I'm new to home recoding, so i'm starting from scratch. I'm basically looking to record just my voice, my acostic guitar, then maybe a secondary guitar later.

After reading a few threads and trying to pick up a few tips, this is what i've though about buying:-

M-Audio Mobile Pre USB Interface
Shure SM-57 Mic

My acoustic had a soundhole pickup, so my plan is to run my acoustic through my pedal and amp into the Interface, and use the mic to record my voice.

I think it's viable, but would just like an opinion or agreement to make sure.
Sorry, **** advice.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Last edited by zapparage at Jun 11, 2008,
Get yourself a condenser mic and audio interface.
It would be nice to record your guitar and vocal at the same time however with digital technology, you don't need to....if you don't want to.

The way I would do it is mic the guitar with some good condenser mics and record the guitar part. After that, play back that guitar part though your monitor and add the vocals on top of it.
Tweak compression and EQ and add any FX to each track until you get something you like.

Software:
Reaper is one I started learned a while back and it goes for a reasonable price.
Cakewalk Sonar also is a great program and theres low priced software packs out for it.
Both of these have a fairly steep learning curve but will give you a lot of freedom in the post production stages.
For recording vocals and acoustic you'd be better off investing in a good condenser mic. An SM57 will work in those situations, but won't excel in either.

Start by looking for a decent 2 input recording interface that has preamps and phantom power. Something like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Should be able to pick up something in this area for around $200.

Shop around for a decent condenser mic. I have an MXL V63M which is good for the money. Also look at the MXL 990/991 mic package. should cost around $100 for something usable.

If the interface you buy doesn't come with software (which it SHOULD). A cheap alternative to Sonar is Cakewalk Music Creator 4. It's a $40 download from their website and a budget version of Sonar (the same basic interface though). Contrary to popular belief I found both Music Creator and Sonar very easy to learn and use.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
The Fast Track Pro that I mentioned is USB. I have on and i use with my laptop. It works very well.

You can also buy Interfaces that are FireWire or USB 2 that are faster. They make an PCMCIA card for laptops that give you FireWire or usb 2 functionality so you're really not limited there...
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic