I've searched and searched but couldent find anything that fit my question : Anyway, im in the market for a new amp becuase i just found a buyer for my Palomino today, and im very interested in the Mesa F-30 or F-50. It has all the features i need, however im not sure on its distortion. I hear good things about the clean channel(which i need), but i also need it to reach metal. Can it reach this? Im looking for Opeth/Dream Theater type distortion. Keep in mind i do have a OD if needed. If it cannot reach this, please point me in the direction of an amp that will
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
F-50 all the way man. I've had mine for a few months now and i'm starting to dial in some great sounds. The distortion can get damn heavy. I never have it past noon without the contour. You'd definately want to use the od to tighten it up it helps the distortion alot for me.
I'd also suggest retubing the power section with jj tubes, it made a world of difference.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Plenty of gain for classic metal by itself, and can reach what you need with a nice OD. I say go for it!

I disagree. I put my gain at around 1 o'clock for classic metal (Maiden, Sabbath, lower- gain Metallica). 3 o'clock gets me into Megadeth/ Anthrax territory; I never really need to much farther for what I play. You could probably creep into grindcore- like gain levels if you really needed to... it's not a 5150, but it's not too far away in the gain department.
I owned an F-30 for like a week, would've kept it longer but my friend offered me more money than I paid for it so I sold it to em, and it had plenty enough gain for modern metal. I could play anything up to the Black Dahlia Murder or As Blood Runs Black without an OD.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
My school has a Mesa F-30, and it kinda sucks for anything but heavy gain.. It's alright, but the clean channel is kinda muddy and it seems forced on a Mesa Amp. It's like the amp doesn't wanna do anything but high gain stuff. I tried playing AC/DC but it was alright.. The Orange Tiny Terror did it much better. Just my $0.02.
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Weird Grimepenguin, because from all the reviews I've read (review harmony) everybody said the F-30 had the best cleans out of all the Mesa's, they compared it to a Fender clean sound. Though your problem might be kids screwing around with the knobs at school, because it takes a lot of tweaking (compared to most amps)to get the sound you want on Mesa boogies.
Only a real risk tests the reality of a belief.
Quote by Orange_AGO
Weird Grimepenguin, because from all the reviews I've read (review harmony) everybody said the F-30 had the best cleans out of all the Mesa's, they compared it to a Fender clean sound. Though your problem might be kids screwing around with the knobs at school, because it takes a lot of tweaking (compared to most amps)to get the sound you want on Mesa boogies.

Yeah, I liked the cleans on my F-30 better than my Mark IV.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm actually thinking of purchasing one of these. I just got my Mark IV and love it, but i'm not going to be halling around a half-stack everywhere i go, such as small clubs. (When i go to college, they force me to be in a jazz band thing, which is not the worst thing in the world, but..) and a Mark IV would be too much for it. I saw an F-30 on Ebay today for 450. I would jump on that, but I'm set for a while. Next thing i get is an ISP Decimator and a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
F-30 can do metal. I flip on the contour and hit my OD and I have classic metal with the gain at 10 o clock and using single coils. It's not the best metal sound considering the pups, but the fact that I can even do it proves with the right guitar this thing is metal ready.

Edit: Also, the cleans are wonderful, gut the mids and it sounds all kinds of fender. I'd say it's close to a dead heat with my old hot rod which I never tried side by side with it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by mlkIII
Next thing i get is an ISP Decimator and a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser.

You need a Decimator with yours? I have one and haven't used it since I sold my 5150. My Mark IV is dead silent.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Alright guys thanks for helping me out. Now i just gotta find one at a decent price
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Well, I found out my problem. I tweaked with it some more, and I got a nice clean out of it. I had to roll off the mids though (I'm a bluesy guy who loves mids). Also, AC/DC/LedZeppelin was better sounding with high treble and med-low mids (again, ) It just feels unnatural cutting off the mids so much. Disregard my last post, but it DOES get muddy a lot if not set right.
---▲===
Pink Floyd