...But I'm looking for opinions on some possible alternatives. Ideas? I've noticed this model is pretty popular with UGer's. I mostly play metal, and my main guitar is a Jackson Kelly fitted EMG 81/85 pickups. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Im in the same situtation. Im just not sure on how it sounds really heavily distorted. I know good metal tones aren't gonna be availble with the on board distortion. My roommate had one for about a month. Seemed like a good one. I never messed with it too much though.
yeah I'm in the same boat as you guys. I have played on one at a gig I did last month but I didn't really get to mess about with the settings but it did sound pretty awesome
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Take your guitar into your your local shop and play one there...they should have one since theyre popular amps. They wont mind since you planning on purchasing one(even if you dont plan on getting one from them, just dont tell them that part)
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Quote by Lamrick21
Take your guitar into your your local shop and play one there...they should have one since theyre popular amps. They wont mind since you planning on purchasing one(even if you dont plan on getting one from them, just dont tell them that part)

Yeah I definately planned on that I already checked and theres one at my local shop. I'm just wondering what else I should look for when I'm there. I don't trust the opinion of any of the salesmen in my town there all stupid and usually really high.
i will say, as i keep saying over and over, it does take time to tweak this amp due to all the parameters.

for those that like it simple (like a Fender) this amp may get frustrating at first. for those that like all the knobs and options like me - you'll love this amp.

lots of diff sounds. versatile amp but not great at any one thing. hard to beat if on a budget at $400 - $500
Quote by Ineedmoney427
Yeah I definately planned on that I already checked and theres one at my local shop. I'm just wondering what else I should look for when I'm there. I don't trust the opinion of any of the salesmen in my town there all stupid and usually really high.

what is your budget?
what style do you play?
new or used?
home or gig?
i played on the 112 last wenesday. i was very impressed great tone and distorted tone at low volume. for sure on my list also.
i can get some pretty brutal tones out of my 212
i love it.
if you thought you couldnt get enough gain theres a gain boost button as well
i think its great for that kind of stuff.
Fender Custom Tele, FMT HH
Michael Kelly Patriot Black
Peavey VK 212 (modded)
Member #24 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
Even if there wasn't enough gain, you could boost it with an OD pedal. I've heard great things about, and from my experience it has great tone.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
what is your budget?
what style do you play?
new or used?
home or gig?

Preferably under $700
Rock and Metal
New preferably
home for now.
Quote by Rev. V!
LOVE my 1x12, just wish I had bought the 2x12....
The only thing I wish it had was an effects loop.

Also, be aware, the do NOT come with a footswitch, and you have to buy one made for the Valvekings, you can't use an old beater peavey footswitch.....

There is most definitely an FX loop right on the front between the reverb and power switches. Also, it can get REALLY heavy, especially when you get a better speaker that won't get muddy when the lows kick in.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Ineedmoney427
Preferably under $700
Rock and Metal
New preferably
home for now.

check
check
check
check

but there are other good amps for $700, especially if you change mind on going used.

but if you go Valveking you have some cash for possible new speakers, tubes or OD (if needed). God I love my Bad Monkey.

and i think that other guy just had an older version or something as it would pretty hard to miss the effects loop send/return.
as the user above stated ...yes u could do MUCH better for 700 if u go used ...
i also have the vk (122 that is ) + my bad monekey =s3x :P ... the vk stock is pretty muddy on the gain chanell ..so if u buy it new u could swap tubes and speaker as u preffere

good luck
Right on guys thanks. Sounds like this is the one unless I come across a deal on something used.
not a metal amp. doesnt have the right tone for metal. im not saying you can't play metal on it. it's fine for it. it's just that there are lot better amps for metal.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
not a metal amp. doesnt have the right tone for metal. im not saying you can't play metal on it. it's fine for it. it's just that there are lot better amps for metal.

Care to name a couple?
I'm just going to add that if you're test driving a VK 212, you're going to have to really crank it to get a good idea of what it can do, which may or may not be kosher with the shop. Its a very powerful amp. Don't expect much out of it at conservative guitar shop levels. You may also want to ask the shop if you can throw a tubescreamer, or the likes in front of it.
Quote by Jason43
I'm just going to add that if you're test driving a VK 212, you're going to have to really crank it to get a good idea of what it can do, which may or may not be kosher with the shop. Its a very powerful amp. Don't expect much out of it at conservative guitar shop levels. You may also want to ask the shop if you can throw a tubescreamer, or the likes in front of it.

Sounds good. My local guys are fairly cool if it's not too busy they'll let me see what it's made of.
right - and maybe check out the 112 as 100 watts is hella loud

cab options may not work for you tho.

as has been stated over and over this amp is not great any one thing (including metal or cleans) it just does lots of things well for $400

when my budget increases or i get a bonus or something i will prolly get something else in next couple of years but i will prolly keep this thing

imo
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
right - and maybe check out the 112 as 100 watts is hella loud

cab options may not work for you tho.

as has been stated over and over this amp is not great any one thing (including metal or cleans) it just does lots of things well for $400

when my budget increases or i get a bonus or something i will prolly get something else in next couple of years but i will prolly keep this thing

imo

Yeah I was thinking that 100 Watts maybe overkill. Also I'm still wondering what else is comparable to this amp hardware wise. I'm willing to spend more money on a better a product, it'll just take a bit longer to get. Basically I'm wanting a good tube amp and this is the main one I've looked at since it seems to be popular here.
I'd say if you're looking for more things to try out try a Bugera 333XL 212 combo, I like it more than the VK I played, and I thought for metal the 333XL or even the 333 would both be MUCH better for metal, because they have ton's more on-board gain.

Also, there's three channels (I do believe both come with a footswtich), which is always nice (IMO). Plus it's only like $50 more than the VK (I think, the 333XL is another $50 more though, but if you compare and contrast I think it's way worth it).

Although, they're both 120w all tube. So you're not going to get the best tone practicing at bedroom-levels, but IMO the XL on low volumes had a better tone than the VK cranked... But that's me.
Quote by bill_talent
i can get some pretty brutal tones out of my 212
i love it.
if you thought you couldnt get enough gain theres a gain boost button as well
i think its great for that kind of stuff.

I use a H&K Warp Factor pedal with my 212...I can get the *Spot on* tones
of bands that use High Gain Peaveys. The Lead channel to me is virtually useless
now..I wish it didnt even have it. Using pedals through the effects loop and front end
is much better. The 212 does not get any credit for metal but it can produce with
the right pedals.

The cleans are really nice and the reverb is pretty good. You can manipulate this
amp to play whatever u want.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
^yeah i think the VK 212 is 100 watts but basically the same as 120. hella loud.

yes there are better amps if you are willing to stretch your budget. i personally was turned off by the Bugera but there are plenty of ppl that swear by it.

maybe what you should do is make a short list, craft a good thread, maybe include some pics or urls and start a thread over in Guitar Gear and Acces as it will open up the discussion a bit more.

Please don't just list a bunch of URLs tho as that gets boring. Think thru it, provide total budget, new or used, gig worthy, possible cab, music style range, etc.

just tryin to help you out bro
I also think the best answer is to just take your Guitar to your local shop
and play it on some amps. Your ear is the ultimate judge.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett