Page 1 of 4
This being a guitar website, it naturally has a lot of band names floating around. People often refer to the members of the band collectively. The thing that really bothers me is when people say things like "Metallica are" or "Pink Floyd are". It seems to me that since the band name is singular these people should use the singular verb "is" (exceptions would be plural band names of course). If I were going to refer to all the members of a band I would say "the members of Pink Floyd are amazing" instead of "Pink Floyd are amazing". When I read things of such an obvious incorrect nature little mental warnings go off in my mind and it just bothers me.

P.S. I am not a huge grammar buff but this just seems like common sense to me. Any grammar nazis care to confirm what I said?

TL;DR EDIT DUE TO DOUCHEBAGGERY: I would like it if people said "Metallica is" rather than "Metallica are" because it is correct.
Last edited by GerGuam at Jun 11, 2008,
To me it just doesn't sound right using "is", sounds better with "are".
Quote by korinaflyingv
i think it's become gradually accepted to make this mistake... lots of adults say "are", so you're just gonna have to live with it.

I guess it will be like gangster speech on a much lesser level. I can live with it but I will cringe inside every time I hear/see it.
Yeah, it's irritating. I use "is" unless the band name itself is plural.
While looking at a guitar magazine with some friends.

Quote by Kaleb
DUDE! Is that a Mel Gibson?!

Quote by boreamor
Don't you understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar? It's the online symbol of maturity. And you as sure as hell don't have that.
people speak in a shortened dialect, because most people are proficient in the use of teh language, instead of saying the members of ..... are good, they shorten it to metallica's good.
dont see the problem myself.
@ ts no. wrong wrong wrong, people refer to "metallica" etc as a plural (meaning all the members)it's just a shorter way of saying "the members of Metallica are", people just say "Metallica are". Do you honestly tell me you would say in person "Members of 'insert band name here' rock", get over your self dude.
Quote by Helpy Helperton
@ ts no. wrong wrong wrong, people refer to "metallica" etc as a plural (meaning all the members)it's just a shorter way of saying "the members of Metallica are", people just say "Metallica are". Do you honestly tell me you would say in person "Members of 'insert band name here' rock", get over your self dude.

No, I would say "Metallica is" if I wanted to. It's not like I hear people saying "Metallica are the best band EVER!!11" and I don't see how the understanding in this phrase does not carry over to other aspects of talking about the band.
"Are" sounds better, and it makes more sense to refer to bands this way (in plural)

Proof:

Q: Do you like Metallica
A: Yes, THEY ARE awesome

you wouldn't say

A: Yes, IT IS awesome
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
^ good reply exactly the way i think of it, you don't say a collection of something IS, it sounds like your taking the piss (those bees are making honey > those bees is making honey) sounds like !!11! internet language to me. And since when can someone identify something as singluar whenever they want? if something is plural it means because it is/contains more than one.

@ Gerguam you say Metallica is good, sorry but that just sounds retarded to me and i can't help at laugh at the fact that you changed you initial post with a to try and "win", you IS sad (wait that's singular, why not use is?? because it sounds ****ing stupid that's why) don't always look at plural vs singular, grammar doesn't work that way,

almost forgot the
Last edited by Helpy Helperton at Jun 11, 2008,
^What he said.

"Metallica is the best band" sounds plain silly.

Use plural because you are referring to a group of people.
Quote by Helpy Helperton

+1

Can't stop laughing from the TS post.

Quote by urbanfox
^What he said.

"Metallica is the best band" sounds plain silly.

Use plural because you are referring to a group of people.

Doesn't it sound even more silly to actually say "Metallica are the best band"? When talking about a band IS is the word to use.... I'd use IS on this occasion
It isn't.

It sounds like you are retarded using 'is' to describe a group.

It would be like saying 'my friends is the best' or something like that.

It's probably a matter of where you come from. If you speak another language than English, maybe it's something to do with that. *shrugs*
Quote by Random88
"Are" sounds better, and it makes more sense to refer to bands this way (in plural)

Proof:

A: Yes, THEY ARE awesome

you wouldn't say

A: Yes, IT IS awesome

Metallica IS a band. It IS a band. THEY (the members) form IT (the band). When referring to what they have collectively formed (which is IT, the band) you use the singular verb form.
Quote by urbanfox
It isn't.

It sounds like you are retarded using 'is' to describe a group.

