...but they are not laws..

Quote by ortrigger
that's one definition. clean sounding notes also comes from your fretting and picking technique. Yngwie is a good example of this. he not only plays fast but also cleanly hits every note.

Yngwie is not really a good example of this at all in my opinion...
I agree that his playing is very clean.. . Im only saying this
because he uses scalloped frets...so he kind of has a hybrid neck if you
look at it....I think that can get confusing to a beginner...
I would choose Dave Matthews or an Acoustic player that uses
a standard neck...
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jun 10, 2008,
Quote by Washburnd Fretz

Yngwie is not really a good example of this at all in my opinion...
I agree that his playing is very clean.. . Im only saying this
because he uses scalloped frets...so he kind of has a hybrid neck if you
look at it....I think that can get confusing to a beginner...
I would choose Dave Matthews or an Acoustic player that uses
a standard neck...

well, i was just spouting out the first name that came to mind.
whoa..I came across as a total ass...

My bad man...text can do that...
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
1.rasing the bridge will make the strings harder to push down since they are higher

True.

2.raising the bridge to have high strings is not the best thing for speed.

True for a beginning speed player.
3.when ones action is lower, it is 'easier' to play the notes, and to play faster.

True.
4.rasing the bridge makes everything sound cleaner.

It lowers the output of the pickup, so true.
5.while the bridge is low everything does not sound clean.

That depends on what pickups you have. (and what height they are adjusted to)
6.most guitars have an 'average' height of the strings, if one is comfortable with this feeling is there any need to change?

No. Unless you feel you may be more comfortable with a different setup.
7.muscisians should help each other with techniques and advice, but when it comes to ones preference or playing style, the other should but out and realise that not everyone is the same, and people (should) have different styles.

True. But not practised on these forums TBH.