I have no idea where to start. I would love to post some mp3s of my Mark IV and some of my other stuff, but I don't know how to record my stuff. My computer is way out dated and won't be getting a new one until August So I need you guys to help me. I would like to keep it as cheap as possible, but I also want good quality. I have access to as many mics as I need, and stuff I need, but I didn't know if to buy say a Boss recording thing in Musicians Friend or get computer software. Thanks for any help.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
If you have a mic, all you'd really need would be an interface of some sort, and Audacity.

Audacity is a recording program, and it's free. Just google it.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
You can get a mic and plug it into the mic port of the computer and use Audacity. While not the greatest quality it won't be bad, and its worth a try since you have mics/can DL Audacity/should have a mic input on the computer.
buy a USB/audio interface.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
So, download Audacity, get a mic, and it should record stuff?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Im using M-audio's Pre USB and two mics into a laptop and audacity... But its taken me months to get the mics setup right lol.. I think i might have finally just gotten it right still have to do a few more tests though..
Quote by mlkIII
So, download Audacity, get a mic, and it should record stuff?

Yup...if you have an integrated sound card it won't sound that good, though. I recommend a USB interface if that's the case. You can get a Line 6 Toneport interface, hook a mic up to it, and then mess around with the onboard mic preamps to get a more professional sound.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
If you are serious about recording, spend the money on an MBox and get into Pro Tools. If you're not, then buy a Line 6 toneport and use audacity with the ASIO4All Drivers.... simple really.... oh yes, spend the extra money on a Shure SM57 or a Sennheiser e906.... they're worth it.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
How much would the MBox, Pro Tools, and one of those mics cost me?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
I got into my Pro tools setup for under 1000 dollars... and seeing your gear list... that wouldn't be too much for you...(not a judgment, just an observation)

For just the MBox w pro tools and the mic. you can get it for like $700 after taxes & shipping. But don't forget, if you're serious, look into monitors as well. If you're just doing it for fun with some guitar clips and not for a band or anything, then the toneport with some decent monitors would be fine.
if you want actual decent quality then you can't just run the mic into your sound card lol.. you need other things like pre-amps and crap.
I record through my MBox's preamps and it sounds great. I AM buying a Presonus Blue Tube soon but only to warm up the vocals and give the bass a little more growl.
Audacity seems pretty good. You know, if you want to just mess around and be able to edit and create a CD, you could use a recording device. Hell, my digital camera has a recording device on it.