Page 1 of 2
Personally, I think that it is their musical style and influence on the musical world, but they have to be older. For example, Velvet Revolver has a classic style and are very influential, but they are 2000's, so not classic, at least not for another 25 years or so.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
They play rock.

Btw, what makes Velvet Revolver classic? They doesn't sound classic at all imo. Sound more like some grunge ****.
Quote by orcs4life
I usually consider 1989-1960 as classic rock. Don't know why, though.

I heard Pearl Jam on a Classic Rock station the other day. I thought it was kinda weird.
i heard rock star by nickleback on the local classic rock station the other day. i dont consider it a classic rock song, but its still pretty good.
Quote by fallenangel20

And thanks MotleyCrueSATD, that was pretty awesome.

Quote by hemi-san
the truth he speaks well, harken unto his word.
Quote by denizenz
Mediocre guitar riffs and solo's played over a simple drum beat while a guy in pants that couldn't fit a ten year old Ethiopian sings about his hair or a convertible car or both at 5 octaves above middle C.

He said classic rock, not hair metal...

Thank you...
For me classic rock ended when 1980 hit. A lot of classic rock bands still went through the 1980s, but none started in the 80s. Think AC/DC. They started well before the 1980s despite having I guess the majority of their success in that period. I still consider them classic rock.
Quote by alyxmelia
so would you consider slayer classic rock?

not being pedantic, just wondering?

they wouldn't be classic rock. he wasn't being very specific.

from that statement, one could assume that.
Quote by denizenz
Mediocre guitar riffs and solo's played over a simple drum beat while a guy in pants that couldn't fit a ten year old Ethiopian sings about his hair or a convertible car or both at 5 octaves above middle C.

Nah thats More like glam rock
Anything that sounds like led zeppelin or queen and has awesome solo's is my idea of classic rock
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by uvq
Nah thats More like glam rock

So I've been told. I typically consider glam rock to be almost a subgenre of classic rock, but what the hell do I know? Much to the scorn of the metal thread, I consider A7X to be metal...
Quote by Metallica_Man55
they wouldn't be classic rock. he wasn't being very specific.

from that statement, one could assume that.

cheers. anyway classic rocks hard to pinpoint, but you know it when you hear it, its all personal interpretation tbh
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
They play rock.

Btw, what makes Velvet Revolver classic? They doesn't sound classic at all imo. Sound more like some grunge ****.

Scott's vocals were grungy, but listen to the instruments. I'm glad Scott is gone.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Classic Rock is basically rock music between 1960 and 1984. It's a stupid term as bands/artists like Neil Young, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, the Velvet Underground and Bowie sound absolutely nothing alike. However, I tend not to classify those bands as CR and instead think of it as a description of boring bands like the Eagles, Free, Foghat etc..
Quote by alyxmelia
cheers. anyway classic rocks hard to pinpoint, but you know it when you hear it, its all personal interpretation tbh

as is most music. you can usually tell what kind of music a band is after listening to them.
i hear soundgarden and nirvana alot on the classic rock stations in my town.. i feel old haha. and im only 16. go figure
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
Classic Rock is basically rock music between 1960 and 1984. It's a stupid term as bands/artists like Neil Young, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, the Velvet Underground and Bowie sound absolutely nothing alike. However, I tend not to classify those bands as CR and instead think of it as a description of boring bands like the Eagles, Free, Foghat etc..

Eagles boring?? what? exsqueeze me, baking powder
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx

how could you think they're boring?
Quote by Shredder Guitar
i hear soundgarden and nirvana alot on the classic rock stations in my town.. i feel old haha. and im only 16. go figure

people that run radio stations are retarded sometimes.
Quote by denizenz
I think of it like the relationship shared by a square and a rectangle.

All glam metal bands are classic rock, but not all classic rock is glam metal.

well said, denizenz.
Quote by KingCheesehead
Isn't classic rock whatever the station who plays them thinks the band is?

no. like i said before, people who run radio stations are retarded sometimes.
Quote by denizenz
So I've been told. I typically consider glam rock to be almost a subgenre of classic rock, but what the hell do I know? Much to the scorn of the metal thread, I consider A7X to be metal...

It kind-of is...i see it as a Pop/Classic rock combo, heavy on the pop side...So naturally sometimes its really cheesy, but sometimes it can be quite enjoyable.

And I agree that A7X is metal...I don't see how you could argue...but w/e
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx

FALLACY!!!!
Quote by Jugthug42
It kind-of is...i see it as a Pop/Classic rock combo, heavy on the pop side...So naturally sometimes its really cheesy, but sometimes it can be quite enjoyable.

And I agree that A7X is metal...I don't see how you could argue...but w/e

of course A7X is metal.

onto the main topic, classic rock is generally older, so you can forget about anything from the 90's and later.
Quote by denizenz

Win.
The.
Page 1 of 2