So I'm waiting for the MIM Fat Strat that I ordered to come in to the shop and I have already sold my Epi LP. Without a guitar, I borrowed my friend's electric (he never plays it, it was a gift years ago and he plays acoustic). It's a Peavey Raptor EXP. Strat style, HSS configuration...man does it suck! Intonation is way off (and VERY difficult to fix--I've tried. Even with the saddles smack against the back of the bridge it's still VERY sharp), it doesn't hold its tune whatsoever, and the pickups are brutal. Way too bright on the treble side, completely muddy on the bass side. Not to mention the humbucker sounds paper thin. Add that to the extremely old strings and I've got one hell of a machine on my hands. Oddly, it actually plays pretty well as far as the action goes.

There isn't much point to this story other than the fact that I just wanted to say that I feel sorry for anyone who plays this guitar. Anyone have any experience with cheap Peavey guitars? I think this one is from a starter pack of some sorts.
I had one as my first electric - it was good for that purpose only, as a first guitar. After a few months of learning what a good guitar was vs. a bad guitar I quickly dropped it and pickup up one of my Les Pauls and never touched it again!

Starter guitar yes
Anything else no

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
i had one for 6 years. albeit i never plugged it in, but it was pretty decent for a noob guitar.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Quote by Tyler Durden
I had one as my first electric - it was good for that purpose only, as a first guitar. After a few months of learning what a good guitar was vs. a bad guitar I quickly dropped it and pickup up one of my Les Pauls and never touched it again!

Starter guitar yes
Anything else no

Yeah. I only had an Epi LP-100 too, but it was substantially better. Only 3 more weeks of this...

Quote by impeachpedro10
i had one for 6 years. albeit i never plugged it in, but it was pretty decent for a noob guitar.

Yeah, action/playability wise it's actually not that bad, minus the intonation and tuning issues of course. But the tone, oh my. I don't even have a great ear, but it makes me shudder.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by TheProducer
Yeah. I only had an Epi LP-100 too, but it was substantially better. Only 3 more weeks of this...

Yeah, action/playability wise it's actually not that bad, minus the intonation and tuning issues of course. But the tone, oh my. I don't even have a great ear, but it makes me shudder.

i did use it for a jam band about a year ago i just remembered, and i couldnt get a decent tone out of it at. very thin.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Quote by impeachpedro10
i did use it for a jam band about a year ago i just remembered, and i couldnt get a decent tone out of it at. very thin.

Even clean the bass side is so muddy with the middle or neck pickups and the treble is so twangy it hurts. The humbucker is near useless.
Its' a good Newbie axe, but apart from that, just no.EDIT: Got the special not the EXP (so i've got SSS rather than HSS), but the incident is the same - Bridge pickup is trebly like mad, the other 2 are Mud in magnet form, although the Neck pickup can do decent Blues if you play it right.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Quote by Korzack
Its' a good Newbie axe, but apart from that, just no.EDIT: Got the special not the EXP (so i've got SSS rather than HSS), but the incident is the same - Bridge pickup is trebly like mad, the other 2 are Mud in magnet form, although the Neck pickup can do decent Blues if you play it right.

Exactly. I was actually pretty surprised that if you get the amp setting right, the neck pickup actually does a pretty good blues. That's it though. And don't even think of using anything but cleans on the neck pickup, way to boomy and muddy.

EDIT: And excellent choice with the Danko Jones.
My sister has one, but she doesn't play it. I started on it and played it for a few months until I got my first electric. Now it just sits around collecting dust.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.