Page 1 of 2
Ok this has been brought up a lot, but just because I'm bored (and a bit curious,) I was wondering how the pit felt about the transition from CD's to digital

I happen to think that the Record store will never disappear but one of Australia's biggest music store "Sanity" has in the last year started putting out dock stations which is pretty much iTunes at a store,you burn the playlist you made from the catalog onto a CD.

One of the reasons I like buying CD's is that it just feels satisfying, I like owning a physical copy and when you buy a CD it feels like you're buying a package of art one of your favourite bands has made. I don't know if its having the artwork or just having it there on my CD shelf, but I for one like CDs

I have nothing against digital music, I own an iPod and burn CDs to my laptop then sync it to my iPod, the quality is not bad, just not of the same quality (but when you're listening to music at the bus stop it doesn't really matter IMO)

However I feel record companies are just trying to save money, if we aren't getting a physical copy the music should at least be a lot cheaper (digital music in AUS is only $3 cheaper)

So anyway, I'm done rambling...whats your opinion???
Purchasing music digitally sucks. You don't get the album artwork or the lyrics/thank yous/additional notes made by the bands/artists. Handling music digitally is convenient because it can be transported in massive quantities with such ease, but I always prefer having the physical object. I still carry around 20 or 25 CDs in my car all of the time.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I'm with you TS, I think there is something unreplaceable about having a physical copy of music, its a much better feeling walking home with a new CD than just downloaded straight away.
Quote by mustaineNslash
i know this sounds stupid but...
wheres the sig button??

(sry)

Quote by darkstar2466
Purchasing music digitally sucks. You don't get the album artwork or the lyrics/thank yous/additional notes made by the bands/artists. Handling music digitally is convenient because it can be transported in massive quantities with such ease, but I always prefer having the physical object. I still carry around 20 or 25 CDs in my car all of the time.

yep.

+ then i have a backup copy if something happens to my MP3. and i can share music with friends without making Lars Ulrich cry
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
^ I visited my friend at UOP a few weeks ago... happened to be the day before Cinco de Mayo. I was intimidated by the prominent display of Mexican flags on car hoods.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I know what you mean but the title was misleading. You are aware that CD's are digital? They store the songs on them in binary code = digital
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by darkstar2466
^ I visited my friend at UOP a few weeks ago... happened to be the day before Cinco de Mayo. I was intimidated by the prominent display of Mexican flags on car hoods.

hahahahah every year i see someone's flag fly up off of the car hood and onto the windshield its rediculous
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
sorry about the misleading title
also...more rambling
I guess digital music is easier to store (in a physical sense)
but sharing CDs is fun!...well funner than passing around a USB (which is kinda what I sometimes do...I'm such a hypocrite)
Quote by Jk3y
sorry about the misleading title
also...more rambling
I guess digital music is easier to store (in a physical sense)
but sharing CDs is fun!...well funner than passing around a USB (which is kinda what I sometimes do...I'm such a hypocrite)

I love sharing CDs because it is first-hand exposure to artists' choice of art/lyrics that you can readily get from the booklets without having to search for it on the internet. Too bad no one I know buys CDs as frequently as I do. Even if they do, they take them out of the cases and store them in CD cases.

Quote by plucky duck
hahahahah every year i see someone's flag fly up off of the car hood and onto the windshield its rediculous

It was funny because I asked my friend "Tony, how gangsta is Stockton?" and before he could answer me, three cars with flags on the hoods rolled by. I lold.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by druz15_UG
I know what you mean but the title was misleading. You are aware that CD's are digital? They store the songs on them in binary code = digital

most CD's are analog. the studio records a track, cuts a master disk made out of some enamel, they coat this enamle master with tin then nickle and they press disks of aluminum foil with the master then fix the foil to a plastic disk and varnish it.

if the CD is burned its digital.

(pardon spelling and grammar its 2:00 am here insomnia sucks!)
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
All CDs are digital. For every bit of information (excuse the pun), a pit is etched into the CD. When your player reads the CD, the sequence of pits/flats define what is to be heard or seen.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by plucky duck
most CD's are analog. the studio records a track, cuts a master disk made out of some enamel, they coat this enamle master with tin then nickle and they press disks of aluminum foil with the master then fix the foil to a plastic disk and varnish it.

Errr...no...

The data on a CD is digital. End of story.

Why do you think you can listen to a CD with some scratches on it without it skipping?
The word "burn" refers to literally "burning" a pit into the CD.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by SmellyHarold
Burned or pressed, the music stored on an audio CD is still digital...

Yes. Didn't you read my first explanation?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
ok just read the wiki page for CD's the information on CD's is digital but the disks are pressed (when mass produced)

i saw a line of audio disks being made on "How Its Made" and they used the process I listed above. i figgured audio disks worked like LP's just with a laser instead of a needle.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
I prefer to purchase music as a physical object. I still buy CDs, but that's not to say I've bought all the music I own. If I like a band enough, I'll buy the CD eventually. It's just not always that easy to get hold of.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
^ Love the avatar.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by plucky duck

*cringes at fool*
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by darkstar2466
^ Love the avatar.

Damn straight you do
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by druz15_UG
*cringes at fool*

yeah i was wrong. savor it.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
Quote by plucky duck
ok just read the wiki page for CD's the information on CD's is digital but the disks are pressed (when mass produced)

i saw a line of audio disks being made on "How Its Made" and they used the process I listed above. i figgured audio disks worked like LP's just with a laser instead of a needle.

I saw that episode too! And yeah that's vinyls not CD's

I like having a physical copy of the CD, not just for artwork but also because buying digital data just seems a bit pointless.
Quote by plucky duck
yeah i was wrong. savor it.

don't worry i thought the same when i was like 14 but i saw the light. You are right that they are similar to vinyls in the respect of how they are made but on a cd the laser reflects differently depending if it has a 'pit' burnt into it or not and this changes the value read by the laser between 0 and 1 (binary) this information is then converted into audio and played through your cd players speakers, amazing when you think about it
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

I disagree with two things the threadstarter said.

Firstly, I don't believe that record stores will survive. So what if record stores have dock stations that allow you to burn playlists onto a CD? Why would you go to a store to do this when you could easily do the same thing from your computer?

Secondly, even though you enjoy owning a physical copy of the music, younger generations who grow up with downloading won't feel that way. CDs are completely unnecessary. It's doesn't make sense that they would last.
Quote by agreth_3rd

Firstly, I don't believe that record stores will survive. So what if record stores have dock stations that allow you to burn playlists onto a CD? Why would you go to a store to do this when you could easily do the same thing from your computer?

Not everybody in the world has a computer or the know how to rip and burn stuff etc. High street chains also sell far more than music, I bet DVD sales, computer games etc count for huge amount of their sales...

Quote by agreth_3rd
Secondly, even though you enjoy owning a physical copy of the music, younger generations who grow up with downloading won't feel that way. CDs are completely unnecessary. It's doesn't make sense that they would last.

You'll be telling me that vinyl is obsolete and nobody uses that anymore either!!
Younger generations do not know what they're missing out on, and I bet many of those will see the light after they've lost their entire "music" collection because their hard-drive crashed... It would take some serious effort, a pit and a lot of petrol to destroy my music collection.

SH
Quote by SmellyHarold
Not everybody in the world has a computer or the know how to rip and burn stuff etc. High street chains also sell far more than music, I bet DVD sales, computer games etc count for huge amount of their sales...

If a record store stops selling music and just sells DVDs and computer games, it's no longer a record store.

Quote by SmellyHarold

You'll be telling me that vinyl is obsolete and nobody uses that anymore either!!
Younger generations do not know what they're missing out on, and I bet many of those will see the light after they've lost their entire "music" collection because their hard-drive crashed... It would take some serious effort, a pit and a lot of petrol to destroy my music collection.

SH

Vinyl is a niche market and it only exists because vinyl has a certain quality to it that can't be reproduced by digital technology. Fashion probably has a lot to do with it as well.

I'm also going to predict that people won't even need to own music in 10 years. Pretty much all digital gadgets you buy these days are connected to the internet. Soon enough, digital streaming will increase in quality to the point that the human ear cannot tell the difference. When this happens, subscription services will probably take over.
Last edited by agreth_3rd at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by agreth_3rd

the docking station thing and the record store surviving were two seperate points, sorry if that was unclear

(1) Record stores will survive because there are people like me, also I'm sure they'll find new ways to get customers, although I don't think CD's will ever go away - maybe a new technology that holds more data (thus better quality) but CD's will be here to stay, at least for the next decade.

