Ahh the amazing squier strat. I have the affinity series.

What is the opinion on the woods/materials in this guitar? Would it be worth upgrading the pickups and buying better tuners and such? Or would it just be wasted money better spent on an entirely new guitar?
If you like the feel of the guitar and you have a good amp, then go for it. What amp are you using btw?
They're a funny thing Squiers... It's a hit or miss thing...

Some Squiers are genuinely great guitars... Some Squiers are ****ing terrible.

If you like the guitar's feel, the sound and any other qualities, go for it!
in my opinion the repairs/ parts your putting into your guitar shouldn't go over half the price of the guitar. and in your case i'm pretty sure the new pickups would exceed that amount.
Only upgrade the pickups. and dont go cheap on them! A ton of people will say get a new guitar. screw them they are just thinking like typical prepubescent UG'ers. The squiers arent all that bad of guitars as they do what they are meant to do for the price they are meant to be. But anyways back to my point. If you drop the money for nice pickups for your squier now, then you will have a fairly nice sounding guitar to mess around with. Not only that but when you buy a new guitar i can gaurantee that you will want to change the pick-ups at some point. And now youll have the chance to swap those new ones out of your squier and place them in the new guitar.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
You should be fine, the Affinities are arguably the best Squiers for modding. A pup-swap would be OK but what amp are you using? Even if you do the swap you won't hear much of a difference if the amp is sub-par.
Quote by T!AN
What amp are you using btw?

Junk right now. That is changing pretty soon though. I'm liking the Bugeras so long as the reliability issues get cleared up a bit, and I'm also looking at the Peavey ValveKing.
Quote by roshjosh
They're a funny thing Squiers... It's a hit or miss thing...

Some Squiers are genuinely great guitars... Some Squiers are ****ing terrible.

If you like the guitar's feel, the sound and any other qualities, go for it!

I think I got a hit...mine just needed new tuners, but everything else feels pretty good...plays good...pickups are kinda weak and I hate Single Coils, but it's an OK guitar...and if you like it, upgrade it, if you think you will get a new guitar soon, don't bother.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
here's mine, i love this little affinity.

if you like urs, and it stays in tune then upgrade ur amp first.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i've been thinkin about gettin a affinity and do some crazy modding to it, but have never played one. how does your neck feel, are the pretty sweet?
yeah, i love the neck on that tele. it's why i bought it.

just try as many of them as possible. the first few i picked up had minor fret flaws.

(also i stained the neck to get the dark spots. originally, it was brighter. the body used to be painted yellow-y color too. just letting you know)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
nice, for 150$ and the neck feels good ya cant complain. that tele looks nice. maybe i should get one of them and mod it instead, ive always wanted a tele
Quote by jj1565
yeah, i love the neck on that tele. it's why i bought it.

just try as many of them as possible. the first few i picked up had minor fret flaws.

(also i stained the neck to get the dark spots. originally, it was brighter. the body used to be painted yellow-y color too. just letting you know)

wow...that is one sweat Tele and I'm not a Tele fan necessarily.

so you stripped her (him) down to wood? damn nice!

and yes, focus your budget TS (thread starter) on amplifier first.

311zoso
Quote by Lamrick21
Only upgrade the pickups. and dont go cheap on them! A ton of people will say get a new guitar. screw them they are just thinking like typical prepubescent UG'ers. The squiers arent all that bad of guitars as they do what they are meant to do for the price they are meant to be. But anyways back to my point. If you drop the money for nice pickups for your squier now, then you will have a fairly nice sounding guitar to mess around with. Not only that but when you buy a new guitar i can gaurantee that you will want to change the pick-ups at some point. And now youll have the chance to swap those new ones out of your squier and place them in the new guitar.

This is the best response ur gonna get....
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Dead thread! YAY!

I'm in the same situation. I have an Indonesian Squier. It's a great guitar for the price. I have a feeling I will end up modding the hell out of it, and not getting a new guitar at all. Right now I am looking at the Fender Hot Noiseless Pickups (the ones that Jeff Beck had made for him). I wish I could get an audio file of them being played =/

The approach I am using can be compared to a modding a car to make it go really fast. You can get a Ferrari, or you can modify a Civic until nothing stock is left except the windshield. You might end up with a car that exceeds a Ferrari. This is a very rough analogy, don't get on my case.
Get a Carvin. Do it.
Quote by Lamrick21

What he/she said.
wat
I bumped it because my post is relevant. That's why.

*goes back to the pit*
Get a Carvin. Do it.
My suggestion?
GFS had prewired pickguards for 40 dollars.
Put one in a pawnshop strat with solid alder body, man they sing.
I only had to solder 2 points, input jack and ground.
With changing JUST the pickups, you can get hot slack on your plactic guard, make holes, warp it, or whatever.

Don't go with big-brand pickups just for the brand, my pawn shop strat now plays better than my bandmate's MIM standard strat.

GFS prewired pickguards are from:
Guitarfetish.com
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!