i began watching melodic control a while ago and he is telling me to us arpeggios to solo with but what i dont understand is how i make biiig arpeggios (like the ones he was playing, not just short ones) i know an arpeggio is a chord played note by note and a chord is the 1, 3 and 5 note of the scale but where do the rest of the notes you play come from. i want to learn arpeggios that span the whole fret board, not just simple ones so that i can solo with them, and learn to sweep/rake with them. how do i make arpeggios?
Last edited by madshatter at Jun 10, 2008,
i think there was a video lesson on this a few months ago...check it out.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
What do you mean "where the rest of the notes you play come from" ?
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Phishead42
What do you mean "where the rest of the notes you play come from" ?

you don't just play three notes in arpeggio (the 1, 3 and 5 note of the scale which makes up the chord which is the arpeggio your playing) well you could but that would be a small arpeggio. does that make more sense?
what most people do is they play the root-third-fifth combo in multiple octaves, for example, a 5-string ascending sweep is a root-third-fifth triad played once in a lower octave, and again in a higher octave. however, their are more complex thing you can do, such as adding another note to the root-third-fifth, such as a seventh (either major or minor), and make it a more complex arpeggio. frank gambale, for example, often adds a second to his major arpeggios. thats really all it is.
I believe what you are referring to is the 1st, 3rd, 5th and *8th* note of the scale. I don't use sweeping, but my best guess is that you would go up and down the arpeggio very quickly. There isn't much to arpeggios, just changing scales while soloing. I would also guess that when you change scales you would go up the first scale's arpeggio, then after you play the 3rd note you would play the first note of the next scale's arpeggio. Hope that helps.
Combine chord shapes, thats how I do it. For example, I know the following notes are in the A minor Triad.

e-5-8
B-5
G-5
D-7
A-7
E-5-8

e-8-12
B-12
G-9
D-10
A-12
E-12

e-12-17
B-13
G-14
D-14
A-12-15
E-12

So just be able to flow from each of them.. So maybe I'll make a lick like..

e-----------------------------12-17-10
B-----------------10-13-10------------
G--------------9-------------------------
D---------- 10----------------------------
A----7-12-------------------------------
E5-8-------------------------------------

There are way more places to see that arpeggio but thats just the start. Learn those 3 islands. I just remember them because the 1st and 3rd "islands" look like the standard barre chords and the 2nd "island" looks like a standard minor sweep shape.

Also learn what each interval and note is in each shape. It'll help you build longer and more complex arpeggio lines