Another reason is that when people go shopping they can buy music, can you imagine a shopping centre that didn't sell music? Docking stations won't last, they were probably an experiment to see if people would buy a burnt CD (which worked for 2 weeks tops, but the novelty wore off)

So CD's will survive, but they definitely won't sell like they once did (future where everyone D/L stuff)

(2) Maybe you're right but I'm sure that it won't be the entire generation, also I'm sure the pros of having a physical copy will still be relevant.

I can see if CDs ever do stop being sold, another physical thing will take over
Quote by SmellyHarold

SH

Or.. you know... just a house fire
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by Jk3y
Another reason is that when people go shopping they can buy music, can you imagine a shopping centre that didn't sell music?

Again, going shopping for music is completely unnecessary when you can buy everything from your computer. Once people get used to buying music online, going out to buy music is going to seem like a hassle. Most people hate shopping, and those who say they do really only like the buying part haha.

I can certainly imagine a shopping centre that doesn't sell music because they already exist in my area. Obviously a lot of CD store chains have already been shut down.

Quote by Jk3y
I can see if CDs ever do stop being sold, another physical thing will take over

Fair enough, we'll agree to disagree. Obviously the record labels would love to believe you! But statistics show that physical CD sales are declining rapidly.
Last edited by agreth_3rd at Jun 11, 2008,
you know what would be cool, CDs with enough room for like 2 hours of music so you could have huge epic albums and stuff
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by SmellyHarold
Aaha, but my house insurance would cover my CD's and vinyl, it doesn't cover my hard drive crashing!!

SH

It's pretty easy to back up all your music on an external hard drive.

Anyway, as I was saying earlier, there won't be any need to own music once the quality of digital streaming improves.
I like the CD package, the book, the lyrics... I don't think the transition will be good. I like a physical piece of music that I can hold. So, to me, not a good idea.
Quote by SmellyHarold
Aaha, but my house insurance would cover my CD's and vinyl, it doesn't cover my hard drive crashing!!

SH

of course well we have to stick to CD's now don't we
oh how id like that
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by agreth_3rd
It's pretty easy to back up all your music on an external hard drive.
Anyway, as I was saying earlier, there won't be any need to own music once the quality of digital streaming improves.

Digital streams are available at 128kbps already. With a 3G/HSDPA/Wifi connection you already have the bandwidth to use these streams. it's simply a case of when a portable device becomes available on the market.

Quote by druz15_UG
you know what would be cool, CDs with enough room for like 2 hours of music so you could have huge epic albums and stuff

Yeah, or a device the size of an average keyring that can hold the same amount of music and lets you change it whenever you want.

Oh wait...
Yea I wouldn't want to pay for something I can't really see/hold but CD players are so clunky compared to mp3 players and ripping CDs is just annoying...
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
Quote by saphrax
Digital streams are available at 128kbps already. With a 3G/HSDPA/Wifi connection you already have the bandwidth to use these streams. it's simply a case of when a portable device becomes available on the market

True, although most CDs are 256kbs. Then again, the average person can't tell the difference after 192kbs.

Quote by saphrax
Yeah, or a device the size of an average keyring that can hold the same amount of music and lets you change it whenever you want.

Oh wait...

hahaha, also true.

Some interesting websites/articles:
www.tune-out.com

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/ecommerce/60050.html?welcome=1213186228

http://www.smh.com.au/news/perspectives/digital-copyright-its-all-wrong/2008/06/09/1212863545123.html

Also, a couple of interesting reads:
The Future of Music - David Kusek and Gerd Leonhard

The Future of the Music Business: How To Succeed With the New Digital Technologies - Steve Gordon
records ftw

personnally though i think it sucks
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
Quote by agreth_3rd
True, although most CDs are 256kbs. Then again, the average person can't tell the difference after 192kbs.

The CDs have no bit rate, when you rip them, you rip them at different qualities and bit rates.
For example, flac is a lossless format, which is just like the quality on the cd. It's bit rate is around 800 kb/s.
Quote by that_1_dude24

The CDs have no bit rate, when you rip them, you rip them at different qualities and bit rates.

Yes they do, a CD comes at 1411.2 kbps (44,100 samples per second × 16 bits per sample × 2 channels = 1,411,200 bps = 1,411.2 kbit/s). You can rip at whatever bit rate you like.
Page 1 of 2