howdy, if i lower my action on my prs se singlecut it buzzes on my high E string, ive had it set up for free at my local guitar shop, and well they just seem to higher the action and change the stings. just to note my desired action isnt really that low!

any help as to how i can resolve this!?

regards,

Garry
Quote by gpmarshall
howdy, if i lower my action on my prs se singlecut it buzzes on my high E string, ive had it set up for free at my local guitar shop, and well they just seem to higher the action and change the stings. just to note my desired action isnt really that low!

any help as to how i can resolve this!?

regards,

Garry

There are a couple of things that could cause this......
After fretting a fingerboard the manufacturer normally recrowns the frets (files a round profile or crown on top). Sometimes they don't do as consistent a job in the higher frets as this area is over the body and harder to access with a file. So one cause could be a fret or frets that are actually taller above the 12th fret. You can check this with a straight edge by resting it on it's side on top of the frets. You may also have an incorrectly adjusted truss rod with too much relief. Truss rod basically affects only up to the 15th fret. If there's too much relief, fretting notes around this area will cause buzzing. Relief is checked by fretting the low or high e on the first fret and the 15th fret at the same time and observing the gap betwwen the fret crown and bottom of the string around the 7th - 9th fret area.
The last cause is a hump in the fret board where it runs over the body.
thank you KenG for the very in depth guide, all though i have one more question being not to good at this, what sort of gap around the 7th and 9th fret would indicate the need for truss rod adjustment.

thanks again,

Garry
0.004 - 0.012 inches is considered fairly normal. If you don't have spark plug gap (feeler)gauges you could use a really thin pick as a guide. A cheap set of gauges though are less than $10.