hi there,

is there any of you subscribed to any guitar site like guitartricks.com or guitarmasterclass.net? is it worth the money?

ive been browsing a bit both sites and i am not sure if those places are really helpful :S can someone give me any input? i like guitarmasterclass.net more only cause of Kristofer Dahl (Guitar Tube dude, prick!)

well, what do you recommend me? until now all my practice was getting tabs from the internet and trying them (i also do some madeup work with scales and all that), and I dont have access to any good teacher where I live
You can generally learn everything you need to from free sites like UG, and the occasional guitar magazine/book.
Quote by blue_strat
You can generally learn everything you need to from free sites like UG, and the occasional guitar magazine/book.

+1

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
dude i had a teacher for 6 months when i started and since i dropped him and used tabs ive not only got ALOT better the last 3 months, its alot more fun too. Teachers are kinda boring and im assuming that the sites wont be much better.
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Blue_strat is right. I did learn a lot within a year and a half that way. I dug here in there on the Web and found lots and lots of free stuff. In additon to that, I bought few guitar method books. If you think you need more, then you can go with those sites though I'd rather go wth a teacher for few lessons.
Adamsville2K
Fender FM 210R
I wouldn't do it, because the reason you pay for lessons (at least, in my opinion) is so that they can be personalized to fit your needs, which a website can't do that well.

Quote by blue_strat

^^^and that^^^
I actually found online lessons really helpful to me.

I was paying $60 an hour for a lesson at my place, and $60 could have got me three months of solid tutorials and lessons.

Fair enough they may not be perfect, but surely for the price you pay they are great value.
i wouldt pay for lessons over the net ..i would pay for a teacher ..just to get u started and after a while u can continue on ur own.

and u can find free lessons on the web.
Learn how to read tab then we'll teach you the basics... I have friends who are good and self tought
Guitars gear
Fender Nashville Telecaster
Vox AD30 Valvetronix
Zoom 707 multi effects
Quote by slash=legend
Learn how to read tab then we'll teach you the basics... I have friends who are good and self tought

i do know how to read tabs and all that, and I already have some basic skill (http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Gacel), but what I think it could be helpful about one of those sites is that I could find all the stuff I want in the same place.

I mean, if I want to find cool country licks I can surf the internet until I find something or go directly to my paid guitar site and find the stuff right away.

Also the free lessons I've seen look really good to me and with very good explanations, and thats something I cant get from a lone tab.

I think I will try it 1 month and see how it goes.
I had been playing for a year before I got a teacher. $25 for a half hour lesson. (If anyone here has heard of Men at Work, my teacher is their saxophone player. Don't laugh, he still is very good at guitar). I was going alright before, but I'm improving even faster now
Official Member of the 'Fly your australian flag high club' for the really patriotic Australians: P.M Dire straits to join
You can learn everything online and buy yourself... but its way easier if you have a really good teacher.

He will point out things you ignore or you miss (being a nano-second too early or too late on the beat, incorrect fingering or incorrect picking, incorrect way of holding your hand while picking, reducing unnecessary tension in the hand, etc., etc.)

just make sure he's a really good teacher (for example ask him what genres he teaches, etc., ask him to play a lick or two for you, or bring in a lick for him and see how long it takes for him to play it and stuff. (something short, or relatively short: i.e. 2,4, or 6 bars max). and see how fast he can play it on tempo. ask how long hes been teaching, what level some of his other students are at, etc.

BE VERY CRITICAL of your guitar teacher. There are a lot of teachers that do not know what they're doing. There are alot also that will help you immensely with each lesson. My classical guitar teacher used to teach me metal electric and he got me 20bpms up on a lick within a week, just by readjusting the way i held the pick, i held my hands, taught me to keep my fingers as close as possible to the strings without touching, taught me to only use the necessary amount of force to hit the strings rather than unnecessarily high force, etc.

Also, if a teacher says he teaches every genre of music watch out... like they say "jack of all trades, master of none" get someone who specializes in the genre you want to learn (or something close to it if you can't... for example, where I'm located there are almost no publicly advertised "death metal" teachers, so i got a shred guitar teacher instead and considered a jazz guitar teacher too. both genres are close to tech death metal which is what I love, and if you can shred really well or play great fast jazz you can probably play death metal.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.