Page 1 of 2
So I've been playing about 2 months, maybe 2 and a half and I can play
Wish-Linkin Park's Version
The Hand That Feeds-NIN
Pain-Jimmy Eat World
All The Small Things-Blink-182
I Miss You-Blink-182
You're Not Alone-Saosin
The Bird and The Worm- The Used (fairly sloppy though, I haven't played it in a while and When I learned it, it was kinda tough for me, I'll have to go back)
Smells Like Teen Spirit-Nirvana
Blitzkrieg Bop-Ramones
Rock You Like a Hurricane-Scorpions (Rhythm Part)
About half of Knights of Cydonia-Muse (Got kind of bored with it)
EDIT: I forgot a couple songs, I can play Believe-The Bravery (sort of a combination of the two guitar parts), When You Were Young-The Killers, and I can play Somebody Told Me-The Killers although I sometimes forget the intro ( I never fully memorized this one, always just played along with the tab).

And I'm also almost done learning I'm So Sick-Flyleaf (A friend requested it, not necessarily what I would have chosen to learn but w/e it's decent) and Take It Away- The Used

I can also play a LOT of fragments (Some Metallica and just a lot of different bands) and I can tap fairly well and tremolo pick to an extent.

My friend intends to start walking me through music theory (scales and their chords, notes by ear) once school's done, i only know a couple scales/chords but don't really know how to use them. This is what I'm really thinking may be a challenge because I have no prior musical experience and the best I can do as far as identifying notes is tune my guitar in an out of drop D from standard.

So basically I'm curious as to how I'm doing, I don't know if this is average stuff, I know a lot of these are really easy but I thought it was a lot of progress two months with no musical background until this point. So yeah If you guys could just give me some info as to what this looks like, whether I'm aimed in the right direction progress wise and if anyone has any suggestions as to where I should go next (specific songs would be nice) that'd be great as I'm sort of at a point where there's a lot of stuff that's very easy for me and then there's this huge leap towards stuff I'm not sure I'm ready for yet.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and feedback!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Last edited by JWD32792 at Jun 11, 2008,
"thought it was a lot of progress two months with no musical background until this point."
So you think that you progress good yourself, then you are progressing good.

There is nothing more annoying than "I played guitar x weeks and i know x songs, am i good?"-threads.
I've been playing four months. A few good songs to learn are

Place for my head-linkin park
Last resort-papa roach
Cowboys from hell-pantera
Rain wizard-black stone cherry
88-sum 41
Meant to live-switchfoot
Aerials-system of a down

These are pretty easy songs, you may have some trouble with some of the solos.
I don't know how good you are. I was able to play these no problem after 2 months, but then again, I practice 10 hours a day.
Quote by CobbZ
Well done good sir. You have talent.

Thank you, I appreciate your positive feedback!

Quote by Wideheim
There is nothing more annoying than "I played guitar x weeks and i know x songs, am i good?"-threads.

My intention was more to see whether or not this was about where guitarists tend to be at this point in their playing and where I should go next.

Quote by forsakenpromise
I've been playing four months. A few good songs to learn are

Place for my head-linkin park
Last resort-papa roach
Cowboys from hell-pantera
Rain wizard-black stone cherry
88-sum 41
Meant to live-switchfoot
Aerials-system of a down

These are pretty easy songs, you may have some trouble with some of the solos.
I don't know how good you are. I was able to play these no problem after 2 months, but then again, I practice 10 hours a day.

Haha well I'm done with school already so maybe not ten hours straight but I'm playing close to that daily I'm sure, thanks a ton for your song suggestions, I'll be sure to check those out!

Any more feedback would be great, the more input the better!
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Last edited by JWD32792 at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by JWD32792

My intention was more to see whether or not this was about where guitarists tend to be at this point in their playing and where I should go next.

