Long story short..... well at least an attempt

My band played at an outdoor festival last weekend, it is usually very well organized, but for some reason it seemed to tail off this year. We were scheduled to start at 5 and the sound guy was a no show at 4:30, so we started to set up using our PA, which is brand new and sounds crystal clear. There is a problem though, we dont have any drum mics......

When he shows at 5 right before we are getting ready to play without drum mics, he decides to hook up what appeared to be a 15 year old PA that he has. We go along with it, thinking that no harm will be done. Well, it was not pretty. There was absolutely no low end on the kick drum or the vocals, so we sounded like we were playing in a tin can. Halfway through our first set, the secondary vocal mic gives out and the snare mic starts squeaking.

It was a disaster until the last five songs. They finally got it all figured out for those songs i guess

so anyway, i want to know what my best bet for drum mics and stands and cables on a budget. Tips for micing them would be greatly appreciated also. Like i said, it is on a serious budget.
well, if you are really on a budget, Samson makes a 7 piece drum mic kit. But Shure is your best bet, at all times. For technique, the best thing to do is: close mic the drums, and do a spaced pair with the overhead mics on the cymbals.

Samson

Technique. Kinda like this. except no condensor as a room mic.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
Last edited by djn419 at Jun 11, 2008,
thanks but that leads me to another two questions

our PA is a 300 watt Kustom PA package, it has six XLR inputs.....
we need two of those for vocals, so that only leaves us with four for the drum mics
so i was wondering two things, will this be loud enough for medium sized festivals like what we just played? and also...... could you buy another mixer and plug it in to the power amp/mixer in the PA package and still have it sound fine?
hm...that could be a problem. while it would be possible to mic a kit with only 4 inputs, it would be rather tricky, as some things wont be mic'd. so they wont be loud enough. you could use an omni-directional pattern mic(with a pad possibly added) for the overheads, but that leaves a possibility of the mic picking up unwanted noise. you could also situate a bi-directional pattern mic for the two rack toms, assuming there are two. and just mic the bass drum, seeing as how snares are loud as hell to begin with.

you could always sell your current mixer and buy a 10 channel mixer or something. would be a lot easier.

Here is a mixer

16 channel for $100 more
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
i think that four mics will work......

thats all that we used when we played at that festival
we put one in between the 2 crashes and the ride on the right side, this also picked up on the floor tom and the one rack tom, since our drummer only uses one rack tom
then we had a kick and a snare of course
then one overhead towards the left side of the set
i think that four mics is doable?
it certainly is doable. but a 10+ channel mixer is def. a better option.

EDIT: also, you could start hosting your own shows, and make teh monies!
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Gear:
i never even thought about hosting shows...... that would be pretty cool
i will look into buying a new mixer.
thanks for the help dude, i really needed it