Page 1 of 2
Hey
I need some of your opinions for what you think is the best electric under $200
It's for a beginner, and please, no amp suggestions. Oh, and if I had to choose between a Squire and a Yamaha Pacifica, which one should I go for?

Thanks a lot in advance
Last edited by Roookie at Jun 11, 2008,
I love my Squier bullet...it's moded tho.
Never played the Pacifica.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Squier is prolly your best bet. I really like my roomates. I mean for what you pay, it's not that bad.
I would recommend a epiphone Les Paul or SG style. I think they are well under $180 and pretty decent guitars for the money
Ok, I changed the budget, it's $200. Is there any Ibanez that's good for that price?
Quote by Roookie
Ok, I changed the budget, it's $200. Is there any Ibanez that's good for that price?

IMO you should save up to atleast something like an Ibanez GRG, $200 won't get you anything better than some of those Jumpstart guitars, which are just as bad as Squiers.
These Xaviere Guitars are by far the best in the price range.

Better pickups than guitars 3x the price.

These Rogues have really good specs and are surprisingly good.

You should also take a look at the guitars at www.rondomusic.com.

You might also want to consider going used.

Any Ibanez, Squier, or Epiphone new in this price range is not going to be good.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Jun 11, 2008,
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
The Pacifica is much better than the squier.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
I don't really need any that good, I mean, I just want a good beginner guitar, hence my budget. Oh, and if there are any good starter packs for around $250, it would be awesome.
What style of music do you listen to?
Guitars gear
Fender Nashville Telecaster
Vox AD30 Valvetronix
Zoom 707 multi effects
Quote by HeliuM
The Pacifica is much better than the squier.

Yah, go for one of those.
I have an Ibanez GAX30, it's in that price range and I like it quite a bit. I'm a noob so I don't know guitars extremely well but I've been happy with it, it has a few issues with fret buzz but it puts out a nice, dark tone that I like, and I think it has a fuller sound then the Squire's that I've heard.

My 2 cents...take it for what it's worth.
What music do you like?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Pacifica is VERY good, and DO NOT get a starter pack there amps blow more dick than Jenna Jameson. So seriously, get a Mirco Cube and a Pacifica.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Well Personally I love my Squier Strat. It's pretty nice. It's not junk. Some of these players above prolly are alot more advanced in skill than you (not to offend you) so their standards on a good guitar are higher than yours. Personally For under 200 I like my Squier Strat, Epiphone Les Paul Special, Epiphone SG special. and if your lucky I have found guitars priced at around 250 new but have found them for 99 because of paint chips in shipping. So you may wanna check out your local store. Just try it out first so you know all the pick-ups work fine... I hope I helped
Quote by TC1223
Randy Rhodes custom Jackson

The joke mightve been funny if you couldve managed to spell Rhoads right.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
a good starter pack?

microcube $106-125
ibanez fixed bridge, there are several for around $150.
a cable, a tuner, a pick.

examples...
http://www.music123.com/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp-481169-i1175936.Music123?source=ZWWRWXGB

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GAX30-Electric-Guitar?sku=519725
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRX20-Electric-Guitar?sku=519417

the last one, you'd need to block or keep the bridge tight.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 11, 2008,
Just go and find something you like. Most guitars in that price range aren't going to be particularly good anyways, so get something that makes you want to play. Grab a cheap practice amp (used if you can) and a cheap handheld Korg tuner (tuning by ear is a good skill, but you will pick that up anyways, and initially you will be much better off being able to always play in tune then you would be trying to develop the ability to tune by ear as fast as possible).

There's a pretty good chance that once you get better, you are going to realize you hate the style of your equipment (neck scale, body design, pick-up configuration, practice amp type, etc), so no sense spending too much on it.
I dunno, I find the GRX20 a good low budget guitar. Mine is modded, but still :p
^the gx is a low budget guitar.

But if you want a starter set, then make sure you get a great starter amp like the micro cube. then you are so far ahead of the game.
as long as the starter guitar you find, stays in tune, the amp will make it better.

conversely, in a real starter pack the cheap amps that come wt them, make the starter guitar they come with, even worse.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
a good starter pack?

microcube $106-125
ibanez fixed bridge, there are several for around $150.
a cable, a tuner, a pick.

examples...
http://www.music123.com/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp-481169-i1175936.Music123?source=ZWWRWXGB

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GAX30-Electric-Guitar?sku=519725
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRX20-Electric-Guitar?sku=519417

the last one, you'd need to block or keep the bridge tight.

+1 on the Microcube. as for a guitar i probably go for something from rondomusic.net, you'll find a great guitar for the price.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
have you considered a used guitar, you could get a better one used. i see shecters, jacksons, ibanezes all the time 4 sale at pawn shops for 200 or less. as for new, look at the ibby gax -70. it has a mahogany body and a maple neck. they play very nice for a starter axe.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by cloudjessie42
Epiphone Les Paul Special II and Line6 Spider III 15

before anyone starts to flame, hes a noob. but it's actually not that bad of an idea considering his budget. but a Microcube would be 10x better.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
if you mean 200USD, i believe the Ibanez SA120 is around that price.

it's a brilliant guitar according to reviews here on UG, my guitar teacher, as well as a number of friends around me
Lol the Pacifica is an Awesome guitar, Infact the wellknown Youtube guitarist Killrbuckeye has one, and the sound he gets outta it is Amazing!

Anyway you can buy a Dean ML-XM for under £200 I'm pretty sure, there quite good
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
eBay and craigslist for bargains, if you wanna take your chances.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Check rondomusic. Some Agile fall under that price.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Yamaha Pacifica 112 (and above) are superb for that price range.

As is the Squier 51.

Squier Affinity Tele

Ibanez RG321 (Not sure how much it is)
Many have already stated the best options.

On an ultimate budget but very good guitars try either Rondo or Guitarfetish (Xaviere) and the microcube is a great guitar for a beginner. You should have no problem getting a guitar and amp for $200 to $300 dollars.
[quote="'Anno[fzk"]']The Vox DA5 owns the Microcube.

not. everytime i try one it's a buzz-a-thon.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Like someone else mentioned get an Ibanez RG2EX1 they are very good beginner guitars, the really only need a set of aftermarket pick-ups later down the road to get more of your personal tone out of them.
they sell for anywhere between $200-$250 used (GC usually has them used @ $250).

If a strat is more of your thing consider the Yamaha Pacifica, they sell for cheap used.

These two guitars are awesome stock, and can be easily modded/upgraded to your tastes.

Avoid any Epiphone with the "special model" title on them. Actually most epiphones in the $200 price range really really suck compared to other makes like ibanez or yamaha.

good luck to you.
lost and confused,
focused on the obscured.

(\__/) (`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ | ¸.·'´¸.·'´¸.·'´
(o.0 ) (´¨`·.¸¸~MoRBiDThOuGhTs~¸¸.·´¨`)
(> < ) (¸.·'´(¸.·'´(¸.·'´ | `'·.¸`'·.¸`'·.¸
Quote by FacingUsAll
These Xaviere Guitars are by far the best in the price range.

Better pickups than guitars 3x the price.

These Rogues have really good specs and are surprisingly good.

You should also take a look at the guitars at www.rondomusic.com.

You might also want to consider going used.

Any Ibanez, Squier, or Epiphone new in this price range is not going to be good.

This man speaks the truth. if you do look into Rondo's guitars, look at AGILEs, not Douglas, SX or whatever else they sell.
Page 1 of 2