Guys, I got a 4x12. I have these speakers from WGS (warehouse speakers) who make clones of celestions. Before you bash them, read the reviews. Excellent cust service, superior product. [/end_plug]

Anyhow I'm baffled by the Randall RM2-50 power amp. Some guys on another forum say I'm going to blow up my RM2-50 and say I'm running it as 2 ohms. I disagree.

The RM2-50 2 channels, and has for each channel this
1. input
2. speaker output 1 (use first)
3. speker output 2
4. Ohms selector (which is set to 4ohms)

Now my 4x12 is essentially split into 2 2x12. So 2 2x12's wired to one jack and 2 2x12's wired to another jack in the 4x12 cab. I did it like this to test the differences in the speakers on top vs. bottom.

So I'm essentially plugging 2 4ohm cabs into channel 1 on different outputs

Is this still 4ohms? Or does it make the load on the amp 2 ohms?

I even tested the speakers when wired in parallel so 2 8ohm speakers in parallel = 4ohms

tested both sets of 2x12's wired in the 4x12 and each set = 4 ohms or so.

So am I going to blow up my amp?

Thanks, Kevin

Last edited by knuckleslammer at Jun 11, 2008,
If the two sets of 2 speakers are completely isolated from each other. Then I I wouldn't think you're in any trouble there.

However, I wouldn't take my word for it, I'd ask a professional.
If the jacks on the same channel are parallel, its 2 ohms and could fry your amp.
If they're series, it's 8 ohms and won't hurt anything.
Most often they are parallel.

I presume you are running two 8 ohm speakers in parallel for each jack on the cab?
Pop the speakers out, wire them in series. Then you'll have two 16 ohm pairs and you can plug those into the same channel for an overall resistance of 8 ohms.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin
If the jacks on the same channel are parallel, its 2 ohms and could fry your amp.
If they're series, it's 8 ohms and won't hurt anything.
Most often they are parallel.

I presume you are running two 8 ohm speakers in parallel for each jack on the cab?
Pop the speakers out, wire them in series. Then you'll have two 16 ohm pairs and you can plug those into the same channel for an overall resistance of 8 ohms.

Channel 1 of the amp has an ohms selector as you see. 4/8/16
It has 2 outputs for channel 1

Now if it's set to 4ohms, does that mean each output jack is 4ohms?
^+1, you are running 2ohm right now into 1 channel, the jacks are in parallel. You probably will eventually fry something if you keep running this way.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids