i own an early 90s squire telecaster i bought second hand on ebay a few months ago. i recently got bored of the crummy white scratchplate so i bought a 3 ply black one (thats supposed to fit real fenders), only to find it doesnt fit! it fits around the neck like a glove but it overlaps the bridge plate and control plate. is it possible that the person sold me a tele copy with a squire neck? or do squires just have a slightly different shape? either way i'm planning on filing the scratchplate down to fit it on, it looks sexy.
Squires have slightly different dimensions mate.

I had the same problem with my strats replacement, just shave the overlapping bits til it fits.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
ah thanks man, i'm thinking of filling in the existing screw holes with wood filler and screwing in new holes so the screws go in clean, would that be a good idea?
Quote by jaycav
ah thanks man, i'm thinking of filling in the existing screw holes with wood filler and screwing in new holes so the screws go in clean, would that be a good idea?

Yeah, the problem with mine was that if i got it to sit properly, the holes didnt line up, or if the holes lined up the bridge didnt.

Do whichever you feel is better
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
I did something similar with my Squier. I had to sand down the edges for the neck and the bridge of the pickguard so it would fit. Then after all of that I found out very few holes lined up, so I ended up filling them in and drilling new holes.