It doesn't matter and it's pointless to think about it. Guitar isn't a competition, you can't judge your progress against others and you shouldn't bother trying. We all progress at different rates and we all progress in different ways.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Alright then forget about "How am I doing?" Let me rephrase this: Does anyone have any other song suggestions for me to look into given where I am in my playing?
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
my sharona by the ramones? catchy little riff i think, maybe learn the solo's out of it.

try learning some diffrent peices, i.e. blues riff's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcH-jmmaY7Q

this inspired me to pick up the blues, alot!

but overall, make sure you have fun!, that way the chances of you putting your guitar down are slim

also, try and find a certain guitarist or a few that really inspire you, for example watching rhandy rhoads playing crazytrain inspired me and i also picked up somethings from watching him play that im practicing and tweaking to my own liking.

hope this helps
Quote by wideheim
Couldn't agree more. It's not a race - it's a party.
dude you are doing ****in awsome, just keep learning songs, and go for a variety to get used to different chords and movements. youll be shredding in no time, or blues , or country or whatever you wanna play.
Natural Aptitude.

By the way, not trying to be a jerk. But you probably only know those songs, you most likely can't play them nicely.

As for the person who said he could play cowboys from hell after 4 months, Lol.
I can play about half of them fairly nicely, I just need to clean up my strumming a little on the rest
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Hello again. And I aplogise for my sarcastic text size:

BEGINNERS SONG THREAD STICKY TOP OF FORUM GO

I know I saw that, there's just a LOT of songs there. I was looking to see if people had anything in mind based on what I can already do and what i tend to play so i wouldnt have to scan through the hundreds listed there
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by Ze_Metal
Natural Aptitude.

By the way, not trying to be a jerk. But you probably only know those songs, you most likely can't play them nicely.

As for the person who said he could play cowboys from hell after 4 months, Lol.

Haha. If you don't believe that, you wouldn't believe the other songs I can play. Lol. You could name any song, and I could learn it. It would take 2 weeks at most. (Although, through the fire and flames took over a month) I'll make a thread where people can suggest new songs for me to learn.
Quote by forsakenpromise
Haha. If you don't believe that, you wouldn't believe the other songs I can play. Lol. You could name any song, and I could learn it. It would take 2 weeks at most. (Although, through the fire and flames took over a month) I'll make a thread where people can suggest new songs for me to learn.

No one on UG is that gullible.

Btw, you took 1 month out of your four total months playing guitar to learn TTFAF lol. That's not a lie.
Quote by forsakenpromise

Nobody believes you David Harrington, and even if you were telling the truth nobody wants to hear you bragging...I suggest you drop the act and start acting like a productive member of this community.

[EDIT] fixed...apologies David Harrington
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 12, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
Nobody believes you Daniel Harrington, and even if you were telling the truth nobody wants to hear you bragging...I suggest you drop the act and start acting like a productive member of this community.

1st of all, its david. But you were oh so close. Lol. 2nd I don't really care who believes me. 3rd I'm not bragging, I'm just stating facts. I'm not the best guitarist in the world. Far from it. But I can promise you that I am better than most people who have been playing for 2-3 years. I don't play guitar to be the best, I play as a way to express the way I am feeling through my music.
Quote by forsakenpromise
1st of all, its david. But you were oh so close. Lol. 2nd I don't really care who believes me. 3rd I'm not bragging, I'm just stating facts. I'm not the best guitarist in the world. Far from it. But I can promise you that I am better than most people who have been playing for 2-3 years. I don't play guitar to be the best, I play as a way to express the way I am feeling through my music.

Yeah at 4 months I was better then Eddie Van Halen aswell.
Wow, another one of these threads?? Ultra-Epic Phail.

I'm disappointed to see that people with such an aggressive mentality pickup a wonderful instrument like the guitar, and try to turn it into some rabid competition. It's just not about the music anymore.

Quote by steven seagull
It doesn't matter and it's pointless to think about it. Guitar isn't a competition, you can't judge your progress against others and you shouldn't bother trying. We all progress at different rates and we all progress in different ways.

