Ok, I've noticed when I play, my picking on the lower strings was horrible but, my picking on the higher strings was not only faster, but more accurate as well. I seem to have fixed this. However, I'm not sure if I have just created another problem.

When I play I now use the bridge as a reference point, resting my palm on it, to help my pick touch the strings only as much as needed.

So, is this bad technique?

More information upon request.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

no, as long as you cant palm mute whenever you should be fine..
same here, my picking on the ow e and A string is horrible. i've been trying to fix that, by watching how pros do it. most notably paul gilbert. it looks like his wrist doesnt rest anywear. but whatever works for you works for you.
Some say that anchoring will inherently affect your overall speed and accuracy, though it's supposedly a shortcut to immediate results.

I try not to anchor and let my hand float a bit, but then again, I've seen no real proof it thusly affects playing as most say.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
after reading these forums for a while looks like ppl who knows a lot about guitar recommend to NOT rest the palm on the bridge.
Resting your wrist is a shortcut to be a "good" guitarist, but if you want to be the best guitarist you can be you'll wanna break that habit.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
Well I wouldn't call it resting. Like I said, I use it as a reference point to where the strings are.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

^ whether you call it resting or not, the only real reference point is the last string you picked.

Think of it this way, whenever you move you hand a millimeter, do you miss every single string?

Course not. You don't need to "rest" your hand on the bridge. The more your hand is stuck to a single point, the worse you'll pick. And to be honest the "shortcut" idea is because anchoring limits your sucky large picking motion - hence you're more economical when you anchor because it shrinks the motion, but with even less control. That's why every single really BAD fast player anchors, and most of the spastic arm "WORLD RECORD GITAR UTUBE" guys do too.
I'd disagree Freepower. Please don't own me too much. But I've always 'anchored' my hand on the bridge if I'm chugging away on one or two strings and then lifted my hand if I'm moving over the strings. Would it not be better to rest your hand while you're chugging rather that trying to hold it in midair? It just seems to make more sense to me.
sig goes here
^ hey, guess what? I posted a reason why i was correct, you're repeating yourself.

ED: Sorry skater - not aimed at you. You posted while i was typing.

Anyway, chugging is different - I assume you mean some palm muting? In which case you need your hand touching the guitar, it's what the technique consists of. When you're just playing one or two strings at a moderate speed it's not really going to make much difference either way, but as a whole, your technique will suffer from anchoring.
Last edited by Freepower at Jun 11, 2008,
Lulz. I'm too quick for you Freepower.

Well yeah in chugging you need to palm mute. That was a bit silly of me. However when I'm not palm-muting but only playing on one or two strings I do tend to rest my hand, particularly on the lower strings. Is it such a bad thing? Because it feels more comfortable than awkwardly holding my hand off the guitar, and I would assume that if you are doing something that feels awkward it wouldn't be a good technique...
sig goes here
^ it's not a big deal in that case, as long as you can play freely when you need to cross strings and the like.

Also, it took me about a week to get to the point where i could play comfortably unanchored at any tempo, most of which was figuring out a good right hand position, where i wasn't "lifting" my hand too much, but i was still free.

You can see here i don't really move my hand that much off the bridge or anything, or here at the end what kind of thing i mean.
^ Ah right, cool. I'll have a look into that then. Got any tips for me when I do?

Also, I'll have to watch those YouTube videos later, as the computer I'm on at the moment has a problem with playing sound and playing YouTube videos. It needs a restart, but other people have stuff open so I can't. >.< But I think I've already seen one or two of them before. Galvanise69 nearly worships you and has talked about you to me endlessly. He also showed me one or two vids. AND, I've been meaning to ask, do you have a seven-string??
sig goes here
It dosn't really matter to me . It's not as if my palm will be glued to the bridge,
plus there's meat on my palm which allows sometype of flexabilty.
There's also a fair amount of pivet motion with my thumb.

I think over time everything becomes softer.
You don't strum or pick is hard.
The same if i was palm muting or resting my palm on the bridge

i guess when you all said arnchor ..you really mean arnchor, arnchor.lol

If I don't rest my hand on the bridge, then my arm is resting on the body.
Mainly becuase when I play a guitar that has a floating bridge, slight
pressure will alter the tuning. Plus sometimes my palm will roate the fine tuner knobs.

Learn how to do it both ways. There's a fair amount of palm muting
for rock or metal.

I don't rest my palm as much on the strat's bridge becuase those little
set screws scaps the hell out of my palm

yeah..holding up your arm or hand mid air for a long period of time
can be painful.
I don't think it matters too much, yes it's probably better not to anchor at all, but a lot of good players do it, Marty Friedman doesn't anchor on the bridge but his wrist seems to be anchored to the body of the guitar pretty much all the time, does him no harm. As long as you don't feel restricted by it then do what you feel is comfortable, as you become more experienced you may decide to take another look at your technique on down the line, but I would just do what feels comfortable.
^But if he's learning/practicing/using an incorrect technique, don't you think he'd want to correct that now so that he will learn the correct technique sooner rather than later?

In regards to your question, I was just watching Freepower's YouTube vid on guitar posture, and one of the things I picked up this time which I missed last time was when he was talking about anchoring, and he said that resting your palm on the bridge is fine, as long as you're not digging in. So if your palm is just sitting there and you can move over the strings fine I'm pretty sure it's not a problem. After all, Freepower knows all.
sig goes here
^ I'm really gonna try unachoring and see what it does to my playing. As far as muting goes, you really have to rely on you palm for the lower strings. As for the high ones, use the index finger
I switched to using Gilbert's style of holding the pick. Easier to control at higher speeds, but slight practice required, especially in the case of the lower strings.

As for anchoring, I used to rest my palm on the strings and the pickup, but now I just keep it floating slightly above....there's this certain position where I find minimum tension in my shoulders and wrist, and enough balance.

But I just started playing recently, so my advice should be taken as noobish.
Quote by _A_
But I just started playing recently, so my advice should be taken as noobish.

I like this guy. He admits that he doesn't know it all.
sig goes here
Quote by Freepower
^ whether you call it resting or not, the only real reference point is the last string you picked.

Think of it this way, whenever you move you hand a millimeter, do you miss every single string?

Course not. You don't need to "rest" your hand on the bridge. The more your hand is stuck to a single point, the worse you'll pick. And to be honest the "shortcut" idea is because anchoring limits your sucky large picking motion - hence you're more economical when you anchor because it shrinks the motion, but with even less control. That's why every single really BAD fast player anchors, and most of the spastic arm "WORLD RECORD GITAR UTUBE" guys do too.

hey , is what i do called anchoring?? i like rest the palm on the bridge also but i move the hand as i move from string to string i find i play a lot better that way.

when i tried just picking with my hand floating above the strings it felt really weird and also the pick was more towards me when i "rested the hand on the bridge" you know like the way you would do if you would strum, but if i float my hand above the strings it is just neutral, not more towards one side, i think i play a lot better if i rest my hand on the bridge but, i cant play more towards the neck because if i want to i need to play with a floating hand , if i dont i just can reach the bridge pickup, i play above it, what should i do??? i also found that when i tried to play with a floating hand like my shoulder was getting tired and i felt a burn on it something like that.

I tried to play with the pick neutral-as i said above-. when playing with my wrist on the bridge but i would touch the lower strings with my thumb so i just did it with my pick more towards me, i just dont know what is better what should i do?
Last edited by alexcp94 at Aug 1, 2008,
Quote by alexcp94
hey , is what i do called anchoring?? i like rest the palm on the bridge also but i move the hand as i move from string to string i find i play a lot better that way.

when i tried just picking with my hand floating above the strings it felt really weird and also the pick was more towards me when i "rested the hand on the bridge" you know like the way you would do if you would strum, but if i float my hand above the strings it is just neutral, not more towards one side, i think i play a lot better if i rest my hand on the bridge but, i cant play more towards the neck because if i want to i need to play with a floating hand , if i dont i just can reach the bridge pickup, i play above it, what should i do??? i also found that when i tried to play with a floating hand like my shoulder was getting tired and i felt a burn on it something like that.

I tried to play with the pick neutral-as i said above-. when playing with my wrist on the bridge but i would touch the lower strings with my thumb so i just did it with my pick more towards me, i just dont know what is better what should i do?

ps. when i say the pick is facing towards me, the wrist is rotated to the right, and when i say neutral,mmm lets put it like the top of my forearm is completley visible and when the pick is facing towards me you can see like the side of it.
i think the main point to take away from the whole anchoring thing is that if your movement is restricted (i.e. if there is a pivot point from which you are picking) then it is called anchoring. if your hand is touching the lower strings in order to mute them but still moving freely i wouldn't call that anchoring because 1) you still have full movement and still must have good technique in order to be accurate and 2) this is the only way to mute the lower strings with the right hand
floating hand for the win, it took 2 months for me to get rid of anchoring, and Im so happy I did ...
The whole "resting on the bridge" thing comes up like every other week. If you
think it's helping you, then go ahead and continue. At some point, you might
realize different.

IMO, it's a totally unecessary, limiting habit. You simply don't need to rest your hand
anywhere on the guitar to pick accurately. It just usually requires more work to get
used to it.

Suppose you hand resters wanted to pick up near the neck pickup to get that deeper
tone -- just as fast and comfortably as near the bridge. Or, just have the freedom
to move the pick around anywhere you want to get different tones. Does
resting on the bridge allow you to do that very well?
Guthrie Govan anchors, and he's pretty much one of the top Guitarists, same with MAB, even though I don't really like MAB.

Also, don't forget John Petrucci.