I have a familiar tremolo problem. If i bend one string, and simultanously hit another unbent string, the unbent string will be out of tune due to the tremolo moving.

So, my questions are:

1) How should the spring screws (the ones attatched to the body) be calibrated. I`ve heard that the one at the light/thin string side should be a bit further into the body so that this spring will be more stretched. (I`ve got 2 screws, fairly equall now)

2) Will it help attatching more springs that are less tight (i.e 5 loose springs vs 3 thight ones) (i have 3 right now) ?

3) How shold the springs be angeled? Parallel or as a pyramid with the basis at the tremolo, apex close to screws.

Please give advise, or write your settings concering 1, 2 and 3 and how that works out for you. Use this setup:

Fender Strat Deluxe (brand)
009-046 gauge, (gauge)
2 screws same length (screws)
3 springs, parallell springs (springs)
Saddle is parallell to body in resting position, 2-3 mm above body. (saddle)
Unbent strings go too much out of tune when doing bends (result)

Thanks
Last edited by ulrichmew at Jun 11, 2008,
A floating trem will always do that. Changing springs around isn't going to do anything.
Hm, isnt that something you just need to live with? My guitar with a OFR goes slightly out of tune when i bend, not much. I heard only Ibanez's tremolos can handle those bends.
Gear: ESP Horizon
I`m not seeking to remove the problem, i`m seeking to minimize it..
Last edited by ulrichmew at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by Bentloaf
Hm, isnt that something you just need to live with? My guitar with a OFR goes slightly out of tune when i bend, not much. I heard only Ibanez's tremolos can handle those bends.

Only the ZR. And it only drastically reduces the detuning, doesn't solve it completely.
To point it out; i don`t have any tuning issues, but i think unbent strings change too much pitch when bending, i.e i want the saddle to move less when bending a single string.
the only remedy to me would be to flush mount the the trem............or heavier strings and more spring tension would make it alittle better.
What about installing a tremol- no? It's got a hardtail mode that keeps double- stops in tune.
Quote by ulrichmew
1) How should the spring screws (the ones attatched to the body) be calibrated. I`ve heard that the one at the light/thin string side should be a bit further into the body so that this spring will be more stretched. (I`ve got 2 screws, fairly equall now)
Lots of people do it lots of ways, but I've always been one for keeping them symmetrical. Even tension across the bridge, good. Angling the two outer springs will pre-load the trem, but as the springs "break-in" the overall tension is still going to be that of 3 springs.

Quote by ulrichmew
2) Will it help attatching more springs that are less tight (i.e 5 loose springs vs 3 thight ones) (i have 3 right now) ?
If you're trying to remedy slack in the other strings, which it sounds like you are...
Quote by ulrichmew
Unbent strings go too much out of tune when doing bends (result)
...I would suggest either maxing out the claw with 5 springs, or at least adding another. It will stiffen up the arm significantly, but the side-effect of that is a more stable system.

FWIW, I'm on a hunt for 5 of the shortest, stiffest springs I can find to help stabilize my M-II. I'm currently running a set of 4 of the shorter Ibanez springs. Its much, much better, but still tends to go out on big bends.

Quote by ulrichmew
3) How shold the springs be angeled? Parallel or as a pyramid with the basis at the tremolo, apex close to screws...
Quote by jm1681
Even tension across the bridge, good.
Word.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Last edited by jm1681 at Jun 11, 2008,
I think i`ll end up with installing this one (go to the main-page to view other trem-stabilizers)

http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/BackBox.html

But i`d like to know if there are other options before drilling holes in my guitar, and buying non-standard stuff to deal with a standard problem i was hoping people had easy standard solutions to.
Quote by jm1681
Lots of people do it lots of ways,

FWIW, I'm on a hunt for 5 of the shortest, stiffest springs I can find to help stabilize my M-II. I'm currently running a set of 4 of the shorter Ibanez springs. Its much, much better, but still tends to go out on big bends.

Word.

yeah - i wish i could find stiffer springs myself
Check this...

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/bend_flat.htm

The 47mm springs he mentions, those are what I have in my M-II. Its ridiculously tight. But, could always be just a little stiffer. I believe Rich sells the 47mm springs too. $15 is a bit pricey but they are pretty difficult to find.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"