Hey I know this is an extremely noob quesiton, but I don't see it being posted anywhere else so here it goes

Can electric guitars play bass?
There are modelers out there that can do that, I think line6 has one
No. They don't have any fingers.

I think you're looking for an octave/pitch shifter pedal.
Quote by Skwisgaar Skwigelf
Fish don't gots no good metal to listens to.
A bass guitar is an octave below so you can play the same notes but they won't be as low. There are modellers that can make your signal go lower but even then it won't be as good as an electric bass.
^ correct. Bass guitars typically have a longer scale too, so these modellers on a guitar will sound muddy because of the short scale. People even complain that short scale basses sound muddy.
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Technically yes with an octave pedal, but as other guys have said with the scale length of a bass taken into account it won't sound the same.
there's an effect that turns your guitar into a bass. they're commonly found on multieffects units.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I saw a jazz band once. They didn't have a bass player, but the guitar player had tuned his guitar low enough to match a bass. Ofcourse the guitar was set up for the tuning and so on.
It was fun to watch..
Thanx everyone for the input
But hmmmm I'm not sure if i asked the right question :S

You know how on an acoustic guitar in many songs, you continuously strum chords?
Is that called bass? (i'm starting to feel really stupid right now)

If not, can the electric guitar play that?
Quote by tollestrup
I saw a jazz band once. They didn't have a bass player, but the guitar player had tuned his guitar low enough to match a bass. Ofcourse the guitar was set up for the tuning and so on.
It was fun to watch..

I doubt this. Even the lowliest of jazz ensembles (trios) ALWAYS have a bassist.
Quote by vietpanda
Thanx everyone for the input
But hmmmm I'm not sure if i asked the right question :S

You know how on an acoustic guitar in many songs, you continuously strum chords?
Is that called bass? (i'm starting to feel really stupid right now)

If not, can the electric guitar play that?

You're thinking of rhythm, or background. I think you were thinking bass because bass is a backgroud instrument a lot of times.

Sure, electric guitar can play background. Most classic rock bands, modern rock bands, hard rock bands, and metal bands generally voice with the guitar, or use a lot of riffs and fills, but mainstream-punk bands and pop-punk bands use the electric guitar SOLELY as a background instrument.

Also, you'llfind many instances in both older and more modern rock music where the electric is used for background playing. It all depends on the band and song.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
I doubt you can play certain bass techniques like slapping and popping.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
technically yes but it'll be an octave too high...get an octave pedal or simply a bass and a bass amp
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.