Hey,

Before you even say something, yes, I have read all of Freepower's lessons. Yes, I've read most of the threads on right hand technique here.

I'll try to put this is the simplest way:

I can practice all day long and all sort of stuff all the time needed withouth getting sick of it, as long as I know I'M DOING THE RIGHT THING.

I want to know what exactly is the best way to do things. Yes, I know they can vary from person to person, but there must be some way that is right for most people and from which we can achieve better results.

• What exactly is the best way to hold your pick? I've seen a lot of different types of it, but I'm positive that there must one way that can beat all the others. I've read Tuck's article on picking a couple of times. I know of Benson's style, but am not very fond of the sound. I like Gilberts though, so I went to investigate his technique. Side of index and flat thumb. That would mean changing picking style... again! I'm ok with it, as long as I know it will be fruitfull! If, in fact, there isn't a "best way to hold your pick", then at least show me how someone who has good picking technique and that clearly shows how he does it, because I've been unable to find one so far!

• I anchor. I've read here at UG a thread were Freepower and Zamboni defended not achoring against scheck666, who defended anchoring. What I took from those 32 pages led me to believe that I should stop anchoring, and I'm determined to do so. But I do reckon that some licks must have anchoring in order to stop unwanted noise! So how do I solve this?

• I've read about Translation, Rotation and Oscillation, and still can't figure out how to apply the oscillation movement to picking! I've messed around, I've watched Santana play, I've watched Shawn Lane play... There was a thread were Freepower promised a video, but he never delivered... Can someone please post a video to help me figure this out?

Please
don't ignore my thread. I really want to have a good and solid base so I can go forward with my practice!

If I was in some way being stupid and/or not expressing myself very well, please state it. I will correct it. And cut me some slack, its 3 in the morning. Another night spend searching the internet for something that shows me what I've just asked!
Quote by ouchies
I hold my pick with 3 fingers and I can play faster and cleaner than 95% of the people on this forum who has videos.

Are you sure you are anchoring? Or are you just resting your finger on the pick ups.. yes there is a different. Almost all fast guitar players rest their fingers on the pick ups.

Yeah, but that will limit you with hybrid picking! It's still doable though... So you're advising me to stick with tsomething I'm already comfortable with?

I rest allright, but I mean anchoring my wrist. I anchor my wrist on the bridge.
What exactly is the best way to hold your pick? I've seen a lot of different types of it, but I'm positive that there must one way that can beat all the others. I've read Tuck's article on picking a couple of times. I know of Benson's style, but am not very fond of the sound. I like Gilberts though, so I went to investigate his technique. Side of index and flat thumb. That would mean changing picking style... again! I'm ok with it, as long as I know it will be fruitfull! If, in fact, there isn't a "best way to hold your pick", then at least show me how someone who has good picking technique and that clearly shows how he does it, because I've been unable to find one so far!

The best way for the average person to hold the pick is like Gilbert. If you prefer to tilt your pick the other way, Lane's way is probably best. There is a Gilbert vid where he details exactly how he holds the pick but it'd probably be just as easy to find out by watching him play examples slowly.

I anchor. I've read here at UG a thread were Freepower and Zamboni defended not achoring against scheck666, who defended anchoring. What I took from those 32 pages led me to believe that I should stop anchoring, and I'm determined to do so. But I do reckon that some licks must have anchoring in order to stop unwanted noise! So how do I solve this?

You don't need to anchor to stop unwanted noise, but you do need to mute strings. Anchoring is when your fixed to a single point, but you can still move your right hand and mute.

I've read about Translation, Rotation and Oscillation, and still can't figure out how to apply the oscillation movement to picking! I've messed around, I've watched Santana play, I've watched Shawn Lane play... There was a thread were Freepower promised a video, but he never delivered... Can someone please post a video to help me figure this out?

I delivered, the vids so old now it's probably down though. More importantly, oscil's really not a big deal. I was infatuated with it for a while but you'll naturally incorporate it and besides - you need all 3 motions working together anyhoo.

Are you sure you are anchoring? Or are you just resting your finger on the pick ups.. yes there is a different. Almost all fast guitar players rest their fingers on the pick ups.

No, a finger stuck to a pick up is anchoring. Yes, it is.

And almost all fast guitarists my arse.
^ check out how light the first guys anchor is. Its a tiny degree away from free picking. And Petrucci has terrible technique whenever he goes to warp speed (it's great up to about 14nps, and then... ).

If that's the fastest you've seen, check this **** -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fOLZ6z959U8 (1:29 in. )

and towards the end of this one...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=57q5zdvMw58

...yeah, it's about time to ebay your guitar.
First of all, thanks for all the answers.

The best way for the average person to hold the pick is like Gilbert. If you prefer to tilt your pick the other way, Lane's way is probably best. There is a Gilbert vid where he details exactly how he holds the pick but it'd probably be just as easy to find out by watching him play examples slowly.

Yeah, I've watched that video. He only went the right way 8 years after he started playing :/ Talk about removing bad habits... I've read Lane's technique allows you to reach faster speeds withouth any tension building up. But I've hear him play and the notes sound lifeless :/ or is it just me? Anyway, I will then invest on the Gilbert technique. I just needed some reassurance.

