I heard somewhere that Krylon changed their formula to a not so guitar friendly formula? I need a nice white spray paint to do bevels and a stencil on my guitar. Should I just try to find a spray paint for plastic?
Quote by Seef
I heard somewhere that Krylon changed their formula to a not so guitar friendly formula? I need a nice white spray paint to do bevels and a stencil on my guitar. Should I just try to find a spray paint for plastic?

your guitar is plastic????
Quote by andy331
your guitar is plastic????

I read in the Ultimate tutorial for painting that that's the kind of paint you need...

I might have just interpreted it wrong.
I just recently used krylon on my refinish job(in my sig) and it is working great so far.

All I did was
Sand(scuffed enough for the primer to stick)
Primer(lots of nice even coats)
then Color

after that you coat it with lacquer spray.

I'm not sure where you got the paint for plastic info, you only need that stuff for a pickgaurd or control cover painting.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
If you're worried about the possibility of a changed formula, then head to lowes and get their plastic paint. it's made by Valspar and works good for it's intended use. Although i can't speak for using it on a guitar body because I painted plexiglas with it.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Quote by thefrigginbob
I just recently used krylon on my refinish job(in my sig) and it is working great so far.

All I did was
Sand(scuffed enough for the primer to stick)
Primer(lots of nice even coats)
then Color

after that you coat it with lacquer spray.

I'm not sure where you got the paint for plastic info, you only need that stuff for a pickgaurd or control cover painting.

The primer finish is actually the finish I'm looking for. What primer did you use?

And the info was right in the sticky.
At first I used rustoleum "painters touch" primer... but I ended up switching to standard Krylon Primer, because I started buy my supplies from a different place.

If I'm understanding correctly you want to just repaint the bevels and add a stencil to the original finish? Or are you going to repaint the whole thing?

I used the solid color painting tutorial and Invader Jims Painting Tutorial(mostly this one)
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
At first I used rustoleum "painters touch" primer... but I ended up switching to standard Krylon Primer, because I started buy my supplies from a different place.

If I'm understanding correctly you want to just repaint the bevels and add a stencil to the original finish? Or are you going to repaint the whole thing?

I used the solid color painting tutorial and Invader Jims Painting Tutorial(mostly this one)

I'm just going to add bevels to it. I read the tutorial but it said use Krylon ( one said use plastic paint ) but I read somewhere else that Krylon is no longer guitar friendly but I guess that's wrong. I guess I'm set then... thanks!
Quote by Seef
I'm just going to add bevels to it. I read the tutorial but it said use Krylon ( one said use plastic paint ) but I read somewhere else that Krylon is no longer guitar friendly but I guess that's wrong. I guess I'm set then... thanks!

No problem, sorry I'm not an expert on all this, I just wanted to give you my experience.

Good Luck
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by Seef

i think krylon paint is enamel, it was for a while but i guess people are finally noticing. Supposedly the changed the formula for better shelf live. I hear dupli-color automotive is good. The can with a suv on it.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Just a couple of points:
1. The old Krylon is Acrylic Lacquer and is still available, it'll say dries in 12 minutes and "Interior-Exterior", and it has 5 balls in a circle.
2. The new Krylon is Enamel (difficult for guitar finishing) and it'll say dries in 10 minutes and "Indoor-Outdoor"
3. The other option is Duplicolor car paint, it's also Acrylic lacquer and slightly pricier than Krylon, although both are made by Sherwin-Williams.
4. If you're spraying a bevel, it'll be tricky not to do the whole thing because if you scuff sand just specific areas, for the bevel and stripes, the final polish/buffing might not be too pleasing. It'll be simpler to re-do the whole thing, less problems with the final finish, just an opinion.

Good Luck!

Quote by Ippon
Just a couple of points:
1. The old Krylon is Acrylic Lacquer and is still available, it'll say dries in 12 minutes and "Interior-Exterior", and it has 5 balls in a circle.
2. The new Krylon is Enamel (difficult for guitar finishing) and it'll say dries in 10 minutes and "Indoor-Outdoor"
3. The other option is Duplicolor car paint, it's also Acrylic lacquer and slightly pricier than Krylon, although both are made by Sherwin-Williams.
4. If you're spraying a bevel, it'll be tricky not to do the whole thing because if you scuff sand just specific areas, for the bevel and stripes, the final polish/buffing might not be too pleasing. It'll be simpler to re-do the whole thing, less problems with the final finish, just an opinion.

Good Luck!

Hmm I have no experience with re painting a guitar but I mean I can't see how I'd mess up... I've followed a couple threads on people doing it. But I don't know about redoing the whole thing. I have a transparent black finish so it would be hard... not sure what I'm going to do. But thanks for the info!
Quote by Ippon
Just a couple of points:

You can also tell by the lid and spray cap.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Actually, you don't HAVE to use 'paint for plastic' for pickguards and stuff. I painted a bastardized old strat pickguard with Krylon gloss black and a coat of polyurethane and it looks beautiful (except for a belt sander mark that the paint wouldn't cover up...and a fingerprint).