Hey im now saving up some money to upgrade my equipment so i have a roland micro cube and a ibanez rg321ex (rg2ex1) so for my next upgrade should i go with an amp or a guitar? i cant open up the volume of a tube amp and also they are very expensive so its just for house practice but i can take the guitar outside to studio. im confused buying a roland cube 30x would make much difference than my micro cube? because its bigger and more whats so maybe the unwanted background noise coming from micro cube would be less in 30x. so i need your advices
Amp

A good amp will make a ****ty guitar sound great (not that your guitar is ****ty or anything, just stating)

but it doesnt work vice versa unfortunately.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Yea unfortunately so what amp can i buy after micro cube which will be considered as an good upgrade? I'will be playing at home and i want proper high gain amp. I want to play Bullet For My Valentine, In Flames, Children of Bodom kind of music, thats important for me...

EDIT: A Marshall AVT??
no, not a marshall AVT....

The Vox valvetronix sound great considering they are hybrid modelling amps.

If you want High Gain solid state, you are not going to have an easy time.

Try out a smaller Randall amp. They are probably one of the best sounding high gain solid state amps out there...
Quote by Rusty_axe
Buy a Marshall 50vt or a Vox ADVT50!

NO.

Quote by blind.quardian
Yea unfortunately so what amp can i buy after micro cube
which will be considered as an good upgrade? I'will be playing at home and i want proper high gain amp. I want to play Bullet For My Valentine, In Flames, Children of Bodom kind of music, thats important for me...

EDIT: A Marshall AVT??

For God's sake, don't buy a Marshall AVT. Buy a Bugera 6262 if you want a good metal sound on a budget. The Randall RG50Tc is okay too, but not that good.
If you want a good metal sound from a tube amp at low volume you can always buy an attenuator. But theres plenty of good solid state metal amps too, like this one Ampeg amp (can't remember it's name unfortunately(Suffocation and plenty of other bands use/have used them)) and then Randalls (Dime used them) of course.

Edit: the Ampeg amp I meant is called "Ampeg VH-140".
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Jun 11, 2008,
Randall RG50TC might be too overpriced for me need something between 200 max. 300 doesnt have to be tube amp just need a proper metal sound...and not bad cleans.
save more i'd say. $500 will do you much better.

or you can go ahead and get something w/ 300, but it wont be that much of an upgrade, it'll just be louder that's all
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
then stick w/ ur micro bro!!

wait till u save up at least 500 and you will have an amp that you won't wanna get rid of for a good while. i'm tellin ya, if you get a $300 amp that just gets you by, you're only gonna be happy for like a week.

go play a SS amp and then a nice tube amp right after that, then you'll see what i'm talking about. $500 puts you in the range of buying a used 5150. take advice from the experienced guys, we know what we're talking about
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I can only buy randall rg50tc in my budget i guess dont think we have peavey amps in Turkey...So im saying again I CANT TURN THE VOLUME UP still should i buy a tube amp?
If you CANNOT ABSOLUTELY CANNOT turn the volume up, and want High gain, then go with the Randall for sure.
Quote by blind.quardian
Randall RG50TC might be too overpriced for me need something between 200 max. 300 doesnt have to be tube amp just need a proper metal sound...and not bad cleans.

With that budget you're not going to be able to upgrade your guitar or amp, so this thread is pointless.

And you don't need to turn the volume up on a tube amp to get a good sound. This is always blown out of propotion by people. A high gain tube amp is built to SOUND GOOD AT LOW VOLUMES. All their distortion is in the preamp and they're all mostly higher wattage because power tube saturation isn't a desirable tone from most amps for playing metal, it also increases head room on the clean channels so they don't break up early and have unusable cleans.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 11, 2008,
Thanks for your answers so i will try to save up for a randall rg50tc how loud will it sound at its lowest volume?
Why don't you go and try one and find out for yourself.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I knew you were gonna say this xD i live in Turkey and i think its not clear who will be the new distributor of randall so i dont think i can find one to try... Will it be a lot louder than a 15 watt SS amp at lowest volume or still same with it?
Proabably about the same, maybe a little louder, but I couldn't tell you for sure since 15W really isn't a measure of how loud the amp is. Some 15W amps are really loud and others are not. Also depends what kind of pot is used for the volume knob on the amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
RG50TC > Valveking imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^hey calm down...it's not like he's that neptune guy or anything....LMAO
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by timi_hendrix
I vote "new thread".

Oh wait, you make one of those every other fucking day.

So What ? Maybe its that i cant get a good answer so im opening a new thread can i t be