ive played a DSL at a local place and thought it was awesome. but i got an offer on someone's TSL.

yes. this would be my first tube amp. im aiming to get a 50w/60w (DSL/TSL) head and a 2x12 cab (eventually buying a matching 2x12, i live with my folks and my room is upstairs... therefore... i dont want a halfstack and i think a 2x12 will be more than loud enough to hop over drums when i want it to )

but my main questions are:

A. is it worth $100 to get the TSL over a DSL?

B. do i REALLY need three channels? i play blues, rock, classic rock, alt rock, and megadeth or sabbath on occassion

C. is the TSL's footswitch really that horrid? What footswitch does the DSL take?

but if you guys think i need to know something please tell me
DSL > TSL

More gain and less muddy.
There are many different options which also sound great in that pricerange too however, so don't be in the mindset of "Marshall > All".
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i really hated the tsl i played through at samash. and i've heard likewise on this forum.
and you don't need the three channels at all.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
okay since DSL seems to be the fan favorite i need to ask:

what footswitch do i need? i heard from a local shop owner that it actually needs two of the one button ones. one for changing from clean to lead and one for the reverb.

sidenote: yes i know marshalls arnt the end all be all. (Truth be Told, my dream amp would be an Orange Rockerverb 50 )

but ive got a offer for getting a DSL at $750... and the only other amp that good that cheap ive even seen is a Genz Benz El Diablo used. (i HATE HATE HATE peavey's tube stuff. their solid state combos are amazing... but their Tube amps all have one setting: METAL! and as for Mesa Boogie, i really like their stuff. but i can never get it to work. idk why. my friend's boyfriend has a mesa Dual Rec and i just can never hear a tone i want out of it. so yeah... im not so much a Marshall fanboy as its a good price on a good amp)

i suppose i COULD save up even more and get a new Genz Benz. but honestly i think i'd be happier spending the difference in money on a Slash Wah and a Boss Delay.
Last edited by mp3stalin at Jun 11, 2008,
Well that is a good deal for a DSL I think so if you like it. I would personally go for a Mesa F-50 with that much money. Kinda of british tone with lots of gain. Might be something you are interested in?

Anyways, the DSL should be what you want out of the Marshalls you asked about.
have you ever played a peavey classic 30/50 or a delta blues?
the JSX is also a very versatile amp.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by mp3stalin
(i HATE HATE HATE peavey's tube stuff. their solid state combos are amazing... but their Tube amps all have one setting: METAL!...)

*Ahem*

Anyway - I'm sure Marshall sell a footswitch for the DSL.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
DSL. From a TSL owner. :p As said above they're a bit sharper than the TSL, sounds better.

What do you mean by the TSL's footswitch being horrible? I'll tell you about it if you want. And yeah, you should be able to buy a DSL footswitch no problems.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
*Ahem*

I stand corrected but yeah one of my friends has a XXX and his stepdad has a JSX. i could never get anything but distortion outa either they sounded great when i wanted metal but when i know maybe...4 songs that sound good in that tone... it gets old fast.

Quote by Dobzilla
DSL. From a TSL owner. :p As said above they're a bit sharper than the TSL, sounds better.

What do you mean by the TSL's footswitch being horrible? I'll tell you about it if you want. And yeah, you should be able to buy a DSL footswitch no problems.

same shop owner that was harking the wonders of the DSL before i tried it also harked about how the TSL wouldof been so much better if the footswitch didnt constantly break. something about the chord being really crappy.

also... would the DSL take this one as a switch?

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MAR-P802
Last edited by mp3stalin at Jun 11, 2008,
^My footswitch has stayed fine over like the past year... It's a pretty high duty cable if I'm going to be honest, and you should look after your leads anyway, so it should last a good amount of time to be fair.

I'm not really sure about the footswitch, you'd be better off asking someone with a DSL, mainly 'cause the connector on that footswitch is different to the TSL's, and I'm not sure if the DSL uses one the same as the TSL.
Quote by Dobzilla
^My footswitch has stayed fine over like the past year... It's a pretty high duty cable if I'm going to be honest, and you should look after your leads anyway, so it should last a good amount of time to be fair.

I'm not really sure about the footswitch, you'd be better off asking someone with a DSL, mainly 'cause the connector on that footswitch is different to the TSL's, and I'm not sure if the DSL uses one the same as the TSL.

awesome. can you give some footswitch care tips? (because as you prolly guessed im new to the concept )

and the DSL had what looked like Line Ins. that's why i figured that one would work... but it had two. so i was unsure one footswitch could handle both.
^Just take care of it really, they're pretty beefy anyway haha. Just avoid having the cables at really dodgy acute angles so that you don't damage the wiring inside and whatnot.

And I wasn't sure about the footswitch because my TSL uses a midi connector I think. Either that, or a connector extremely similar to a midi cable. lol
The footswitch that comes with the DSL only changes the channel (PEDL-00001) you need another footswitch (I think it is the one you listed) to also control reverb. The supplied footswitch is pretty durable (wouldn;t worry about it at all.)

Here are a couple of clips of the DSL in case you are interested -

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?value=****&section=user

Good Luck and Enjoy!