Should I jump on a used Traynor YCV40 for $399? I don't have the money at the moment but I am confident it will be available when I do. I kinda want to wait out for a Laney AOR 50 combo, but those are few and far between it seems.

Should I wait for the Laney or jump on the Traynor when I get the cash?
Depends on your styles.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Fair enough. I was thinking about not getting it because the time I tried it, it was too American voiced. I have a 67 Super Reverb for that clean stuff so I need something for overdrive. Anything from 60s psychedelic to classic rock to blues to hard rock to some classic metal (rare, but it would be nice to be able to do it). That is why I was thinking about just going for a Laney AOR, but I remembered some clips of the Traynor that made it sound really british and crunchy.

I suppose I could buy it and then resell it for profit if it isn't exactly my thing?
^Well, the OD channel should be able to cover most of your styles, but it is an american voiced amp, and may not be for you if you're looking for british style overdrive. Maybe look at a Peavey Classic 30 used if you can find one?

Oh, and if you can turn that amp over for profit, then i can't argue with that. Plus, you may end up liking it.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
the ycv50 would be a much better amp for you, it runs el34's. so it's a british voiced amp, as opposed to the ycv40's 6l6's
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Well I have seen them go for at least $500 easy, so I assume I could turn a profit. I currently have a Crate V16 which I like better than Peavey Classics. I just want something bigger (30 watts for the headroom) and a little better. JCM800s are out of my price range so I looked for similar amps and the Laney seemed to be a clone with a bit more gain.

Looks like I just answered my question on my own. I'll be on the lookout for one of those Laneys or just save for a more noticable improvement in tone.
Before you decide on the amp, you need to talk to forsaknazrael about the tube swap he did in his Traynor. It might be something you'd be interested in. I'll inform him of the thread.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
No problem. If he doesnt drop in here before long, maybe he won't mind you PMing him.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I don't have anything to add to this thread since I haven't tried either amp, but lmao your quote in your sig is great acdc, I hadn't noticed that before.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well, just found the link.

Let's see here...The AOR would be a good choice, but the YCV40 is definitely capable of British growl, with the right tubes. New t00bs would set ya back about 80 bucks, so there's that to consider, as well. I've got a hot grade of KT77's in the power amp, and then a JAN 5751 in the V1, with a Shugang 12AX7 9th gen or whatever in V2. There's also a Tung Sol in V3, but I believe that V1 and V2 are more influential on the tone.

I'm going to be borrowing a crappy Behringer mixer some time soon, so I may be able to get some decent clips of my Traynor soon. Next paycheck, I'll likely be buying a Sennheiser e609, too, so I'll be all set for recording stuff. If someone would buy the stuff I had up for sale, it would help expediate the process a bit, haha.
^Can you still get up to classic metal with the 5751?

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
^Yeah, my gain doesn't really get past 3 or 4 at the most even with the 5751. That's all the gain i need, especially when i use my ES135s humbuckers. But, I don't play classic metal.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86