It would be like saying 'my friends is the best' or something like that.

No, because "friends" is plural while "Metallica" is not. This isn't extremely tough stuff guys. Sorry for possible double post.
It depends...

I (and I guess most of the others do by the look of it) see them as a group (i.e the members), you obviously see it as an object (i.e. the band)

Edit: That base has already been covered. Meh.
Quote by GerGuam
Metallica IS a band. It IS a band. THEY (the members) form IT (the band). When referring to what they have collectively formed (which is IT, the band) you use the singular verb form.

So would you answer the question with 'Yes, it is awesome'

Cos that would sound retarded...
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by petrina_678
JEEZ as along as its understandable ... let it be..!!!!

i gess anytin is fin3 as l0ng as u can gt te mess4ge... srry guz....

/sarcasm

Quote by Random88
So would you answer the question with 'Yes, it is awesome'

Cos that would sound retarded...

I wouldn't use the pronoun in that context.
Quote by Lakey
To me it just doesn't sound right using "is", sounds better with "are".

Actually it should be "is" because Metallica is a single identity, so you are referring to that single identity, it just happens to be comprised of more than one individual.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Man, people on this site are really pissy about spelling and grammer and stuff eh
Quote by GerGuam

no you dont a band is a group, i cant belive you fail english so bad you need to question a basic grammer that has been set in english fo bizzilions of years

edit
bizzilions!!!!

edit
BIZZILIONS!!!!!!!!!
✠ ☠ ✠
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Fendi Shoes is actually extremely advantageous.
Quote by Sabu
Man, people on this site are really pissy about spelling and grammer and stuff eh

I can ignore this stuff IRL but when I see it typed then it gives me more time to think about it and it gnaws at my brain until I make a futile attempt to correct it (I.E. this thread).

Quote by sirrjj
no you dont a band is a group, i cant belive you fail english so bad you need to question a basic grammer that has been set in english fo bizzilions of years

Sorry I got caught up on those few words and noticed how you inadvertently contradicted yourself. Upon further inspection of your post I realize I have been troll'd(I hope).
Last edited by GerGuam at Jun 11, 2008,
Band names are collective nouns because bands are a group of people, therefore the 'XXX are' is grammatically correct. No?

In linguistics, collective noun is a word used to define a group of objects, where "objects" can be people, animals, inanimate things, concepts, or other things. For example, in the phrase "a pride of lions," pride is a collective noun.

It's 'grammar'
^^^^^ Thank you Liam. That just about clears up any possible arguments claiming that I am wrong. Now I will be able to sleep at night...
Quote by GerGuam
^^^^^ Thank you Liam. That just about clears up any possible arguments claiming that I am wrong. Now I will be able to sleep at night...

I don't know if it's absolutely right, but it makes more sense given the context that band names are used.
Because thy are bands, bands of people
Metallica is a band.....that works fine with an is
Metallica is awesome.....you just sound strange or even worse you sound like a wannabe 'gangsta' guy
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
Because thy are bands, bands of people
Metallica is a band.....that works fine with an is
Metallica is awesome.....you just sound like a whigga

'Metallica' is/are a group of people, those people make up Metallica, therefore Metallica ARE a band...when it comes down to it the band name acts as a collective noun, making ARE the 'standard' ...there is no such thing as CORRECT English (I just remembered this ).

This could go on forever
Last edited by Liam. at Jun 11, 2008,
Tell me, mate, do you say:
"The people are..."
or
"The people is..."?

The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Tell me, mate, do you say:
"The people are..."
or
"The people is..."?

Bad example, do you say "The Metallica are..."?
This is the worst thread ever. I want to die.

Disclaimer: I don't want to die, and I say Pink Floyd are.
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
I'll be a bit clearer. A band name is a collective proper noun. Therefore you use the plural.

k.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Liam.
Bad example, do you say "The Metallica are..."?

why would you say 'the metallica' in the first place
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
why would you say 'the metallica' in the first place

That was my point.

The better example:

Do you say "People is..." or "People are..."

There you go.

The example of 'The people' is different because of the determiner 'the' if you want to be technical:

* A definite article (English the) is used before singular and plural nouns that refer to a particular member of a group.

The cat is on the mat.

(Who expected a linguistics lesson on UG!?)
Last edited by Liam. at Jun 11, 2008,
Page 1 of 4