You don't need to anchor to stop unwanted noise, but you do need to mute strings. Anchoring is when your fixed to a single point, but you can still move your right hand and mute.

From what I've analysed, I'm led to believe that the major no-no of the anchoring is that you have to work with your wrist in various angles, thus with the pick in various angles. With free picking, you are able to keep the wrist and pick always at the same angle with the strings, making it easier to build up accurancy since you're always dealing with the same angle of attack. So as long as I'm able to do this I can touch the strings with my palm and fingers in order to mute them?

I delivered, the vids so old now it's probably down though. More importantly, oscil's really not a big deal. I was infatuated with it for a while but you'll naturally incorporate it and besides - you need all 3 motions working together anyhoo.

You did? :/ sorry then, my bad. With the normal picking position (non-Lane, that is) does oscillation look like a V motion of your hand? If so, then I've been using it unconsciously... And my rotation looks like I'm rotating from my elbow :/
Quote by Freepower
^ check out how light the first guys anchor is. Its a tiny degree away from free picking. And Petrucci has terrible technique whenever he goes to warp speed (it's great up to about 14nps, and then... ).

If that's the fastest you've seen, check this **** -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fOLZ6z959U8 (1:29 in. )

and towards the end of this one...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=57q5zdvMw58

...yeah, it's about time to ebay your guitar.

haha yeah man, I know. Thats why I said there is a difference between putting your finger on the pick ups and anchoring.
Yeah, I've watched that video. He only went the right way 8 years after he started playing :/ Talk about removing bad habits...

Damn straight! Shows that its seriously possible to from zero picking technique to PG level technique and erase all those old bad habits.

But I've hear him play and the notes sound lifeless :/ or is it just me?

Well, it's personal taste here really - ProphetofPage (Tom) was of the same opinion and it's fair enough - Lane liked to disguise his pickstrokes, and a lot of his licks in his instructional videos are designed to show that. He's also playing on light strings and nearly 0 action, so the notes are less "ping"-y and solid. Finally, don't mistake that for lack of control - he was a beast at picking hard with plenty of attack and volume when he wanted to.

From what I've analysed, I'm led to believe that the major no-no of the anchoring is that you have to work with your wrist in various angles, thus with the pick in various angles. With free picking, you are able to keep the wrist and pick always at the same angle with the strings, making it easier to build up accurancy since you're always dealing with the same angle of attack. So as long as I'm able to do this I can touch the strings with my palm and fingers in order to mute them?

Well, the actual major no-no is that people who anchor never feel the reaction of the string against their arm when they play, and thus theres a degree of control they'll never achieve. But yes, as long as you can play freely, there's no problem muting.

You did? :/ sorry then, my bad. With the normal picking position (non-Lane, that is) does oscillation look like a V motion of your hand? If so, then I've been using it unconsciously... And my rotation looks like I'm rotating from my elbow :/

That's all cool man, that's all normal and A-ok.
Quote by Skater901
AND, I've been meaning to ask, do you have a seven-string??

Yup, Schecter 007 Elite.
Thanks for the help : D

Quote by Freepower

Yup, Schecter 007 Elite.

Before I went for my guitar I was inclined for a Schecter. I find Schecter to have very nice guitars. They are simple on design, and manage to make them look beautiful.
Quote by Zealot's Fire

Yeah, I've watched that video. He only went the right way 8 years after he started playing :/ Talk about removing bad habits...

I'd say for about.... 20 years or so ... I picked with my little finger kind of
curled/resting on the side of *neck*. I'd end up picking over the frets.

I held the pick flat between my index and thumb so it was effectively slanted "backwards" when playing.

Needless to say, that was a somewhat limiting technique. If I can fix all that, anyone
can change whatever they want. If you think it's worthwhile to do so....
Quote by edg
I'd say for about.... 20 years or so ... I picked with my little finger kind of
curled/resting on the side of *neck*. I'd end up picking over the frets.

I held the pick flat between my index and thumb so it was effectively slanted "backwards" when playing.

Needless to say, that was a somewhat limiting technique. If I can fix all that, anyone
can change whatever they want. If you think it's worthwhile to do so....

God, that's very awkward. How could you even pick like that?

I'm trying to avoid having to remove bad habits later. Of course, I know I will inevitably find limitations in my playing and will be constantly trying to perfect my technique, but the sooner I begin with it, the better.
Quote by Zealot's Fire
God, that's very awkward. How could you even pick like that?

Well, it felt "comfortable", so what could be wrong with it? Do, what's comfortable!
LOL.

Anyway, somehow I managed. When your entire life is spent living in a dark cave,
you'll never even be able to imagine what the glory is like of seeing outside in the
full light of day. That's why I'd like to see even *one* person come forward who has
overcome the need to stabilize thier hand on the guitar and say it's still better to
stabilize and/or the effort to free the hand was not worth it.
Quote by edg
Well, it felt "comfortable", so what could be wrong with it? Do, what's comfortable!
LOL.

Anyway, somehow I managed. When your entire life is spent living in a dark cave,
you'll never even be able to imagine what the glory is like of seeing outside in the
full light of day. That's why I'd like to see even *one* person come forward who has
overcome the need to stabilize thier hand on the guitar and say it's still better to
stabilize and/or the effort to free the hand was not worth it.

I get your point. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be a full suporter of free hand picking.