ok, so i tried using my laptops mic, and recording my amp like that, but obviously it sounded like ****. so i was looking for an instrument mic, and people are telling me to get the SM57. good idea?
ok, so when i get this mic, do i plug it into my mixer, stand it right in front of my amp, plug my mixer into my computer, and ill get a really good recording? ill be using audacity if that makes a difference.

im obviously brand new to recording, so i dont know exactly how to do this...
lol i have audacity too, all i have been using so far is my rock band microphone. I know its probably not very orthodox but its been working great it just needs a pop filter. I guess it all just depends on how you want it to sound. but i would go for that one
Epiphone Les Paul Custom with EMGs
A mixer's only worth it if you have several mics. If there's only 1 mic involved then you can just plug it straight into the computer and still get good sound.
Quote by pwrmax
A mixer's only worth it if you have several mics. If there's only 1 mic involved then you can just plug it straight into the computer and still get good sound.

well... we already have a mixer. so would it sound better with the mixer? and how can i plug it directly into my computer, if i choose to do so?
What type of mixer is it?
Standard analog?

If you have a USB or firewire mixer that will improve your sound but even still, you can use an anaog mixer to run the dynamic SM57 mic to your laptop.

Run the record or tape outs (normally RCA) to your line in or mic input on the laptop.

Run the mic to the channel on the mixer and turn up the preamp and level controls.
leave any EQ on the board flat, this will be adjusted in Audacity later and therefore can be chanced if needed.

As for software, also look into Reaper. It's more advanced and harder to learn but is well worth it in the end.

The SM57 is a nice general purpose mic. It works well on most guitar rigs, can be used to mic drums, and in some cases will work or vocals...

If you have the money, forget about the mixer and just get yourself an audio interface. The thing is most stock sound cards were not made to record and generally sound like crud. An audio interface bypasses the sound card in your computer and gives better results.
Interfaces are cheap these days and are well worth the price IMO.

They also feature things like on board preamps, XLR inputs, phono inputs, and phantom power for condenser mics.
The PreSonus 1394 is a nice firewire interface or the price as is the Mackie Onyx Satellite. The E-MU 0202 and 0404 are great little USB 2.0 connection interfaces and the 0404 has MIDI connections which is always nice to have in any studio.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
well... we already have a mixer. so would it sound better with the mixer? and how can i plug it directly into my computer, if i choose to do so?

In that case use the mixer. I'm guessing the mic has a 1/4 inch jack, you can get an adapter to turn 1/4 inch plugs into 3.5 mm and then plug straight into the microphone or line in plug on the laptop.