Perfectly put Seagull!
Quote by forsakenpromise

Rofl. I think it's about time you just quit posting to at least stop from humiliating yourself even more. Why don't you spend the extra time to go hang out and jam with Dream Theater while you're at it?
so... let me get this straight. When I try to post, and actually help someone, and you guys come on here and talk **** about me, I'm the one thats humiliating themselves?
Lmao! Listen, for future reference, I don't care who believes me. I am not saying I'm better than van halen. I'm not saying I'm better than any of you. I'm just saying I practice every day until my fingers start bleeding or go numb. I worked hard to get to the skill level I'm at, and I did it by myself. I look at playing guitar in a completely different way than any of you. I don't see notes and scales. I see feeling. I can start a riff off as a happy carefree melody, then I can move to a completely different emotion. This is the way I play guitar. That is the way it was meant to be played. If you don't agree with my approach, fine. But leave me the **** alone.
Quote by JWD32792
Alright then forget about "How am I doing?" Let me rephrase this: Does anyone have any other song suggestions for me to look into given where I am in my playing?

Hey JWD32792,

That's really good. I think you're on the right path. Can you post some of your recordings of the covers that you mentioned? One of the ways for knowing where you are is to "listen." Listen to your playing. Here are my suggestions, hope this helps:

Step1: Write down the songs that you want to record.

Step2: record them.

Step3: rest

Step4: Listen to your playing from a beginner's mind. Listen as if you don't know that you were the one playing.

Step5: Analyze your playing. Be truthful to yourself about your playing. Write down what you want to improve. Write down what you have improved. Basically, what you are doing here is like looking in the mirror. You observe what you like and don't like, and try to take note of all that.

Step6: Post them here so we can help you too.

Cheers,
Jose
Positive and negative emotions cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence of your mind. - Napoleon Hill
Quote by Jose Daniel
Hey JWD32792,

That's really good. I think you're on the right path. Can you post some of your recordings of the covers that you mentioned? One of the ways for knowing where you are is to "listen." Listen to your playing. Here are my suggestions, hope this helps:

Step1: Write down the songs that you want to record.

Step2: record them.

Step3: rest

Step4: Listen to your playing from a beginner's mind. Listen as if you don't know that you were the one playing.

Step5: Analyze your playing. Be truthful to yourself about your playing. Write down what you want to improve. Write down what you have improved. Basically, what you are doing here is like looking in the mirror. You observe what you like and don't like, and try to take note of all that.

Step6: Post them here so we can help you too.

Cheers,
Jose

Thanks! That's a huge help. I don't have any recording equipment though but my amp has a direct out, whats the easiest and cheapest way to record myself, i have a mac btw
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by forsakenpromise
I am better than most people who have been playing for 2-3 years. I don't play guitar to be the best, I play as a way to express the way I am feeling through my music.

To be fair if you really do practice ten hours a day you may actually be right, just for the simple fact that what effects your ability is not the amount of time you have a guitar, but the amount of time you actually play it. But your talent wouldn't be as much of a factor as a severe obsessive compulsive disorder. BTW I don't really believe you but I already know you don't care so w/e.
Switzerland is small and neutral! We are more like Germany, ambitious and misunderstood!
Quote by forsakenpromise
I'm not saying I'm better than any of you. I'm just saying I practice every day until my fingers start bleeding or go numb. I worked hard to get to the skill level I'm at, and I did it by myself. I look at playing guitar in a completely different way than any of you

LOL.

You SAY you aren't better than anyone else, then go on to explain just how you
ARE better ...

Since, you're in a christian rock band:

"By thier fruits shall ye know them"

It's pretty simple. Record some stuff and put it in your profile. If you're a credible
witness, it's much better to show it. If all you do is keep saying it, none will believe.
Especially when you contradict yourself in your own posts.
Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, is a very good song to start learning fingerpicking if you haven't already.

As for forsakenpromise, it would be great to post some videos of your playing so we can see if you have the same concept of "good" as we do. Because, if is true what you're saying, then we all could benefit of your methods of learning/practice.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, is a very good song to start learning fingerpicking if you haven't already.

As for forsakenpromise, it would be great to post some videos of your playing so we can see if you have the same concept of "good" as we do. Because, if is true what you're saying, then we all could benefit of your methods of learning/practice.

