So I'm changing the strings on my strat right now and I'm trying to decide wether or not to clean the fretboard. It's maple and there is a little bit of noticeable dirt, but I like the look of it. What I want to know though is if, and how much, it actually affects the sound.

In case you just don't care about my little conundrum and you feel like you've wasted a minute of your life, or two for you bass players , here is a cool video of Hendrix to float your boat. The music starts at 40 secs if you don't want to wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVvtIS2YGVI
... -_-

just clean the finger gunk off of the fretboard.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
you will be fine, the best thing to do imo is take an old toothbrush and brush the frets and the fretboard to get that gunk out.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Does that 'gunk' make the guitar sound any worse though. I don't notice it as I'm playing so that's not a problem, I'm just curious about the sound.
Quote by rhcpjhlz
Does that 'gunk' make the guitar sound any worse though. I don't notice it as I'm playing so that's not a problem, I'm just curious about the sound.

No, but if you leave it there, over time it can build up and end up getting under your frets and raising them, just get it off .
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Whoa....whoa....

....Make sure to tape it so we can watch.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Maggot3000
No, but if you leave it there, over time it can build up and end up getting under your frets and raising them, just get it off .

yeah, and personally i would go buy a new toothbrush and use it only for your guitar. leftover toothpaste and scum is not good for your wood but i think that applies more for rosewood boards.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Ya, when I clean my wood I start with the head....stock...O_o

ROFL
Use some soap and a clo..... oh wait...

nvm... going back to the pit now....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Ya, when I clean my wood I start with the head....stock...O_o

Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa