How do you play ska music. I know it is walking lines but what tone should I aim for? I listen to The Toasters, Reel Big Fish and some Two Tone stuff but is the anywhere else I could listen to some bass heavy ska?
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
I don't know about listening to newer ska, but older ska is supposed to sound like an upright (to hear that ska style, listen to some Skatalites or ska era Marley). to copy that on a bass, you usually will do palm-muted walking bass lines, preferably with some flatwounds, but they aren't neccessary.
Hope that helps.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Take a listen to some of the "first wave" bands; people often overlook them, but there is some awesome music there. Start with the Skatalites, the gaggle of bands produced by Prince Buster and my favourite, Desmond Dekker. I love Desmond Dekker--he has a great catalogue beyond his most well known hit "The Israelites" that are great to play on bass.
Quote by anarkee
Take a listen to some of the "first wave" bands; people often overlook them, but there is some awesome music there. Start with the Skatalites, the gaggle of bands produced by Prince Buster and my favourite, Desmond Dekker. I love Desmond Dekker--he has a great catalogue beyond his most well known hit "The Israelites" that are great to play on bass.

Desmond Dekker is a legend .

TS, I've found that generally, new ska bassists have quite bright and cutting tones but any tone will work, it's all about what you think sounds right.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by anarkee
Start with the Skatalites
Yes - they are amazing. I'm not much of a Ska fan but I do love the first wave stuff.
Yea I do listen to like the Skatalites (didn't one of them make The Toasters?) and I'll YouTube Desmond Dekker. Thanks!
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
in my limited ska experience, I've always shot for a p-bass sound.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Walking Bass - big part of ska sound
Palm muted electric or upright for early ska period noise
for the 3rd wave stuff any tone will work as long as it isn't to muddy
POUNDING ROOTS THE WHOLE SONG IS A NO NO (well in my mind anyways)

Bands to look at:
Streetlight Manifesto
Less Than Jake
Reel Big Fish
Catch 22
Specials
Mighty Mighty Boss Tones
Spunge
Suburban Legends
Suicide Machines
Voodo Glow Skulls
Goldfinger