What is the difference between jumbo frets and regular frets? besides i guess a size diffrence? I've heard they are better to shred with my pretty... but if that's tue how does it make that much a difference?
Jumbo frets aid in doing wide vibrato. I know people think that it also aids in speed because the frets lift the finger tips higher off of the fretboard and reduce drag but if your fingertips are dragging on the fretboard then you are playing to hard. Jumbo frets also help if your fretboared is scalloped as it keeps you from pressing to hard and playing sharp.
the fret size is the size of the actual fret wires. i'm pretty sure medium frets have lower action to the finger board but you might wanna double check that?
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
Quote by shredder.cheese
Jumbo frets aid in doing wide vibrato. I know people think that it also aids in speed because the frets lift the finger tips higher off of the fretboard and reduce drag but if your fingertips are dragging on the fretboard then you are playing to hard. Jumbo frets also help if your fretboared is scalloped as it keeps you from pressing to hard and playing sharp.

sorry but what does it mean if your fret board is scalloped?
A scalloped fingerboard is where some of the wood is removed between each fret making it concave. Yngwie Malmsteen, John McLaughlin and I think maybe Ritchie Blackmoore all have or had used scalloped necks in the past.
Quote by shampooboy37
sorry but what does it mean if your fret board is scalloped?

they carve or file a dip between frets. so your fingerboard will look like:

UUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuvvv

instead of:

--------------------------------------

google it if you wish. or go to warmoth.com , i learned alot about body woods and fingerboards there
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by Martindecorum
http://www.guitarnoise.com/faq.php?id=108

there ya go this exact question came up last night

I think that article is misleading. The reason people have problems keeping in tune playing either with jumbo frets or scalloped fingerboards is because they do not know how to play correctly and use their fretting hand like a vise grip on the guitar. It really has nothing to do with virtuosity but with playing correctly. Fingers should glide across the strings not rip them off the guitar....
jumbo frets are an alternative to scalloped frets.... getting a guitar neck with a scalloped fret board is expensive and a time consuming process ...to get around it guitar companies came up with jumbo frets.... and it allows the player to play fast....
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
Quote by shredder.cheese

Those are generally true, but it's really a personal preference thing. I feel I can play my best on medium frets.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I think the original aim of having jumbo frets was to simulate the feel of a scalloped fretboard, to a degree, for a fraction of the price.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay