hey guys,
I have a mexican strat as you can see and I was wondering whether I could possibley make the tremolo work a bit better by loosening the two outer pivot screws on the bridge. I have also loosened the 4 inner screws to reduce friction and my spring tension is already setup, I was just simply thinking about experimenting a bit. Is there any set measurements as such to the pivot screws?

PS my trem is flush with the body

thanx
Last edited by striker327 at Jun 11, 2008,
Quite honestly the trem on the MiM are lacking in many ways. You can mess with it but other than blocking it and making it a hard tail it won't do you much good. I have a MIM also and i opted to put a wilkinson vs100 on it. Glad I did. I also added a roller nut at the same time. Switched out the pups for a loaded pickguard from EMG. It might be my best guitar now. I like you was totally unsatisfied with the trem.

So block it or upgrade it. You can get an american 2 point trem for 60-70 bucks and have a tech put it on for you.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
ah ic.... mmm, but would it make any difference if i did adjust the pivot screws in some way. I am also aware that if they are loosened then the trem might pivot easier.
1.) I personally am completely happy with my Vintage Trem
2.) Striker didn't say he was unhappy
3.) Striker wants to losen the Trem for more action or float so why would he block it?
4.) Yes you can losen the screws a bit provide more playability - typically 1/8 or 1/4" just go slow and tune as you go and if you still don't get the play you want you can reduce the number of springs on the spring claw in back to 3

5.) This comes up a lot so let the Search Bar be your friend
6.) Yes I hear the Wilkenson's are nice
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 11, 2008,
with it flush to the body the scews need to be just tight enuff to keep the front of the trem from pulling up from the body of your guitar. when it's floating all the screws can be loose.
Thanx for all your help guys.. How do you reckon the tunning stability would be if I were to float a mexican strat bridge?
Quote by striker327
Thanx for all your help guys.. How do you reckon the tunning stability would be if I were to float a mexican strat bridge?

Probably not great.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Quote by CutlassSupreme
Probably not great.

guys i hate to break the news to ya but my MIM strat stays in almost perfect tune all the frickin time.

i've got .10s and it is maybe 1/8" up (in back bridge of course)

i wouldn't say i play a lot (15-30 min a day) but when i do i pretty much punish the wammy bar. it also sits in an area that is air conditioned but get serious sunlight for an hour or two everyday.

i was in mexico for a week and when i came back i was amazed to find out that it was still pretty much in tune.

Cutlass - what has been your experience?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 12, 2008,
Ah sweet I found the reason for the tunning problem... Its because I had the screws slightly flush with the front of the bridge plate. I found if you have them slightly un-flush then you get better stability... God knows why
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Cutlass - what has been your experience?

Generally, bends and whammy bar usage higher than a half step would pull my vintage tremolo's out of tune.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
orly.. Well I finished setting mine up and I think i solved my whammy abuse tunning problems. now, I don't go out of tune even if I dive. What I ended up doing was tighten the trem plate screws as far as they go just to make sure that that plate was definitely flat for when i brought the screws back up. then I backed the screws off all the way until they were sticking out. After that i screwed the screws back so that they were barely flush with the plate and wallah! the tremolo was flush with the pickgaurd and ever since I haven't had it going out of tune like a crazy mofo

PS I also reduced spring tension
yep - that's it

just remember anytime you make a change (alt tuning, different gauge strings, more than usual wammy use, whatever) you may or may not need to make these fine adjustments.

and i usually just do it with the strings on so the tension is there - otherwise you won't know what you are adjusting too. glad you figured it out.
sweet man, thanx for your help!! Yeh thats gonna be the only problem since my friend hate Eb (which is what I'm in all the time) and that means if i go standard my trem is gonna be on a 90 degree angle lol (over exaduration there)
no prob dude

yeah, drop tuning 1/2 step down and back and down and back isn't going to make all that drasitc of a difference on your bridge.

craziest thing i ever did was when i went back to Standard tuning (after being dropped for months) and also going from .9s to .10s (and forgetting to stretch the strings) my Trem pulled out as far as it could go and i freaked out for 5 minutes and just worked it back down slowly.
ah lol... that would of been annoying, thats the only bad thing lol Eb rocks but its just not as popular lol... but yeh i reckon upgrading a trem on an MIM might be still worth it. I probably will still go with a vintage 6 point being that i like to be a traditionalist and while I'm there I probably put a left hand tremolo on like Stevie ray did
yeah - ok

it was not annoying -it was an extreme (example)

6 point MIM imo ...gives you just that much more range.

my point was simpy that if you make changes to the action or string gauge you gotta be preparred to make fine adjustments
yeh I'm aware of that, but the only thing you would need to change is the spring tension, everything else would be fine for the trem that is
Last edited by striker327 at Jun 13, 2008,