Poll: When is a band too old?
Poll Options
View poll results: When is a band too old?
20s - 30s
0 0%
30s - 40s
0 0%
40s - 50s
1 1%
50s - 60s
4 3%
60s - 70s
4 3%
70s - 80s
1 1%
Older
0 0%
Never - if they're making good music, who cares?
109 92%
Voters: 119.
I would imagine that many of us woud like to pursue a career in the musical industry, but is there such a thing as being over the musical hill? Would you want to perform until you pop your clogs, like the Stones, or BB King?

Or would you think you're perhaps past it, or be too old to put on the same standard of show you did as a youngster?

Or would you reach a compromise, like recording, but not performing, or going into production?

Discuss, my compadres
Quote by filthandfury
I only do that on MSN, and I get many complaints about it.

F&F will have cyber sex with you on MSN. He's a bit handsy though.

I have become..... METACARPI!!!!

I wish

Joeymaxx
Never.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
When every member of the band is dead

Even then, the music will live forever
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
If people still want to come to the shows, then I might as well keep putting them on :-P
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend.

I love punk, I love ska, I love acoustic, and I love you.
I think the Beuna Vista Social Club have definitively shown that you're never too old.
As long as they still make good music, I don't see why age should be an issue, but if they're old and just milking their career because they can... eeurgh.
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
a band is too old when they say they're too old.
Until then, they might be old but not 'too' old
No way man, even if you're too old to be running around onstage and smashing guitars and whatnot, it doesn't mean you're in any way too old to express yourself and make good music. If your creativity is still with you, then it doesn't matter a bit how old you are.
It really depends how good you are really.

Look at Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones, people would still pay and arm and a leg to go to their shows.

But then I can't imagine many people would've wanted to see Milli Vanilli when they're 60.
This is a very interesting concept. I seen a interview on youtube a few weeks ago where Eric Clapton is making a new cd, but admits to not being as good of a guitar player as he once was, not pulling off the same licks and riffs which once came so natural too him. Many muscians do go threw a break up phase in their carrier where their band all takes different musical viewpoints and seperation occurs, but for bands or solo artists such as Clapton, that usually stay threw it thick in thin, if they are still producing and selling records, and having fun (which after all is the main key within music), then I doubt they will care of their age. Case and point, The Stones.
Quote by pimpslap1236
the cops will lie to you. accept it. believing things they say is the intellectual equivalent of sticking your dick in a pencil sharpener.

R.I.P Samantha
I think there does come a point when a person is too old to play shows. Let's be honest, how many of us want to see an 80 year old, about to pass out from walking up the steps to get onto the stage. I think you should still jam if you're old, but I wouldn't go out and play, just to save myself from embarrassment. But I still voted for 'You're never too old'. If I was 80 and my fingers still moved like they do now, I'd be playing out
When all the band members are dead.
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos
I never brag about how incredibly awesome I am.

Quote by matt bickerton
It really depends how good you are really.

Look at Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones, people would still pay and arm and a leg to go to their shows.

But then I can't imagine many people would've wanted to see Milli Vanilli when they're 60.

One band that supported the Rolling Stones (a rather famous one too) said the band had forgotten what the music was, and that they were just a corporate machine - the fans showed up, and the support band played while the audience flicked through the catalogues, wondering whether to buy the Rolling Stone jeans or not.
Quote by filthandfury

I wish

Joeymaxx
Last edited by Sozes Flying V at Jun 11, 2008,
theyre too old when they absolutely too old and crumpled to play
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Metal_Hed_23, will you marry me?

Quote by drewfromutah
If she takes her pill properly and you still pill out or use a condom, just quit having sex altogether. The damn pill was built so that you can ride bareback and film your own creampie movies afterwards.
Quote by Metal_Hed_23
theyre too old when they absolutely too old and crumpled to play

Unless you're Keith Richards.
Quote by Sozes Flying V
One band that supported the Rolling Stones (a rather famous one too) said the band had forgotten what the music was, and that they were just a corporate machine - the fans showed up, and the support band played while the audience flicked through the catalogues, wondering whether to buy the Rolling Stone jeans or not.

Who?
Good Charlotte sounds like...uh...they sound like...um...well, they taste like a popsicle stick thats been shoved up someones ass -Eddie Vedder

REMEMBER DISCO: All stupid fads go away with time. STOP COMPLAINING
so long as your still making good music then you're never too old, although you would hope that a band's music would mature because you wouldn't want Blink182 for example still singing about girls and teenage life when they are like 40 lol
Quote by israels_son
Who?

Chilis - in Kiedis's auto-biography
Quote by filthandfury

I wish

Joeymaxx
Never. Hell, Les Paul is 93 and still performing.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Music is about the music, not the image. I don't care if they're old, fat, or ugly, as long as the music they make is good.
The medium is the message!
Quote by The Rambler
Music is about the music, not the image. I don't care if they're old, fat, or ugly, as long as the music they make is good.

The guy speaks truth.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Demoralising women is just one of the many services we provide here at UG
Quote by Flying Couch
You're never too old.

+1
My favorite band is in their 40's...see title...and they rock harder than a lot of other younger bands.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Good music yeah- but does it get to a point of loss of stage presence as they play sitting down?
/CENTER]
I think that if they can still record/write awesome music at 95, that'd be cool. But at some point, I think they're just physically too handicapped by age to really keep touring.

To be honest, past 80 I notice the ability of people seems to decrease. Granted, there's exceptions, like Les Paul.
I'd never tell a band to quit playing if they love it, but it really depends act to act. I mean, I saw Clapton in his 60s, and he was great, because he was out there playing old blues stuff, and that can get better with age. Now, would I want to see a 60 something Jagger gyrating on stage or an old Plant trying to hit high notes?....well, I'd still go see them but those acts don't seem to age so well. And to be fair Plant couldn't hit those high notes out of the studio anyways. (BTW, i like Zep and the Stones)