So this weekend I'm going to record some drum tracks with my band. We will have only two mics, dynamic I think, going ito my USB interface.

What would be the best position for them?

I was thinking just two overheads, one on the left side, one on the right, and maybe just a bit of tweaking.

The other possible option is, micing the bass and the snare as these are the two most important drums, and seeing if this would pick up enough cymbals .etc as well.

Any other tricks or tips? I was thinking I could possibly subtley overdub some bass or snare samples afterwards....

P.S Don't tell me to buy 8 mics and new interface! I don't have any money to spare, we desperately need a PA before we buy anything else.
Yeah, I don't have great drum recordings but usually I do bass drum and either overhead or snare.

You can see how that turned out in my recordings
"Right Now" it's in my profile, but the drums don't come in until near the end.

Of course, part of the problem is that I have cheap drum kit, one of those first drum kit things
Gear:
Ibanez JS100
03 Squier Strat
1980 Ovation Matrix Accoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Washburn T-14 Taurus (Bass)
SWR Working Pro 100 watt bass amp
Mmmm... I don't think that will sound very good, so I would suggest you guys try to get a program such as Battery 3 for the drums. While it will be a hassle to get all the tracks you need programmed and with all the necessary fills, it WILL yield much better results than micing up a drumset with two mics. On my old bands record we didnt have the money to get a full set of mics either so we just borrowed a friends laptop which had Battery 3, Sonar 6 and bunch of other plugins. We programmed in all the drums and recorded the guitar and bass with a Shure PG-57. The result was pretty good.
Mesa/Boogie Road King (v2) 120 Watt (std. tube config) on Traditional Road King Cabs (2x 4x12)- B.C. Rich Custom Shop Warlock 7-string and Modded B.C. Rich Plat. Pro Warlock 7-string - Boss GT-PRO
Quote by juniorfr3ak
Yeah, I don't have great drum recordings but usually I do bass drum and either overhead or snare.

You can see how that turned out in my recordings
"Right Now" it's in my profile, but the drums don't come in until near the end.

Of course, part of the problem is that I have cheap drum kit, one of those first drum kit things

Well at least out drummer has an ok kit, I think. he has a pretty nice snare. On "Right Now", was your drummer playing just on the bass and snare or on the hats too? Cos I could only really hear the snare and bass.

Also, I probably can't afford battery or EZ Drummer .etc. Besides, our drummer would be pissed off lol.
oh, yeah forgot about that. First off, I'm an inept drummer. and yes it was just bass and snare.
Gear:
Ibanez JS100
03 Squier Strat
1980 Ovation Matrix Accoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Washburn T-14 Taurus (Bass)
SWR Working Pro 100 watt bass amp
well if they're both dynamic mics, you probably won't get the good crash sound you'd normally like, but there are a few ways to do a 2 mic setup

you can do an X/Y overhead (criss-crossed over the drummer), you'll get a cool stereo spread, you'll lose some kick drum though

you can set them up with one a couple feet in front of the set, and the other above the drums, it gets a good ambient sound

or you can use one for the kick and one for the overhead, you can figure out how close you want the overhead mic to the snare
no dice.
I did a whole Demo CD with 2 mics on the drums. 1 on the kick, and one overhanging. It was not PRO quality, but it did alright. It was the mixing that was the pain in the ass.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Use a 421 overtop of the snare and high enough to catch the cymbals, and then another mic on the kick (I prefer a 421, but a 57 sounds good too)
yea.. like its been said. put one mic in the kick. and then another mic overhead.

my friends and I did that before.. the best sound we got was when we put the overhead mic behind the drummer, about a foot over his head pointing directly at the snare.

but try whatever works best for you.. if anything i'd try to avoid collecting much cymbal sound.. cause they'll sound pretty trashy since you won't be able to pick them up properly. maybe tell your drummer to make a concious effort to be quieter on his cymbals than he usually would be.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I did a whole Demo CD with 2 mics on the drums. 1 on the kick, and one overhanging. It was not PRO quality, but it did alright. It was the mixing that was the pain in the ass.

Would it be possible to upload clips?

Also, I realise that one one the bass, one overhead may be the best option, but I wouldn't get much of a stereo image that way....

Would I get away with having two overheads and then overdubbing some bass drum samples? I know you couldn't overdub snare samples or it would sound too machine gun like but I might get away with bass....
It is possible to overhang two mics, maybe one from the front pointing downwards, and then one from the back pointing at the snare. Overdubbing some kick might not be a bad idea, although mixing is where most of the work will be done.

May I ask why only 2 mics? It may be worth renting a couple more....

Edit:

Also, here is link

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=94405246

Listen to "Someone Anyone" we think that was the better drum track. And if you notice (havent listened to this in a while) but there is a bit of bass missing.... might be worth the overlays, as long as the post EQ is even with the take.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Jun 12, 2008,
I would do a dynamic on the bass drum and a condenser for an overhead but point it at the snare drum. That usually gets a pretty full sound for what it's worth.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I would try both setups, 2 overhead and then 1 overhead/1 kick. Just record a few quick samples and see what works for you. Either way there you'll probably need to be creative in the eq department.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
I actually have more than 2 mics, but not enough inputs/stands/cables.... if our bassist can borrow this mixer and a few cables there is a chance we could more but I'm not hopeful.