Hey,
Im wanting to do some basic recordings, but have literally no idea on home recording. What i really want to do is just have a way to hook up 2 guitars, bass and vocals to my pc, and i think what i need is an interface. What ive been looking at is this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Omega-Desktop-Recording-Studio?sku=245505

This leaves with me a couple of questions:
Is this what i actually need?
Can i record through the line in?
Is this particular interface any good?

Thankyou for any help that you can give, i know ultimate guitar always has an answer.
The best thing to get could be an interface.
The line in will work but will give poor results.

Do you have to record all the instruments in one take or can you record one by one?
If you can record one instrument at a time I would look into the E-MU 0404 USB 2.0 interface, or if you have a firewire port, the Mackie Onyx Satellite.

I also suggest keeping some budget aside for a mic or two. The SM57s are popular for amp micing but for vocals the condensers are best IMO.
For decent budget condenser check out the MXL V63M. For about $70 it sounds really good.

Also check out interfaces by M-Audio and PreSonus.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by peter_doughton
Hey,
Im wanting to do some basic recordings, but have literally no idea on home recording. What i really want to do is just have a way to hook up 2 guitars, bass and vocals to my pc, and i think what i need is an interface. What ive been looking at is this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Omega-Desktop-Recording-Studio?sku=245505

This leaves with me a couple of questions:
Is this what i actually need?
Can i record through the line in?
Is this particular interface any good?

Thankyou for any help that you can give, i know ultimate guitar always has an answer.

That interface will work, but there are better options. This has Cubase, and can separate your tracks, and is $40 cheaper. You won't be using more than two tracks at a time. Whether you are recording your amplifier or using the DI to run software amps, the interface I showed (the Mackie Onyx Satellite's a good option too) will do the trick. If you are miking the amp, you may need to buy two microphones, one for voice (usually condenser) and one for the amp (SM57, e609).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101