I plan on doing so as soon as possible. I don't have proper equipment to record right now, and I'm using my phones internet, so it will be a while. I have a cheap camera that my librarys computer won't read right now, so once I get a better one that I can actually download videos from, ill put it on youtube or in my profile here.
My gear:
1969 Gibson SG
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier Full Stack
Dunlop Cry Baby
Digitech TL-2 Hardwire Metal Distortion
Digitech Digital Delay
Quote by forsakenpromise
so... let me get this straight. When I try to post, and actually help someone, and you guys come on here and talk **** about me, I'm the one thats humiliating themselves?
Lmao! Listen, for future reference, I don't care who believes me. I am not saying I'm better than van halen. I'm not saying I'm better than any of you. I'm just saying I practice every day until my fingers start bleeding or go numb. I worked hard to get to the skill level I'm at, and I did it by myself. I look at playing guitar in a completely different way than any of you. I don't see notes and scales. I see feeling. I can start a riff off as a happy carefree melody, then I can move to a completely different emotion. This is the way I play guitar. That is the way it was meant to be played. If you don't agree with my approach, fine. But leave me the **** alone.

I can see smell.

As for the thread starter. A lot of metallica seems complicated at first but is pretty simple. Their solos are a little hard for beginners.
Quote by Ze_Metal
As for the thread starter. A lot of metallica seems complicated at first but is pretty simple. Their solos are a little hard for beginners.

Alright, Nothing Else Matters, I've looked at One and Enter Sandman, any others I should take a look at?

Any other song suggestions would be great as well
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by minifridge
to JWD - johnny b goode is a good song to learn or try to learn and it has some blues oriented stuff thats always good to know. and to forsakenpromise - i just find it ironic that ur sig says ur a noob.

Lol. I know. It pisses me off. Someone else put it up there. I can't change it until I get to a computer.
My gear:
1969 Gibson SG
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier Full Stack
Dunlop Cry Baby
Digitech TL-2 Hardwire Metal Distortion
Digitech Digital Delay
Quote by JWD32792
Alright, Nothing Else Matters, I've looked at One and Enter Sandman, any others I should take a look at?

Any other song suggestions would be great as well

Some of their acoustic work in Fade to black would be some nice to learn. The solo in fade to black isn't hard but I never looked at it when I was a beginner so I can't really tell if you can do it. Maybe make it a long-term goal (By long term I mean maybe work on it in fragments for a few months until you get better)

Hells bells - AcDc is a good one.

What else...

Paranoid - Black Sabbath is pretty easy aswell.

Holy Diver - Dio is a great one to learn once you know palm muting.
Can you play barre chords yet?

That's a really good thing to know. They made understanding the neck so much easier for me, not to mention that once you get the basic shapes down, you can play major and minor chords for any note on the neck.
Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden
Phantom of the Opera - Iron Miaden

Shouldnt be too hard
Quote by steven seagull

QFT

Take enjoyment in what you do. Don't worry about "should"s. If every guitarist did that we woulden't have Jimi Hendrix. Play for yourself, not arbitrary standards made up by others.

Quote by JWD32792

Play what interests you. As with the above, it's all arbitrary. Work on songs you want to learn. If you want ideas for beginner songs, use the search bar, but don't learn based on a "should" or "should not" basis. That's why guitarists can be unique.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by forsakenpromise
through the fire and flames took over a month)

. o O ( I guess he can walk on water too...)

This idiot doesnt know A-Minor from a Bullfrog's ass
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jun 13, 2008,
Quote by Washburnd Fretz

Of course I do. A-Minor=1st finger on the 1st fret of the 2nd string, 2nd finger on the 2nd fret of the 4th string, 3rd finger on the 2nd fret of the 3rd string.
Bullfrog's ass=that thing on the end of your mom's dick.
A wise man said dont argue with fools...
cause people at a distance cant tell who is who...

Back to the thread starter...

Practice some Black Sabbath...ACDC..and they will
really get your ears to recognize certain chords...
I think youre doing very well for 2 months...
Man...at 2 months..*Seek and Destroy's* main
riff was kickin my behind....

You have a very good Idea ..coming here for advice..
Set goals for yourself..but dont be to hard on yourself
if you dont meet them. sometimes these things cant
be timed. Dont neglect things..I used to neglect my
pinky..and not care about rhythm..but they came back
to bite me..lol..Learn now...or learn later.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jun 13, 2008,
Page 1 of 2