so i've been searching this forum and i noticed that there werent a lot of threads on strings. Are strings important at all? because i recently popped a string and was gonna buy a new pack but i wanted to know if there was a way to get better sound due to your strings. So do any of you know the role that strings play on your tone, sustain, technique, or overall sound? Which string work best for you? Are different string better for different sounds/genres?

Thanks!
strings make a difference in your tone. if you want bright tones, go for steels. if you want warm tones, go for pure nickels. for me, i use daddario exl110 and ghs progressives. they give me the bright sound, but not too bright, that i like. for blues players, they tend to use thicker gauges. for shredders, light gauges. some use gauges with heavy bottom but light top strings.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Different brands of strings really don't make much of a difference. There's a difference between pure nickel vs. plated steel; roundwounds vs. flatwounds; but there's really not any noticeable tonal difference between regular D'Addarios and regular Ernie Balls.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Different brands of strings really don't make much of a difference.
Yes they do. They really really do. They feel, sound and age differently. Strings are important.
ok, well i play alternative rock to metalcore stuff. i also play some cleans and a few blues songs. what strings would you suggest for me?
what tuning do you use? for drop tunings, i suggest go for heavy gauge bass strings like 52s for the E.
Quote by smb
Yes they do. They really really do. They feel, sound and age differently. Strings are important.

Unless they have some sort of gimmick (Elixirs, etc.), there really isn't. I guarantee you if you used these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EXL110-Nickel-Regular-Light-Electric-Guitar-Strings?sku=100191
And I replaced them with these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-3221-Nickel-Regular-Slinky-Electric-Guitar-Strings-3Pack-?sku=101107

You wouldn't notice.
Quote by One on Sunday
i mostly use standard tuning, but i occasionally go to drop D for some songs

10-46 would be a good gauge. with a good setup, the low E string is not too sloppy for drop D. what tone do you want? bright or warm?
hmm well i'm not sure how to describe it so you have to bear with me here. I use a lot of distortion at times and the tone i'm working for is close to Avenged Sevenfold's tone if you've ever hear them and Guns N Roses. But i'm not sure if that would be bright or warm.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Unless they have some sort of gimmick (Elixirs, etc.), there really isn't. I guarantee you if you used these:
And I replaced them with these:
You wouldn't notice.
I've used both and prefer the d'Addarios.
Quote by smb
I've used both and prefer the d'Addarios.

*coughplaceboeffectcough*

But whatever.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
*coughplaceboeffectcough*

But whatever.
Next you'll try and convince me that I only imagine the difference between beef and chicken.
daddario xl strings would be okay i guess.
Quote by smb
Next you'll try and convince me that I only imagine the difference between beef and chicken.

Uh. Beef and Chicken are two completely different things. D'addario and Ernie Ball standard gauge strings are not.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
Uh. Beef and Chicken are two completely different things. D'addario and Ernie Ball standard gauge strings are not.

Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I wouldn't notice.

I fixed your post for you.

I notice a huge difference between D'Addario EXL's and Ernie Ball Slinkies, just because you can't doesn't mean other people can't. The D'Addarios are much brighter and have a glassier feel, whilst the Ernie Balls are slightly warmer.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
I fixed your post for you.

I notice a huge difference between D'Addario EXL's and Ernie Ball Slinkies, just because you can't doesn't mean other people can't. The D'Addarios are much brighter and have a glassier feel, whilst the Ernie Balls are slightly warmer.

And what you're hearing has also been called the placebo effect.

You want to hear a difference, so you inevitably will.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
And what you're hearing has also been called the placebo effect.

You want to hear a difference, so you inevitably will.

minus the placebo...

Ernie Ball and DR maybe lasted me one month, while D'Addario can last three months without any significant tone loss or change in string feel.

I just put DR's on my GRG, and the tone was great for the first week...but now they feel terrible to play on, and I clean the strings everytime after I play. while the D'addario on my semi-hollow, while maybe not as good of sound as the strings on the DR, but feel so much more smoother.

But, of course, my hands sweat insanely while I play, so I need something that will last.