Here's a slight dilemma that has just come up for me, and I was hoping some of you might be able to help me out:-

I've got my birthday coming up in the next couple of months and I've been looking at asking for a guitar which my parents have agreed to. I've had my eye on the Arctic White Les Paul Studio for a while and thought this would be the perfect opportunity - I think it is so sexy simply because of the simplicity of its design.

However, while in my local guitar shop today the salesperson there identified the Gibson Les Paul Studio of a very similar design, with the only visible difference being the binding (which I personally find quite distasteful) and fret inlays.

Now, whilst my parents have actually agreed to pay the cost of the 2.5x more expensive Custom (AU$4199), I'm still not convinced its the best idea. According to the websites, the pickups are exactly the same, and plus like I mentioned I dislike the binding anyway. Other then the possibility of a Custom increasing in value over time, are there any other reasons I should get the Custom?
definitely get the custom over the studio. i'd rather get an epiphone standard or elitist instead of the studio. the Custom is way better than the studio in terms of craftsmanship, quality, well, basically everything.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Custom surely? Don't a lot of guys say the Studio is a lacking? I've never played one before, but I would go with the custom.
Quote by yeskia
Here's a slight dilemma that has just come up for me, and I was hoping some of you might be able to help me out:-

I've got my birthday coming up in the next couple of months and I've been looking at asking for a guitar which my parents have agreed to. I've had my eye on the Arctic White Les Paul Studio for a while and thought this would be the perfect opportunity - I think it is so sexy simply because of the simplicity of its design.

However, while in my local guitar shop today the salesperson there identified the Gibson Les Paul Studio of a very similar design, with the only visible difference being the binding (which I personally find quite distasteful) and fret inlays.

Now, whilst my parents have actually agreed to pay the cost of the 2.5x more expensive Custom (AU$4199), I'm still not convinced its the best idea. According to the websites, the pickups are exactly the same, and plus like I mentioned I dislike the binding anyway. Other then the possibility of a Custom increasing in value over time, are there any other reasons I should get the Custom?

you're spoiled dude, save your own money for a guitar. you'll appreciate it more
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
Quote by mattiwillohouse
you're spoiled dude, save your own money for a guitar. you'll appreciate it more

if you've got it...
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
Get the custom, you'll probably regret getting the studio, even if it is just for the name.
I hate saying this, but if your parents are about to buy you that Custom, then for fuck's sake, take it. Even if you decide it's not worth it later, you may be able to sell it for more than you bought it for. I think that's a bit spoiled, but whatever.

And if you do decide to get the Studio, make sure you play the one you buy. The quality control is terrible - some kick ass, others, well, don't.
Quote by mattiwillohouse

He is kinda right.
Anyway, if your parents want to buy you a custom shop guitar then what are you nagging about? :s
I mean have a look at the possibilities with the money they're willing to pay, add some of ur own cash if you find a more expensive guitar you want and hell I dunno
Take time to choose, LOOK for a guitar that suits you perfectly, andso-on.
And no offense but you're really spoiled bigtime :s
What? Your parents are letting you spend that much money and instead of say? Getting a custom made guitar from ESP or something that would suit you PERFECTLY (because you would say what specifications you want) you're just gonna blow loads a money on some Les Paul of which you're paying about 3/4 of the price for the name.
Well, the Studio is hit-or-miss, some of them are 'okay', but a lot of them are sub-par.

On the other hand that's a Custom Shop LP Custom you're talking about, and jesus christ that thing will probably be the best guitar you'll ever touch.

There should be no question about which one you get.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Guitar Sushi
What? Your parents are letting you spend that much money and instead of say? Getting a custom made guitar from ESP or something that would suit you PERFECTLY (because you would say what specifications you want) you're just gonna blow loads a money on some Les Paul of which you're paying about 3/4 of the price for the name.

yeah I agree. get a custom shop ESP or Jackson or whatever . but if you really love Les Pauls, the gibson ones , go for the custom ..
The QC on the Studio is really not perfect. Some are great, some are terrible.
The Customs, however, are 99%. Almost every one is perfect. Occasionally, a bad one comes by.... but they are rare.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
dude if you can get a high end gibson why get low end
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
i'd get a custom too, most users here agree that the studio has low quality control. why settle for anything less that perfect?
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Personally, I would get the Studio. Bu obviously I would try out as many as I could to find the right one. Then I would use the rest of the money to get a decent amp to go with it, as I have a hunch the TS doesn't have a decent one right now.

AMP > guitar, people.

The extra money you would save would leave you the cash for some amazing amps.
Quote by greggybhoy
Personally, I would get the Studio. Bu obviously I would try out as many as I could to find the right one. Then I would use the rest of the money to get a decent amp to go with it, as I have a hunch the TS doesn't have a decent one right now.

AMP > guitar, people.

The extra money you would save would leave you the cash for some amazing amps.

i think if you're getting a guitar in the gibson custom class you should already have a good amp. or am i hopelessly naive here that the TS has a good tube?

TS might want to consider downgrading to an lp standard and upgrade your amp, they're better than the studio's but afaik don't have a white finish.
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Holy ****. Your parents would spend 4.2k AUD on a guitar for you? Man, my parents probably wouldn't even fork out a grand not that I'd ever let them pay for a guitar. I'd buy it myself.

But yeah, anyway, 4.2k is a bit too expensive for me. Australian prices are way higher than the US for Gibsons. I'd go for a used custom on ebay or look into another guitar like an ESP Eclipse.
Congratulations! You have so many options with that kind of scratch!

I have a different experience from most of the posters in that the Studios I've played have been tight. Consider that as one of the top guitar brands, they do care about their rep.

Make sure that you also buy the proper tube/valve amp so you can do justice to which ever Gibson you decide to buy.

The best source for amp information is the Guitar Gear & Accessories forum: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33 Start a thread there for amp recommendations depending on the type of music you play. There are lots of knowledgeable folks there.

Whatever model you choose, I'm sure you'll be pleased! Good Luck!

BTW, if brand name isn't an issue, there are tons of MIJ copies which are equal or come close to the tone and looks of Gibsons. And since you're in Australia, you'll probably have easy access to some of them:

^+76.2

A japanese manufacturer can produce guitars much better than current Gibsons anyway, check out Tokai, Edwards, Orville etc, quality guitars and cheaper than Gibson and usually better.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by mattiwillohouse

+1. honestly. your parents are willing to get you a bloody LP custom ?
not only would i feel bad to accept that if that would happen to me, but you won't appreciate it as much, like this guy already said.

IMHO, get a job !
Quote by tdrules
if you've got it...

Haha, yea.

Anyways, I would find a fair medium and go for the standard.
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Quote by Oblivian
Haha, yea.

Anyways, I would find a fair medium and go for the standard.

Agreed. Make sure you pick a nice one, as many here and myself will be quick to tell you the QC on some Gibsons is a little inconsistent at times, as it is with any manufacturer.